What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

E

EddieJ

I guess that it largely depends upon the terrain that you ride on, and the use.

Up until getting the plus size bike, I have long used Hutchinson Toro's for about 8 months of the year, then switching to Hutchinson DZO for the remainder. Both suited my needs perfectly.

Currently on the plus size, the OE Nobby Nics are doing their job okay, and despite the very muddy terrain that I tend to ride, I'm not having any issues with grip. I might well change to a Magic Mary on the front, which what I currently run on the analogue mtb, but all the time that I'm not having any issues, I don't really see the point of spending money just for the sake of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I guess that it largely depends upon the terrain that you ride on, and the use.

Up until getting the plus size bike, I have long used Hutchinson Toro's for about 8 months of the year, then switching to Hutchinson DZO for the remainder. Both suited my needs perfectly.

Currently on the plus size, the OE Nobby Nics are doing their job okay, and despite the very muddy terrain that I tend to ride, I'm not having any issues with grip. I might well change to a Magic Mary on the front, which what I currently run on the analogue mtb, but all the time that I'm not having any issues, I don't really see the point of spending money just for the sake of it.
Agreed, if they are working no point changing. Is it me or is the cost of tyres getting ridiculous? More expensive than car tyres!

E

EddieJ

I was thinking just the same when I started to look at plus size tyres.

I tend to buy tyres either when they are are in sales, or are new 'take off' tyres which are sold on Ebay, or I just blag them. :)

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
I think Eddie makes a good point, a lot depends on where and when you ride, local conditions and the time of year will all have a role in deciding on your preferred tyres.

But I do think, that in general Ebikes require a more robust tyre than you would otherwise use on an analogue machine.

Weight really is of little consequence for "most" riders of E-mtb's, so it makes sense to get the strongest, most puncture resistant tyres that offer the most grip available to enable you to exploit more fully the additional performance potential that E-bikes offer.

Currently I think the sweet spot in size sits somewhere around the 2.4 to 2.6 mark. Plenty enough manufactures offer Heavy duty high grip options in this size, without getting too silly on price, (some of the 2.8 Maxis options nearly £100.00 :eek:) 2.4 - 2.6 still offers plenty of volume for that plush ride.

Currently its a 2.5 Magic Mary DH ultra soft upfront and a 2.5 WTB HD High grip Convict on the rear, works for me :D

E

EddieJ

One tyre that I did use that offered phenomenal grip, was the WTB Vigilante.

Two downsides with them though. Firstly, they really do drag and slow the bike down, zapping valuable battery resource. Something that I am very conscious of. And secondly, they wee a complete nightmare to get on and off. I have never struggled to fit or remove tyres, but they were the exception. In reality though, it was more likely the rim profile that the tyre.

I generally do two types of riding when in the UK. The first type is riding through very tight, narrow and muddy woodland, with plenty of wet roots and fallen trees. This is all low speed riding, as most of my fun is almost trials based.

The second tyre of riding is on the South Downs, where the pace is faster, but I want range. That is were the Toro's really scored.

ChrisP

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
East Yorkshire
My front, do it all, tyre of choice for virtually every condition......

The one and only Magic Mary

IMG_1213.JPG

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Always been a Schwalbe Magic Mary/Hans D fanboy however they didn’t have suitable DH casings in 2.8” when I set up my bike so went with Maxxis Minions DHF & DHR. They have performed without issue in all conditions and have lasted double the time I would have expected from my usual combo, considering the cost they should do though!!
There will be a dilemma when they need changing as the Schwalbe Addix compounds promise a lot.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
One tyre that I did use that offered phenomenal grip, was the WTB Vigilante.
Really? They came on my Mega and I didn't rate them at all, but I had been using Magic Marys on my Camber before. The Vigilantes never gave me any confidence that the front would go where I needed it to. They certainly drag too.

I've got 2.8"Nobby Nics on the Lekky Trekky and whilst they are better than the Vigilantes I'd rather have a Mary on the front for the sloppy conditions currently seen at the FoD. They weren't too bad at Cannock though, so trail conditions make a huge difference. A second front wheel would be ideal really.

E

EddieJ

As I said in my very first sentence "I guess that it largely depends upon the terrain that you ride on, and the use" and for my use and terrain the WTB Vigilante performed without fault. ☺

I also said that they drag.

Last edited by a moderator:

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Ultimately, I look at it like this...............is the tyre heavy or draggy?.........I dont care - I have an ebike.
Is it tough and have plenty of grip everywhere?......that's the tyre for me! :)
lol thats my thinking too but I did a bit of experimenting and its surprised me how much draggy tyres affect battery life. common sense when you think about it but I was just "its draggy but im on an ebike who cares!" I do care a bit more now and my battery lasts loads longer

ChrisP

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
East Yorkshire
lol thats my thinking too but I did a bit of experimenting and its surprised me how much draggy tyres affect battery life. common sense when you think about it but I was just "its draggy but im on an ebike who cares!" I do care a bit more now and my battery lasts loads longer
I'm sure it must make a difference on battery life and if I went on long rides all the time I would definitely have to take it into consideration. I rarely do rides over 22/23 miles so draggy tyres aren't a problem for me.
Again, it comes back to that extra set of wheels I keep tempting myself with ;-)

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Always been a Schwalbe Magic Mary/Hans D fanboy however they didn’t have suitable DH casings in 2.8” when I set up my bike so went with Maxxis Minions DHF & DHR. They have performed without issue in all conditions and have lasted double the time I would have expected from my usual combo, considering the cost they should do though!!
There will be a dilemma when they need changing as the Schwalbe Addix compounds promise a lot.

Hey Eckythump,
Schwalbe released a 2.6 Magic Mary last year with a DH casing and with their new Ultra Soft Compound if you are interested? They weigh a ton though... quoted weight is over 1400 grams ?, this is where you will need to decide on ‘your’ own preferred balance of...... terrain you are riding v sidewall stiffness v grip v width v weight v cost.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The 2.6” and addix were not available when I equipped my bike.
I have had success on my regular bike running lighter casings with Huck Norris inserts, I think I will do the same on my ebike when it is time to change out the rubber.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
they do a magic mary 2.8 in an addix compound they are lighter than the minions at least mine are. I didnt get on with minion DHF but 2 x 2.8 minion DHR is a good setup
I do like a MM up front, you are right about the DHR, they roll much better than a MM or Hans Dampf.
I have been very impressed how well the Maxxis tyres have stood up to wear, far better than Schwalbe’s, none of that tearing where the tread blocks meet the casing.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I really disliked the stock 3.0 Levo tires. Even at 18psi in the front tire, I could wash it out. The other major issue I had was the Specialized purgatory control tires had Stan’s sealant seeping through the side wall.
I switched to Maxxis DHF 2.8 about a month after I picked up my first Levo in May of 2016. This became my tire of choice for most of that year. It had really good grip, tire wear and they were headache free when setting them up for tubeless. Specialized announced the Butcher 2.8 late in the year and I decided to try those out when I needed fresh tires. The treads are almost the same as the Maxxis DHFs but they were a couple hundred grams lighter. I used those until I switched to 29” wheels. Again I went with the Maxxis DHFs in 2.5”and started using Cush Core tire inserts. After the Maxxis tires wore out I gave the new 29x2.6” Butchers a try. Been using these for 9 months now

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Did you feel the ‘volume token’ effect on your tyres with the Cushcore inserts? Sounds an interesting concept.
I’m with you on 3” tyres, I didn’t get on with the Specialized tyres or Nobby Niks.
Also wholeheartedly agree on the Maxxis 2.8” Minions, fit and forget.....

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Did you feel the ‘volume token’ effect on your tyres with the Cushcore inserts? Sounds an interesting concept.
I’m with you on 3” tyres, I didn’t get on with the Specialized tyres or Nobby Niks.
Also wholeheartedly agree on the Maxxis 2.8” Minions, fit and forget.....
I’ve never heard of the volume token effect. I can tell you that I have a hard time riding bikes without them. They have been a real game changer for me. I would not have ran carbon 29” wheels on my S-Works without them. I am a big guy that runs lower than normal pressures on everything and I wanted the extra protection the CushCore gives me through rocky technical riding. They also make the bike feel like it has power steering through the corners.
I just wish they we’re so difficult to install. I installed them on 3 bikes in one day and my hands were hurting so much by the end of it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles