Stereo Hybrid 140 thoughts on stem length

leix_toffee

Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Over the summer I have been thinking how I can improve the handling of my Stereo Hybrid 140 SL (not that there is anything really wrong with it already). One thing I had noticed is the steering was a little “slow” or not as direct as I have been used to on previous bikes. At the weekend I swapped the Stock Cube Stem with a 35mm Nukeproof Horizon Stem (was 50% off). I have really noticed a difference straight away with the steering. Such a small change has really made the bike come alive more. Finding it a lot easier to get through tighter sections faster. It has made it a little tighter in the reach but it is still okay for me, I will see if it effects my back and can move the saddle back a little or rotate the bars a little forward if needed. I have only ever swapped stems on road bikes for comfort. Maybe I should be tinkering with parts more often although that could be a money pit 🤣🤣🤣.

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
Interesting to hear about that, I find my steering less responsive than I’d like on the 140. Sometimes even difficult to get round a tight uphill hairpin. Where did you get the stem?

I also need to find out how to adjust the position of the steering limit, I’ve recently noticed that there’s much less angle available turning left than right.

leix_toffee

Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Interesting to hear about that, I find my steering less responsive than I’d like on the 140. Sometimes even difficult to get round a tight uphill hairpin. Where did you get the stem?

I also need to find out how to adjust the position of the steering limit, I’ve recently noticed that there’s much less angle available turning left than right.
i bought the stem on Chainreaction a few months ago but only fitted at weekend. I think the steering limit is part of the Acros Headset and is called “Block Lock” likely the headset is not centred.

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
i bought the stem on Chainreaction a few months ago but only fitted at weekend. I think the steering limit is part of the Acros Headset and is called “Block Lock” likely the headset is not centred.
Thanks, I’ll have a look at how to centre it. Guessing it shouldn’t be hard.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Interesting read

I've been wondering about this recently
I have a 50mm stem on mine, it does seem a bit sluggish on tight turns but also I've been suffering with some wrist pain which I think is due to not having my arm/wrist straight on the bar, after going out yesterday I was thinking reducing the reach a bit might help

I think I'll grab a 35mm stem and give it a go, if it makes it a bit comfier on the wrists and makes it feel a bit more playful on twisty stuff it might work well for me. Did you notice much loss of stability on higher speed straight stuff?

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I was looking at those too - they look like they'd help
Got to be honest and say ashamedly I haven't bought them this year cos I don't like the look of them lol but it's probably time to start putting comfort above visuals.

leix_toffee

Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Interesting read

I've been wondering about this recently
I have a 50mm stem on mine, it does seem a bit sluggish on tight turns but also I've been suffering with some wrist pain which I think is due to not having my arm/wrist straight on the bar, after going out yesterday I was thinking reducing the reach a bit might help

I think I'll grab a 35mm stem and give it a go, if it makes it a bit comfier on the wrists and makes it feel a bit more playful on twisty stuff it might work well for me. Did you notice much loss of stability on higher speed straight stuff?
I have the Ergon Grips on mine, bought them a few weeks after I bought the bike and I had the same issue with wrist pain. It’s a lot better (not completely but I have long term damage from surgeries). I also noticed moving the brakes helped a lot, the angle, reach and distance inboard from the grips. Spend a an hour in the garden adjusting, it’s worth it.

So for I notice no confidence detriment, actually might be the opposite as a benefit to reducing the stem length is I am less over the front of the bike and less OTB feel on steep stuff. Stability is still fine for me at higher speeds.

Just a note, I have a riser bar on mine that I prefer from the stock bars but I didn’t feel any real change in handling from this change, just a little comfort.

leix_toffee

Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Just a visual on the change of stem

1E47F519-D12A-4EBF-BA39-E9E58FBF3A1B.jpeg

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Cheers mate, yeah I guess a bit more effort on climbing to get the weight forward but should be nice for downhills.

I've got a pretty big riser bar on mine too, I'm 6ft and not particularly flexible so it makes it a lot more comfy.

Have ordered a cheap stem and some ergon grips to have a go with :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles