Shimano release new 630Wh batteries

Freebert

Feb 4, 2019
Kasterlee/Belgium
From Canyon:

Great to hear you're interested in the Spectral:ON CF. We would only recommend using the bike with the standard size battery as it has not been tested to use the new 630WH battery.
Time to get it tested then! Somehow there must be more people with the 504Wh external battery who want to buy this bigger 630Wh battery?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
New batteries and mounts will be available to buy in November in the UK, just checked with the distributor. They said external is technically retrofittable but will depend on the design of the bike in question.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I cant believe that the vast majority of models launched for 2020 like the new Canyons where not designed with the New Shimano components in mind, simply because the redesign cost of charging the designs after 1 year would be massive - doesn't mean it will be possible of course, but I would have though viable for at least a few of the newer models with internal batteries.

Freebert

Feb 4, 2019
Kasterlee/Belgium
I cant believe that the vast majority of models launched for 2020 like the new Canyons where not designed with the New Shimano components in mind, simply because the redesign cost of charging the designs after 1 year would be massive - doesn't mean it will be possible of course, but I would have though viable for at least a few of the newer models with internal batteries.
I am talking about my 2019-model with external battery...also not very old...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
4 year old design though - the only issue with the Canyon would be clearance between the top of the bigger battery (its taller) and the shock, though that may be only an issue on smaller sizes. I think the new battery is slightly wider too, so would it fit given the side rail of the frame?. Might also effect fitting the dedicated water bottle cage, but that's a minor issue

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 13.53.18.png

Last edited:

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
If the new batteries were designed to be retrofitted into all current E8000 bikes then A LOT less 2021 bikes with the new motor and battery would be purchased. Bike companies wanna sell bikes yo.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
I had a reply off shimano Uk today via Facebook,it took a bit of explaining but I got there in the end?yes the 8036 has the same mounts as 8035 but it’s longer and will not fit into an existing 8035 aperture?

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The SHIMANO battery holder BM-E8016 is used to attach the external battery BT-E8016 or its smaller siblings to the down tube or seat tube.
That could be good news for all the external battery boys.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
weeell i dont need a bigger battery beacuse a often not use 1 battery on one ride (ride eco as much as i can) . BUUUUT my head say buyyyye it.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
I think that the price of the 630 Wh battery is a bit steep, especially considering the need for a new mount. I may opt for a 2nd 500 Wh battery instead for those few long rides I plan on doing. OTOH, the extra range would be welcomed and the weight would be lower than carrying a 2nd 500 Wh and carried low on the bike, instead of a backpack.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Awesome solution. Thanks for sharing
out of interest how much more does the 630wh battery weigh than the 504wh?

Riksbar

May 18, 2019
Burnley
Same 504Wh charger works with the 630Wh and with one fin missing, the 504Wh battery still mounted as securely as before.

It looks like you could even epoxy the fin into the cavity on the 504 Wh battery if needed as well to make it fit the same as the bigger battery. I’m not sure why they didn’t go for a more open architecture with a common mount, I think there’s a market for different sizes of battery which can be swapped.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
Wow. Fantastic post!

Please confirm for me. The 630 battery will fit in existing old mount with fin mod to lower mount? Thats it?

Also does the battery capacity indicator still work on the bike screen--5bar thingy?

Does the screen read the range with the new battery?

Omg im giddy. I will have to try this!

Also any chance you can tell me how tall the battery is 60mm below the upper mount flange? My shock reservoir is perhaps too close for this battery.

Thanks Alan

3FE17E24-5FF0-4EB5-B447-F609F3158C98.jpeg

E262418F-3FBB-4227-8FF2-24B04A148D6E.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Wow. Fantastic post!

Please confirm for me. The 630 battery will fit in existing old mount with fin mod to lower mount? Thats it?

Also does the battery capacity indicator still work on the bike screen--5bar thingy?

Does the screen read the range with the new battery?

Omg im giddy. I will have to try this!

Also any chance you can tell me how tall the battery is 60mm below the upper mount flange? My shock reservoir is perhaps too close for this battery.

Thanks Alan

View attachment 43306
Scale it from the photo, it's good enough to do that. My eye says 100mm, there or there abouts. ?

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
Scale it from the photo, it's good enough to do that. My eye says 100mm, there or there abouts. ?

I did scale it on the photos and it’s down to the millimetre now! Really close! I know I didn’t want to ask...

I think in the end I have to buy one and cross my fingers. I suppose I could swap shock to non-reservoir version.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
@Avyoung I figured out that battery range thing.

From yesterday, after a 20.3 mile ride on the 630Wh battery, the battery range in Eco is 13 miles with 2 bars left (it slipped my mind to check Trail and Boost modes). I'm not if sure if these numbers are helpful tho because battery range is going to vary based on multiple factors like: terrain, trail condition, bike components, bike tune, tire pressure, wheel circumference, tire thread, tire compound, rider weight, gear weight, etc.

For me, I'm running a 36t chainring (but the Shimano system sees it as a 38t), bike is tuned to my riding style, tire pressure is set to 20psi (front and back), I'm running a set of Cushcore Pro in both wheels, wheel circumference is 27.5 (front and back), tires are 27.5x2.8 soft compound Magic Mary (front and back), I weight 160 pounds (with knee/shin guards, full face helmet, Hero8, and gloves), and my trail gear is very minimum (two AA batteries, one AAA battery, a multi tool, and Hero8).
How much elevation was that ride, because that doesn't sound to me like any real increase in range over the 504wh battery if you where riding in eco?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles