Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I've personally had no shifting issues and it's pretty slick for a low end shifter... pretty impressed really as I had low expectations so perhaps yours isn't setup correctly. However I've always been gentle with shifting and was surprised how easy it was to "feel the shift tension" on an Ebike and it's easy to control the strain level as you shift.. not too dissimilar to a normal bike really. So far I've found being caught out in the "wrong" too high a gear is mitigated by the motor somewhat.

Personally intending to change the shifter and get something I can use with a Matchmaker via an adaptor to the brakes to give room for my lights switch and be able to position the brakes as I like.

After my initial Boost happy phase of New to Ebike I've settled down to Eco mainly as for me this gives me more than enough assist but it's nice to have Trail mode in my back pocket. I personally find Boost of limited value, good fun to show off an Ebike to a m8 or you've got lots of battery left near the end but after my initial phase I don't really use it so will probably lower the power a bit to make it more useful to me. IME Trail only feels "weak" when you drop down from boost as there is a large gap in assist between the two.

I do find I don't use the lighter cogs and was considering a bigger front ring but the fear of a technical issue or running out of battery is making me think twice :)

Seems to be a bit of a consensus that the bike looks much better in the flesh than in the pictures. Overall it's a very stable bike and very forgiving, I've only found I notice the weight negatively when lifting it into the van and on bigger jumps where it feels all of it's 22Kg.... and it shows up your deficiencies in technique as were all not Sam Pilgrim.

I'll admit I was an Ebike sceptic but I can certainly see why so many people love them, I'm having an absolute blast on trails i was getting bored with and I'm really glad I took the plunge and added an Ebike to my stable.
Im wondering if I’m just used to XTR buttery smooth shifting as this is the first time I’ve tried SLX set up. I have read that XTR shifter is well worth the money and a good upgrade so may be my next purchase. I’ve also gone up a size on the front but could do with bigger for more top end range. But overall I’m loving the bike, got a weekend of bashing so looking forward to some proper testing

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I do find I don't use the lighter cogs and was considering a bigger front ring but the fear of a technical issue or running out of battery is making me think twice :)
Dunno how stong/fit you are but due to tight clearance between the swingarm and chainring the bike will only really take a 36T chainring. I've been running one for a while now and the 36/42 lowest gear with the original 11spd 11-42 SLX cassette was easily low enough for me to get up any fireroad or trail centre climb with the bike switched off. Proper steep singletrack climbs at the end of a tiring ride is another thing altogether though.
Acceleration is rubbish with the bike switched off but steady climbing feels barely one gear harder than it does on a 20lb lighter regular mtb.
I'm running the boxTwo-e 11-50 just now and only ever use the lower two sprockets when it's switched off.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Great day for a slog up in the hills. Can’t believe how well this thing rides any terrain (y)

B5D6EEEC-A672-41E4-946E-62BF3422EF0A.jpeg

58D1E003-18C2-4932-80E3-F5B728795A81.jpeg

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Yeah can’t wait, looks a great place you’re riding what sort of mileage/climbing you getting around that terrain
This ride was from home up and around Darwen tower and Tockholes in Lancashire and covered 15 miles and 700m climbing. in mainly Eco mode with a cheeky high speed boost to finish off I only used 2 bars! I was more than impressed at this after worrying about it slightly before setting off. Even managed a few jars at the 3 B's brewery on the way back down which got the bike some attention sat in the pub beer garden lol. Overall massively impressed, she didnt skip a beat and it was a bog in some parts (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think they did something to Eco on the last update, its now far better to use - I cant put my finger on it, but previously I always liked trail, which is a reactive mode that responds and gives back the power based off your inputs, making it easy to use on technical terrain, whereas Boost and Eco where always a bit all or nothing, only working well at specific cadences. Boost is still like that, but Eco seems to be more responsive now.

Last edited:

Shog46

Nov 4, 2018
Yorkshire
This ride was from home up and around Darwen tower and Tockholes in Lancashire and covered 15 miles and 700m climbing. in mainly Eco mode with a cheeky high speed boost to finish off I only used 2 bars! I was more than impressed at this after worrying about it slightly before setting off. Even managed a few jars at the 3 B's brewery on the way back down which got the bike some attention sat in the pub beer garden lol. Overall massively impressed, she didnt skip a beat and it was a bog in some parts (y)
Nice one ?cheers, was so getting giddy thinking mine would be delivered this week only to receive a email saying they have cancelled my order due to stock discrepancies ?‍♂️ thinking it’s time to start looking for a different brand

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I feel your pain. I got the same email :cry:

Wiggle or CRC?
Was yours discounted?
Man that sucks.. but don’t take that on face value just yet, I got a similar email from them at Xmas only to find the bloody thing turning up on my doorstep with no warning what so ever. What size did you go for? A mate of mine has a medium on order with wiggle but may cancel due to finance issues so that could come available again

Last edited:

F-GODZ

Nov 30, 2018
United Kingdom
Man that sucks.. but don’t take that on face value just yet, I got a similar email from them at Xmas only to find the bloody thing turning up on my doorstep with no warning what so ever. What size did you go for?

XL - They've refunded me so I don't hold too much hope of one turning up :D

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
XL - They've refunded me so I don't hold too much hope of one turning up :D
Ah ok fair enough, the xl bike must be huge man, I think the medium is a bit of a brute! Worryingly though their action of refunding you suggests they aren’t going to get anymore in stock??

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think they did something to Eco on the last update, its now far better to use - I cant put my finger on it, but previously I always liked trail, which is a reactive mode that responds and gives back the power based off your inputs, making it easy to use on technical terrain, whereas Boost and Eco where always a bit all or nothing, only working well at specific cadences. Boost is still like that, but Eco seems to be more responsive now.

Which update are you on now? and which one did you update from?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The last update before the current one which enables the e7000 controller - I hadn't updated the bike since last summer, so about 6 months. I updated it after you said to in some thread or other, saying how the engagement was better

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah... yeah.
I'm still on that too.
I think all modes are slightly smoother now. Wheelies are definitely waaaay more easily controllable for me now (as I don't use my rear brake when I wheely)

i did notice the other day though that the motor still drops off to an almost pointless level of assistance after about 130rpm.
That still needs addressed IMO
(but I know fine very few people will care)

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
i'm waiting for my 3rd 1 to arrive having sent back the others due to damage. hope it turns up, site showing out of stock in medium.
Yeah I think that’s it now, chatting to a wiggle rep it doesn’t sound like they will be getting more through which I find hard to believe. They could sell way more I’m sure!

3rd bike though! Shit that’s hard luck man. We’re they badly damaged??

Darren Bacon

Feb 12, 2019
nottinghamshire
Yeah I think that’s it now, chatting to a wiggle rep it doesn’t sound like they will be getting more through which I find hard to believe. They could sell way more I’m sure!

3rd bike though! Shit that’s hard luck man. We’re they badly damaged??
when i rang last week they said 7 in stock. they were going to set 1 aside for me, not heard anything since. fingers crossed i do manage to get 1.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Seems to be a reasonable number of bikes arriving with cosmetic damage. When they sent me my replacement I requested extra packaging on specific areas which they done as requested... So IME ask for the bars, control and seat stays padded/wrapped etc.. in the special requests box at point of order.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
Having ones order cancelled is bloody terrible. It’s like being jilted at the altar. There are other options though, the Radon Swoop 9.0, the Commencal Meta Power Ride, Canyon Spectral On (although I fear even mrore frustration with them).

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles