• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
It seems so bikes with SC-E8000 are slightly different to SC-E7000 (which I have). I'm working with some testers to figure out this issue. Sorry

jacadel

May 17, 2019
lamisma7
Thanks to vadll now I can customize my Shimano steps, I can basically reduce the power level and adjust the wheel circunference to the real one. Only a question, the stepsunlocker will work with the new 4.7.0 firmware?

jacadel

May 17, 2019
lamisma7
1558558260822.jpeg

valium64

Sep 16, 2018
Massa, Italy
Yes, but if they will keep just 3 preset assistance level for each of the assistance mode like now they do with Trail and Boost and not torq adjustments Shimano app will still be very limited respect this app for all the user that want to make a fine tuning.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
hi VadII, this morning I tried to connect the mtb to the app but it doesn’t work, I have a system consisting of motor and display series 8000 and command 7000, the bluetooth, doesn't connect, while following the instructions of the app.
Then I have another problem, with the window version and pce-1 interface,the program does not start , I use old window 7..

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
hi VadII, this morning I tried to connect the mtb to the app but it doesn’t work, I have a system consisting of motor and display series 8000 and command 7000, the bluetooth, doesn't connect,
What App says? Does it crush?

Then I have another problem, with the window version and pce-1 interface,the program does not start , I use old window 7..
Program works fine on any Win system. I don't know why you can't start it. Try to re-install it. Try to switch off Antivirus software for a while

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Had a quick go on app and although it finds bike it rejects Bluetooth connection.Not giving up yet I will try a few more times.
If no luck I will connect via computer

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
What App says? Does it crush?
the app say "e-bikes not found" and after it crush
Program works fine on any Win system. I don't know why you can't start it. Try to re-install it. Try to switch off Antivirus software for a while
ok I try without antivirus

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Had a quick go on app and although it finds bike it rejects Bluetooth connection.Not giving up yet I will try a few more times.
If no luck I will connect via computer
I've published a new version (1.0.5) on Google Play. It should work with E8000 display

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
On app it asks for default pin to connect
Checked steps manual and not one mentioned?
STEPS Unlocker doesn't ask a PIN. You can set a PIN in App Settings, but it set as "Default" by default and this will work for most bikes. If you have SC-E7000 and your PIN is not default - enter it at "App settings"

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
For what it’s worth I thought I would give a mini review of this software as I have it up and running now.
First things first.THIS IS A SERIOUS BIT OF KIT.If you intend to use it your must give it total respect.
If using a Shimano SM-PCE1 for the first time you need to load the free E-TUBE PROJECT.Don not try and connect to bike as you need the driver which will automatically load once installed.Next connect up to the bike on spare port and fire up SHIMANO UNLOCKER software.You can now switch on ebike.Make sure you are on correct com port on computer.Now you can load “get settings “
This screen shot needs to be sent to software creator, and if you are lucky as I was he kindly sent me a licence key.THIS GIVES YOU FULL ACCESS TO ALL SETTINGS.
As per my previous posting I never had any intention of killing my bike as I do not have the experience and knowledge of what parameters are safe.I did however switch to USA and holy shit this makes a hell of a difference.
Big thumbs up from me and for anyone who has pondered over tuning this is a must.Not forgetting I’m one day in.I will see how this affects my riding “off road” on a more long term.You can always switch back.

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
For what it’s worth I thought I would give a mini review of this software as I have it up and running now.
First things first.THIS IS A SERIOUS BIT OF KIT.If you intend to use it your must give it total respect.
If using a Shimano SM-PCE1 for the first time you need to load the free E-TUBE PROJECT.Don not try and connect to bike as you need the driver which will automatically load once installed.Next connect up to the bike on spare port and fire up SHIMANO UNLOCKER software.You can now switch on ebike.Make sure you are on correct com port on computer.Now you can load “get settings “
This screen shot needs to be sent to software creator, and if you are lucky as I was he kindly sent me a licence key.THIS GIVES YOU FULL ACCESS TO ALL SETTINGS.
As per my previous posting I never had any intention of killing my bike as I do not have the experience and knowledge of what parameters are safe.I did however switch to USA and holy shit this makes a hell of a difference.
Big thumbs up from me and for anyone who has pondered over tuning this is a must.Not forgetting I’m one day in.I will see how this affects my riding “off road” on a more long term.You can always switch back.

As a quick reminder to above.Remember never post a screenshot of your own bikes settings, if you encounter issues on trying to connect.I found the creator of the software to be very quick on answering my questions.

gtaadicto

Jan 26, 2019
Leon,Spain
The app is working fine :)
I finally tried the 32 km/h limit and it's way better than the ridiculous 25 km/h limit. I also had success in setting the wheel circumference to 1300mm, i managed to get 45 km/h on flat roads :love:
By the way, the correct circumference on my 27.5" 2.5" wheel seems to be around 2175mm.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Shimano forbade changing circumference and market in FW 4.7.0.
They add a new feature to compensate Speed/distance in % (instead of Circumference)
Don't update to it if you want to change Market/Circumference

After upgrade to 4.7.0 all your settings are remains the same. So, it's possible to downgrade from 4.7.0 to 4.6.1, change market/circumference settings and then upgrade to 4.7.0 if you want to.

Last edited:

Cinnamon

Mar 2, 2018
Somewhere
Shimano forbade changing circumference and market in FW 4.7.0.
They add a new feature to compensate Speed/distance in % (instead of Circumference)
Don't update to it if you want to change Market/Circumference

After upgrade to 4.7.0 all your settings are remains the same. So, it's possible to downgrade from 4.7.0 to 4.6.1, change market/circumference settings and then upgrade to 4.7.0 if you want to.

How downgrading is done ? Instructions somewhere ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles