Shimano release new 630Wh batteries

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
@Avyoung I figured out that battery range thing.

From yesterday, after a 20.3 mile ride on the 630Wh battery, the battery range in Eco is 13 miles with 2 bars left (it slipped my mind to check Trail and Boost modes). I'm not if sure if these numbers are helpful tho because battery range is going to vary based on multiple factors like: terrain, trail condition, bike components, bike tune, tire pressure, wheel circumference, tire thread, tire compound, rider weight, gear weight, etc.
Is your bike derestricted? Asking because the old firmware version and IMHO shortish range that you got.

tumi

Jun 15, 2019
Finland
Thank you very much for all of you especially for member: BikeTrailsAndWaggingTails
Because of you I am even happier owner of Canyon Spectral on 9.0 with Stunlocker and soon having the 630Wh battery
This is again an excellent example of the power of the crowdsourcing.
Stunlocker does for the user interface of Shimano STEPS E-8000 same which has been standard in the Specialized bikes for years: the ability to customize the motor properly for the biker

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
Wow. Fantastic post!

Please confirm for me. The 630 battery will fit in existing old mount with fin mod to lower mount? Thats it?

Also does the battery capacity indicator still work on the bike screen--5bar thingy?

Does the screen read the range with the new battery?

Omg im giddy. I will have to try this!

Also any chance you can tell me how tall the battery is 60mm below the upper mount flange? My shock reservoir is perhaps too close for this battery.

Thanks Alan

View attachment 43306

View attachment 43307
@Avyoung

Have you thought about turning your shock upside down? Is it possible? I have same issue.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
@Avyoung

Have you thought about turning your shock upside down? Is it possible? I have same issue.

Hey that is a very interesting question! Please let me know what you end up doing!

In the end, I decided not to spend anymore money on this E8000 motor equipped bike but to save it for the next new emtb! I already have two 504wh batteries. But I imagine this new 630wh option will be great for those who want a second battery! Good luck everyone! Thanks for the great thread!

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Both the BT-E8036, and the new BT-E8035-L are longer than the existing BT-E8035 internal battery, and will not fit in most frames designed for the current battery, unless the bike manufacturer has a conversion kit, which to date I have not heard of anyone doing.

maurocif

Nov 3, 2020
Rome
This hacksaw
1607544167138.png

20201209_205626.jpg

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Do you think there will be some way to similarly "adjust" the BT-8036 (630Wh integrated) to fit the dock used by the BT-8035 battery (integrated 504Wh) in some ebikes?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Proabably not all that easily unless your bike already uses the mounting for the longer BT-8035-L 504wh batteries. The standard BT-8035 is shorter in length
AFAIK BT-8036-L and BT-8036 are interchangable.

PaulE

Jun 17, 2020
Telford
Steps (new)630wh Vs 504wh external battery wild speculation

Larger? Definitely
Longer? doubtful
wider? doubtful
taller? if pics are to be believed, almost certainly
Heavier? Absolutely. reportedly by a whopping 900g

How are shimano most likely to have likely gone about increasing capacity?
Here's the internals of a 504wh battery
5M4SO.jpg

in all likelyhood and as seen by promo pics Shimano would seem to have gone the route of adding more cells to their existing design. And from the taller looking new battery casing it would seem likely they have added a full row of cells below the bottom row of the previous design.
It stands to reason a taller heavier battery will need stronger more secure/stable mounting hardware and we know the new battery requires exactly this.

Most current E7000/8000 external battery Emtbs do actually have enough clearance above the battery to accomodate a slightly taller battery. Whether that new mount will be able to be swapped with the original 504wh mount is yet to be answered. But I can see why Shimano would not be keen disclose this information at the present time.
it is also yet to be answered whether the new mount can still accomodate the older batteries.

Shimano do seem to be doing a pretty decent job of retaining a level of backwards compatibility across their cycle range ATM, particularly the product releases just anounced and due for release towards the end of the year.

My advice: Be patient... But don't hang about waiting! Life's too short. ;)

Disclaimer: almost a kilo of extra weight for 126wh isn't even something I'm interested in, nevermind the gamechanger so many seem to see it as.

This is a great photo of a battery with the cover removed Gary and the first I’ve ever seen of the internals. I'd like to remove this cover to allow the cells in my batteries to be tested, but it looks very difficult to remove the little screw cover flaps, on the top of the battery, without damaging them. Is there a way of doing this that you can recommend?

I’m worried that alerting Shimano to this would lead to me losing the warranty I still have on the bikes, but I do suspect that my batteries may be duff, both having lost around a third of their capacity (range wise) over 22 months/2800 miles. That said, I guess with so little warranty left, I may as well just go for it!

PaulE

Jun 17, 2020
Telford
Oh, bugger. That's stuffed that idea then. My LBS says that there's no way to easily check the battery, which still shows a range of 59 miles when fully charged and 96% capacity, but gives only 39 - 41 miles on eco mode from a full charge. You've told me in the past of your experience and that of your friends with regard to the drop in performance of the Shimano motor, or battery sytem. Maybe I just have to accept that this drop off in performance is normal.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
Wow. Fantastic post!

Please confirm for me. The 630 battery will fit in existing old mount with fin mod to lower mount? Thats it?

Also does the battery capacity indicator still work on the bike screen--5bar thingy?

Does the screen read the range with the new battery?

Omg im giddy. I will have to try this!

Also any chance you can tell me how tall the battery is 60mm below the upper mount flange? My shock reservoir is perhaps too close for this battery.

Thanks Alan

View attachment 43306

View attachment 43307
do you have any links for this mod ?
or do you have other photos ? of the bottom mount ?
what fins you cut in fact ?
what size is this bike ? it is a commencal ?

i have a meta power size M and commencal said new battery IS NOT compatible

PaulE

Jun 17, 2020
Telford
do you have any links for this mod ?
or do you have other photos ? of the bottom mount ?
what fins you cut in fact ?
what size is this bike ? it is a commencal ?

i have a meta power size M and commencal said new battery IS NOT compatible

Check out this thread -
Spectral:ON 630Wh external Battery (BT-E8016) upgrade possible?

Cord

Mar 15, 2020
lancs
I've just order the bigger 630WH battery for my E7000 equipped Vitus. Apart from the physical mod to the mount, do i have to do anything software wise to make it work? Or is it just plug in and go?

Cord

Mar 15, 2020
lancs
Brilliant, thanks for that, my 630WH battery is due next week. Have you tried running your original smaller battery on the mount after you modded it? I'm wondering if it will still be secure??

Cord

Mar 15, 2020
lancs
Even better. Thanks again. ?

Can't wait to see how much more distance i can get, i've been getting schooled by my mate on his 700WH Levo.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So I have the 630wh external now on my E-Sommett, modified the mount to get it to work as the new mount is out of stock.

Did a ride this morning, all in trail set to max assitance , mostly horrific muddy conditions, but quite a warm day and no rain. Finished ride with 10% battery left according to Garmin. It was a local blast with no consideration in my riding for conserving range.

Data below - the other ride posted is the last local ride I did where I drained my 2 year old 504wh battery, again all in trail. Not that much elevation in these rides but gives an idea of the difference.

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 10.21.07.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 10.21.29.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 10.52.32.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 10.52.42.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 10.35.41.png

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 10.36.07.png

PaulE

Jun 17, 2020
Telford
That certainly does look muddy! I was thinking today about these new batteries. At around £700, they're not cheap, in fact I could get a small, cheap car for the same money! Presumably, they come with the same 2 year Shimano warranty, but is this valid IF you don't use the new, specified mount, rather than modifying the old one? Forgive me if this has been answered elswhere and I've missed it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I dont think the mount matters if the battery has an electrical failure - obviously it it flies out the frame and is damaged, might be another matter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles