Cracked Cube-can you help?!

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I just paid £ 175 parcelforce to post Ebike 120 was insurance. They actually emailed me after i booked to query why i had insured it , chancers.
I actually got what I paid for in the end, an apology again and a cheque for £300. Well done OP.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I actually got what I paid for in the end, an apology again and a cheque for £300. Well done OP.
Lucky you. When i used royal mail or Parcelforce part of the same company . They asked value and when i didn't insure it they questioned why i didn't insure it due to value . When i did insure it they emailed me next day asking why i insured it and saying it was unlikely to get damaged if packed properly and if it was it wouldn't be covered for damage only for loss . As i said chancers.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
Final update on the bike for those interested.
It went to Cube HQ in Germany, they inspected the failed frame and have replaced it under warranty.
It's now back at the shop waiting for me to collect-busy with work so hopefully I'll get it early next week.
Took some time but great Cube have honoured their warranty after inspecting the frame.
Thanks for the feedback 👍
Glad you got sorted in the end and hopefully you won't be off the trails too long

I had the 2022 model on order and cancelled it after reading your article due to the limited frame warranty
Thanks for raising this as I presumed it would be lifetime warranty the same as most other manufacturers.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Glad you got sorted in the end and hopefully you won't be off the trails too long

I had the 2022 model on order and cancelled it after reading your article due to the limited frame warranty
Thanks for raising this as I presumed it would be lifetime warranty the same as most other manufacturers.
I (hopefully) have a Whyte E150 RS on order and the Cube Stereo 140 was on my watch list when I made a decision which bike to go for.
The Action Team model has a glorious colour scheme and component list which puts every other bike at and a bove its asking price to shame BUT.......
1. I am not keen on carbon anything on an EMTB especially when virtually no details are given about the construction......just saying carbon tells you nothing. Given the significant additional cost of both the raws materials and the construction process, a carbon frame bike at the same or lower price than ally equivalent rings warning bells for me!
2. The 2022 Stero 140 is a 29er when equipped with a 750w/h battery, 27.5 when fitted with a 625 w/h battery. The 29er frame is re designed, and redesigned it seems specifically to accomodate the bigger battery and to skim some weight off the frame to negate the extra weight of the bigger battery overall.
3. Those changes include running cables through the stem spacer stack ( the top tube then not needing holes to feed the cables through and therefore the tube is stronger........and slimmed down to save weight it appears). Stupid idea in my book!!
4. The headset is restricted to 120 degrees because there is now insufficient fork crown to down tube clearance. We all know those "knock blocks" dont work when most needed!! Another stupid idea.

Overall I would rather 3 and 4 was avoided and the model stayed with the 625 w/h battery which has plenty enough range for me!!

Such a shame because my last bike before going EMTB was a Cube Stereo and it was ally, light and completely reliable for 18 months in my ownership and another 18 months with my son..........and sold for more 50% of what I paid originally after that!

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Good its all went ok in the end and during the ride you didnt come a cropper.

I suppose all thats left now is an apology from those on this thread who made nasty and now obviously unwarranted accusations.

Last edited:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Well I think now it’s fixed, OP should fess up and tell us what really happened 😂😂😂

sorry - couldn’t resist. Glad you got your bike sorted fella 👍🏻

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Front end impacts would also affect the back of the headtube at the lower end. It's what we always see on old steel bikes which have run into a tree or car or such, and even to the point theres a ripple in the downtube just behind the headset.
For a front end smash to force the steerer tube out the front it would also mean that the fork would be shoved backwards damaging the lower rear of the tube and thats not evident.
I reckon the headset seating was incorrectly sized and the pressure of the headset in fitting put it under strain.

Either way if there was a way to get out of it the company would have taken it and the fact they agreed makes it a pretty straightforward scenario that the frame was at fault.

Doug85

Feb 8, 2024
Scotland

I know this is an old post but wanted to post a we update for cube warranty in 2024! I just got a 2024 action team 160 it's got a 5 years warranty from cube and new frame design the kink was removed in 2023 and the plastics etc redone on thenlater 23/24 models there nice now! I haven't had it out yet but there was a bad batch of Friday afternoon specials that was about at this time! Second one I have seen with very thin carbon round the headtube! As for modern carbon they only bonsai the inner and outter sides for weight reduction making carbon today even more brittle, but this is from every brand as gone weight saving daft! weakning the carbon dry in middle to keep resin weight down! No central bonded layers, Why you always see dry cracks of stranded carbon! The UK carbon repair shop has a YT channel and explains all this it's concerning for sure! I was very hesitant to get anything carbon as a new emtb but there's not alot alloy left and with the 5 year warranty it was enough as don't really expect to have it for 5 year's before there is something new between my legs! It's a first emtb for me at a good price it was in January sales 2k off paid 4800 for it new! Concerned about the crown race having a gap and no seal and the plastic arcoss head set so we shall see how long that holds up for! Even this failing could have be the cause of that 2022 frame exploding? Arcoss headsets don't have alot going for them it seems but bike manufacturers still whack em on there! As for what you said other brands have a lifetime frame warranty is that true?

Doug85

Feb 8, 2024
Scotland
2021 Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 Actionteam
Cracked upper headtube during normal riding for a bike of this spec, the bike has been with the shop for a month now, they inspected and confirmed that the carbon appears to not have been bonded correctly, also a hairline crack is continuing down the headtube. They raised a warranty claim as they agree the bike has failed in dramatic fashion, Cube are repeatedly saying they won't replace under warranty as it is external impact damage-meaning something has hit it, this is clearly impossible without damaging other components on the bike. Cube have made their diagnosis from photos-not from a physical inspection. They are ignoring the repeated advice from their authorised dealer/repairer, who continue to fight my claim for me. The shop believe Cube may need to inspect all of the models with this frame-i.e. recall them.
I've contacted Cube via their website-no response. Any good advice or similar issues with Cube from experience?

View attachment 71383

View attachment 71384

View attachment 71385

View attachment 71386
Failed arcoss headset?

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Old thread….. when you smack into something unmovable( tree/rock/fat dog), that’s how a plastic bike fails. Not sure why anyone would warranty an impact frame failure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles