Cracked headtube on Stereo Hybrid 140TM?

notaddicted

Aug 14, 2021
UK
I recently noticed a creaking noise coming from the headset of my 2020 Stereo Hybrid 140TM. This is nothing uncommon for the bike so stripped it down, greased it and put it back together again as I've done many times before, but this time it was still making a noise afterwards.

After the first ride post-servicing I noticed that on the side of the headtube there was a small hairline crack, and again on the front there are a few almost invisible ones. The ones on the front only become apparent when a thin layer of dust settled in them from the dry conditions I'd been riding in down in the south of France.

I managed to get a photo of the crack on the side

1650544235429.png

The front is very difficult to see

1650544677805.png

I've stripped down the headset again, removed the bearing cups, and the crack doesn't appear to go through any further than the surface as far as I can tell. It's possible this is therefore just the paint cracking, but am worried it is more serious.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them or have any thoughts on how serious it is?

The bike is still in warranty so plan to take it back to where I purchased it from for them to take a look too.

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
There are posts about crap headset on 2020 cube bikes, so many of us decided to change headset completely, also many of us chose superstar UK headsets. Much, much better then original headset. Regarding crack, I would say could be also your fault, to many openings and something went wrong, but I don't see it as a big problem. Bike is in warranty, if creaking, you should first drive it to the dealer for a check. Then you will see what they will say, maybe don't even mention the crack.

notaddicted

Aug 14, 2021
UK
There are posts about crap headset on 2020 cube bikes, so many of us decided to change headset completely, also many of us chose superstar UK headsets. Much, much better then original headset. Regarding crack, I would say could be also your fault, to many openings and something went wrong, but I don't see it as a big problem. Bike is in warranty, if creaking, you should first drive it to the dealer for a check. Then you will see what they will say, maybe don't even mention the crack.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes my headset was replaced with a Superstar Components one too.

I've taken the bike back to the dealer and they think it looks like it is just the paint that is cracked, but hard to tell, fingers crossed!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles