Just noticed this when I was cleaning my cube wot to you guys think

IMG_20200818_131817.jpg

IMG_20200818_130313.jpg

IMG_20200818_130216.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How the hell did it get scratched in there? :unsure: That must be one of the best protected locations on your bike, excepting the insides of the tubes.

Unless you have a convincing explanation of how it could have received that scratch in that location, then I would be forced to conclude that it was a crack. :cry:

I would take it back to the to LBS. If you bought on-line, then a photo and an email should capture their attention.

PS: What are all those little hairy white bits all over the frame (last two pics)? Are they broken fibres from your CF frame?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’m no expert but looks like a deep scratch and not a crack from the photo so hopefully not a structural problem. I’d keep an eye on it to see if any cracks develop however.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
I'd be tempted to say it's a manufacturing defect which has always been there (though perhaps previously filled with paint), not sure what that means for your next move though.

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Ya I was thinking scratch I reckon a stone got in there and the movement of the suspension crushed it against the frame on the first photo the metal plate has got a Mark on it as well

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
How the hell did it get scratched in there? :unsure: That must be one of the best protected locations on your bike, excepting the insides of the tubes.

Unless you have a convincing explanation of how it could have received that scratch in that location, then I would be forced to conclude that it was a crack. :cry:

I would take it back to the to LBS. If you bought on-line, then a photo and an email should capture their attention.

PS: What are all those little hairy white bits all over the frame (last two pics)? Are they broken fibres from your CF frame?
I was cleaning it with wd40 and a paper towel

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I reckon a stone got in there and the movement of the suspension crushed it against the frame on the first photo the metal plate has got a Mark on it as well

This. Or a stick ended up jammed in there from the rear wheel, I've had that before, but assume MsO would've remembered removing it?

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
Mind you I've just been bouncing up and down on it that part of the shock doesn't move could be done when it was put together from factory maybe when they were putting in those metal plates for the shock to get attached too

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Crack or scratch, what do you have to lose by talking to the shop?

Tell them you believe it to be a crack and wait for them to convince you it's a scratch. Until they do, you won't be happy. And if it is a crack and they tell you it's a scratch, and it all goes bad later on, then your claim has been registered.

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
It's a scratch I'll have to send it back to tredz will be a month till I see it again so gonna wait till after Xmas when things die down a bit then I'll send it back

MsO

Dec 11, 2018
swindon
I put a market next to it to see if it gets bigger been out twice now and no change

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
that is no scratch. Its a lay up defect that has been crudely filled and the filler has sunk.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The Green photo. That lug is bonded onto the other part of the frame and then epoxy filler used to provide a cosmetic finish. In this case very badly.

The grey one looks more like a scrape which must have been done during the original handling of the frame in the factory or possibly during the bike build because I cannot see how else it could occur during use.

BroadyGTE

Jun 24, 2018
yorekshire
Just sent mine back with same problem , paint started bubbling, done 1300 miles @ mainly bike park & ride it pretty hard
Other than this had no problems

1DD8D114-ABE6-40CA-9F11-640B5916CD9E.jpeg

Last edited:

Geeman

Nov 23, 2020
Uk
Tredz are the biggest jokers in the cycling industry. All about profit. They wrecked my brand new frame, which Scott replaced under warranty, Scott Ransom, never fitted the full shock mounts, wrecking a £3500 frame, So if I was you I would get this reported ASAP. Took me months to get my money back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles