What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I saw the video Phil (Skills with Phil) Kmetz did on installing them and they looked a pain to do!
Because these inserts take up quite a bit of volume in the tyre and are closed cell foam it is reckoned to have the same effect on the air pressures in your tyres as volume tokens do in suspension. The pressure ramps up more quickly as they are compressed reducing pinch flats even more along with making rim dings less likely.
I went down the Huck Norris route for the same reasons you did running carbon rims on my regular bike....

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I know what’s works best for us on pedal bikes and tyre size makes a big difference too where drag us concerned . Nobby nick is my faveourite all round tyre for grip and easy rolling , majic Mary almost twice the wieght so only used when required .
The first feeling I got riding an ebike on 2.8 tyres was the drag and vague feeling over loose or muddy surfaces , I felt smaller 2.5 or 2.6 would be better for most British conditions , as for the wieght of carcass I guess I’ll find out the hard way as usual .

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I run 2.8 magic mary addix soft on the front and 2.8 magic mary speedgrip on the back, tyre pressures 18 rear 15 front works really well in the muddy forest and not to much drag. my wife runs 2.8 minions and my bike is faster rolling than hers. will probably switch to knobby nick on the back in the summer, maybe
I tried smaller tyres 2.4-2.5 but it make the bb a bit low and I get the occasional pedal strike, I also dont think grip is as good

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I run 2.8 magic mary addix soft on the front and 2.8 magic mary speedgrip on the back, tyre pressures 18 rear 15 front works really well in the muddy forest and not to much drag. my wife runs 2.8 minions and my bike is faster rolling than hers. will probably switch to knobby nick on the back in the summer, maybe
I tried smaller tyres 2.4-2.5 but it make the bb a bit low and I get the occasional pedal strike, I also dont think grip is as good
I’ve always thought there’s a risk of more pedal strikes going to a small than 2.8” tyre on the Levo. I’d like to try the DHF/DHR combo 2.8” at some point. Many people rate these.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i tried the minions didnt think they were as good as the MM,s but they worked best for me with the DHR on the front and the DHF on the back

J dog

Feb 16, 2018
Essex
Specialized 2.6 Hillbilly on front for the mud, great tyre. Seems to grip better with a bit more air in it (20-25 psi) Guess being firmer drives the knobs into the mud. Otherwise use the Butchers that came with the bike.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had a play with tyre pressures today. According to my pump I was running 9psi rear and 10.5psi front. Wacked them up to 20psi front and rear and in the dry, hardpacked conditions today it was bloody horrible! Harsh, jarring ride, and I lost the front on a slow speed hairpin. Dropped them to 15psi for the remainder of the ride which was much better.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I had a play with tyre pressures today. According to my pump I was running 9psi rear and 10.5psi front. Wacked them up to 20psi front and rear and in the dry, hardpacked conditions today it was bloody horrible! Harsh, jarring ride, and I lost the front on a slow speed hairpin. Dropped them to 15psi for the remainder of the ride which was much better.
I also much prefer a lower pressure ~12-15 psi for me is perfect.

J dog

Feb 16, 2018
Essex
Put a Specialized Hillbilly 2.6 on front for the mud, which works really well, I find a bit more pressure helps with driving the lugs into the mud for grip. Otherwise use the standard Butchers that came with the bike.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I have just upgraded to Schwalbe Magic Mary Ultra Soft DH casing 2.6 and gone to a lighter wheel set which is 30mm inner width. Loving the grip, the super stiff sidewalls and the lower psi ?

ccrdave, look what I have done to your old bike ?

9555C0FC-1944-4CED-9503-90BD0A4ED61B.jpeg

96EA4BA8-416A-404E-8E30-AE94B9702AFA.jpeg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Magic Mary wins the day , daughters boyfriend yesterday at Gawton downhill race Struggling with front end traction with a minion dhf lying 11th place , fitted a used magic Mary and took 2nd place

Last edited:

Sylvain

Feb 23, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I'm running the original LEVO 2017 Spec 3.0 tires, mostly in soft snow for now. I don't think they have big enough knobs to give me the traction I need. Or maybe I'm expecting too much of plus size tires in the snow. If you have recommendations on that, let me know.

I'm looking into the DHR/DHF combo for spring, summer and fall. I'm thinking of a 2.8 DHR and a 2.5 DHF, to have a more precise front end I think. Does that make sense? I ride a lot of wet/mud year round and a lot of rock gardens.

Re pressure: I tend to run higher PSI in the back as I like to recklessly zip through rock gardens and I want to avoid damaging the rims. Last summer I ruined a brand new DHR on my Meta 4.2 while fooling around in stairs at 22 PSI. I'd like to give the cushcore a try but this system is pretty expensive.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Magic Mary wins the day , daughters boyfriend yesterday at Gawton downhill race Struggling with front end traction with a minion dhf lying 11th place , fitted a used magic Mary and took 2nd place

I rest my case re the Magic Marys ?????

Nextday.bike tyres website

If you want indestructible, super stiff sidewalls, can run at very low psi go for
2.6 EVO UltraSoft SnakeSkin APEX DH Double Carcass 27.5"+ Fat/Plus at 1400 grams for £47.

If you want thinner sidewalls, NOT my recommendation go for
2.6 EVO Soft SnakeSkin TL Easy E-25 27.5"+ Fat/Plus at 1000 grams £55

If you want 2.8 they do those as well but not in Super Gravity or DH sidewalls, I am sure they are working on them in their tyre factory as I can now see they have 2 different ebike tyre ratings now although I can’t find any of the E-50 tyres yet....

E-25 which is up 25kph and
E-50 which is up to 45kph not sure why they didnt name that E-45??

8C5C6E2E-FCF7-4D63-87CF-8DDC702720EE.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yeah, cos no one ever goes over 25kmh off road...

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The MM is undoubtably a better mud tyre than a Minion.
In contrast a minion runs faster & lasts longer on hardpack. I appreciate they are advertised to be aggressive all purpose tyres. They are at different ends of the scale to me though.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I'm looking into the DHR/DHF combo for spring, summer and fall. I'm thinking of a 2.8 DHR and a 2.5 DHF, to have a more precise front end I think. Does that make sense? I ride a lot of wet/mud year round and a lot of rock gardens.

Re pressure: I tend to run higher PSI in the back as I like to recklessly zip through rock gardens and I want to avoid damaging the rims. Last summer I ruined a brand new DHR on my Meta 4.2 while fooling around in stairs at 22 PSI. I'd like to give the cushcore a try but this system is pretty expensive.

A DHF is probably not the best choice on the front for regular muddy conditions. A Shorty or Magic Mary would be better.
You could cut the tread down a bit on a Shorty if the spikes are too long (plenty of videos on this).

A cheaper option to Cush Core is Huck Norris inserts. I have one in the rear of my regular bike and it has let me use lighter construction tyre without issue.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
A DHF is probably not the best choice on the front for regular muddy conditions. A Shorty or Magic Mary would be better.
You could cut the tread down a bit on a Shorty if the spikes are too long (plenty of videos on this).

A cheaper option to Cush Core is Huck Norris inserts. I have one in the rear of my regular bike and it has let me use lighter construction tyre without issue.
Think I may try that Huck Norris insert , my last 3 tyre failures have been due to pinch damage onto the rim , it’s gets expensive because it’s not usually possible to repair damage close to the bead

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
That’s why I put them in, didn’t want to smash carbon rims they have worked so far......

Ali Clarkson did a video on making a ghetto version of the Huck Norris for his street trials bike which gets major hammer.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
minions fitted to the opposite end to where they should be is a very good setup two DHR 11 is even better
I have to say my MM's didnt do too well in the snow yesterday!!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
That’s why I put them in, didn’t want to smash carbon rims they have worked so far......

Ali Clarkson did a video on making a ghetto version of the Huck Norris for his street trials bike which gets major hammer.

So I guess a good way would be to buy a Huck Norris and use it as a pattern to make your own , at under £30 a pair though it may not be worthwhile

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
So I guess a good way would be to buy a Huck Norris and use it as a pattern to make your own , at under £30 a pair though it may not be worthwhile
I made a pattern but like you say, by the time you have messed about getting the foam and cutting etc you might as well buy them.

Sylvain

Feb 23, 2018
Quebec, Canada
HI guys, earlier I wrote that I thought of going 2.8 in then back and 2.5 in the front. Will this affect the bike geometry too much? Will the BB or front end be too low?

Last edited:

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Hi guys - 2 quick questions - in the photo below I have 2 different Butcher tyres (new packaging I guess) - are they different compounds - I was wondering if the 'Gripton' was a softer compound, or just a new marketing term...
And second question - riding around Dartmoor, Uk - very very muddy, and I am not getting confidence on my from end (standard 2.8 Butchers as fitted to the 2018 Levo) - would a Magic Mary on the front be an improvement - I know it can be very subjective. I'm a big bloke so running 20psi front and rear - I guess lowering the pressures a bit would also help?
cheers

fullsizeoutput_2916.jpeg

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
gripton is the supposed new compound which is softer but in my opinion not very grippy on the front, magic mary is miles better especially the soft compound

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles