Reign E+ 2022

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
It was working before. I rode it around the block.. Switching modes was working.. Right now, if I switch it on both led lines are lighting up in white and staying like that... If you press the on button a little longer, right line lights up white and the middle led on the left in blue.. Still cannot switch modes.. Guess I played myself. As a system admin in IT I should have kept it with "never change a running system".
Ouch! Unfortunately this sounds like a story we heard before about the app & firmware updates... iOS or Android phone?

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
Android phone. So whats the next step in that misery? Is a Giant dealer able to help? It seems that after downloading and transfering the firmware the app told me to reconnect to the bike to finish the update, which I did.. but nothing happens after reconnecting.

I can test motor, battery and stuff while it is on for 1 minute or so with no errors.. Thats btw the dumbest shit I have seen in developing software. Being forced to update firmware via bluetooth over a smartphone to be able to use a damn app, that can only adjust modes and led brightness. Btw, the menu to adjust led brightness is gone too :D

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Android phone. So whats the next step in that misery? Is a Giant dealer able to help? It seems that after downloading and transfering the firmware the app told me to reconnect to the bike to finish the update, which I did.. but nothing happens after reconnecting.

I can test motor, battery and stuff while it is on for 1 minute or so with no errors.. Thats btw the dumbest shit I have seen in developing software. Being forced to update firmware via bluetooth over a smartphone to be able to use a damn app, that can only adjust modes and led brightness. Btw, the menu to adjust led brightness is gone too :D
Ya shitty app. App-Bike issues seem worse on Android for some reason. If you search the Giant forums, you'll find some remedies... removing the battery & wait a while works if memory serves right. Sorry to hear... Good luck!

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
I am just curious if the connection port for firmware maintenance is in the same port, where you connect the charger? 3 pins seem to be left over. Oh well, gonna make some calls and hope I can use it on the weekend.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Think i read somewhere in the thread about app issues you can take the battery out for a period of time and the bike should reset have a read through the full post

peddleaddict

Nov 22, 2021
Alpes Maritimes
Thats btw the dumbest shit I have seen in developing software. Being forced to update firmware via bluetooth over a smartphone to be able to use a damn app,
I agree 100%
Can anyone think of a means to pressure Giant to remove the obligatory firmware updates required to access the APP (Android or Apple);

My personal experience of the APP is minimal, I've launched it a few times to get battery status/health and mileage and have been requested to update the firmware about 3 times in the 4 months I've owned the bike; I succeeded in installing each update only when connected to WIFI (Android) and often after multiple tries with failed timeouts!
It requested to update the first day I picked the bike up, took 4 worrying attempts to get it installed.

I'd personally like that the APP have something like a offline and online mode:
Offline mode to use BT to communicate with the bike, and maybe use phone GPS for data logging etc...
Online mode with DATA/WIFI connection for home/maintenance use: uploading logged data to third party sites, maps, browse and install user selectable firmware updates & release notes and so forth.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
So apparently in the other thread about app issues my problem is described. For some reason some "Ride Control GO"-Units , which are the ones in the top tube of the frame get shot when changing the LED brightness. After that the menu in the app for configuring the ridecontrol unit are gone.. Motor switches off after 30 seconds and only dynamic mode works.
Asked my dealer to order the unit, but he thinks it is the ergo unit on the handlebar :mad: Thats exactly why I build my bikes myself. Dealers wants to test the ergo first, then the ride control go unit. I just skipped those parts and bought the damn unit myself.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
This is beyond belief..! 🤬
Giant, the largest bike manufacturer in the world… The bikes are good but E-Bikes are technology driven now, how long before they fix this…?
We are at revision 13 of the current app (iOS) which is a complete re-write of the original app which was EOL about a year ago… Every time there is an update, I get anxiety attacks 😫

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
I guess I won't be using this app anymore after the bike works again.. The settings for the 5 modes are ok as they are. Led brightness, I guess I couldn't care less if there is a chance to brick the unit again.
I am only interested in the connection to the garmin enviroment. Not sure if I need the app for that.

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
Weird because I have updated my bike a number of times without issue. (iOS, Wi-Fi, fully charged phone and bike).
He says touching wood.

peddleaddict

Nov 22, 2021
Alpes Maritimes
I guess I won't be using this app anymore after the bike works again.. The settings for the 5 modes are ok as they are. Led brightness, I guess I couldn't care less if there is a chance to brick the unit again.
I am only interested in the connection to the garmin environment. Not sure if I need the app for that.
Garmin ANT+ connection works fine with the Giant controller and displays all you need to ride - battery % in 1% increments!
I have an old Garmin Fenix3 and use the Garmin Connect EBike field "Ebike Field" does whats written in the description.
Distance/ascension/power information from the Giant controller/APP is total rubbish when I compare to actual GPS data. So I never use it!
I assume the APP/controller distance error is related to the wrong rear wheelsize being defined in the controller and why power appears to cut before the 25km/h threshold.

Buckle

Dec 18, 2021
UK
I am only interested in the connection to the garmin enviroment. Not sure if I need the app for that.
That was my thoughts from the start. The modes are fine for me so I use the bike just like my Hightower. I don't log a thing just ride it until I'm spent! Yeah it would be good to have mileage etc.but that's not my buzz. So all I do is lube the chain and charge the battery which seems to work well.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Garmin ANT+ connection works fine with the Giant controller and displays all you need to ride - battery % in 1% increments!
I have an old Garmin Fenix3 and use the Garmin Connect EBike field "Ebike Field" does whats written in the description.
Distance/ascension/power information from the Giant controller/APP is total rubbish when I compare to actual GPS data. So I never use it!
I assume the APP/controller distance error is related to the wrong rear wheelsize being defined in the controller and why power appears to cut before the 25km/h threshold.
I agree on the App data 👍. I also use the ebike field with my Fenix works like a charm. Do you get correct calorie consumption when you have the Giant power sensor connected. This is a Garmin issue obviously as it overrides the heart rate with power for calorie consumption calculating. Just wondering if it's the same at you?

peddleaddict

Nov 22, 2021
Alpes Maritimes
I agree on the App data 👍. I also use the ebike field with my Fenix works like a charm. Do you get correct calorie consumption when you have the Giant power sensor connected. This is a Garmin issue obviously as it overrides the heart rate with power for calorie consumption calculating. Just wondering if it's the same at you?
It depends if the Giant power meter connects or stays connected to the Garmin during the ride.
I think you first need to do a Garmin FTP test on a controlled ride to set your personal FTP threshold before being able to record realistic power ratings.
I haven't done this and probably like you, have low power readings in my Garmin data if the power meter is connected.
I'm lazy about using a heart rate monitor so difficult for the Garmin to see my HR zones and calculate effort.

Here below are 2 similar rides, 1st with Power meter, 2nd without.
The results are very different but actual effort was the same.

With the Giant power meter connected I get very low Calorie/Power "weighted" readings
1647539473726.png

With the Giant power meter disconnected readings are "estimated"
1647538986090.png

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
It depends if the Giant power meter connects or stays connected to the Garmin during the ride.
I think you first need to do a Garmin FTP test on a controlled ride to set your personal FTP threshold before being able to record realistic power ratings.
I haven't done this and probably like you, have low power readings in my Garmin data if the power meter is connected.
I'm lazy about using a heart rate monitor so difficult for the Garmin to see my HR zones and calculate effort.

Here below are 2 similar rides, 1st with Power meter, 2nd without.
The results are very different but actual effort was the same.

With the Giant power meter connected I get very low Calorie/Power "weighted" readings
View attachment 84108
With the Giant power meter disconnected readings are "estimated"
View attachment 84107
Hey yes that's exactly how my case is. Yes I know about FTP, have already done that so have that setup in my Fenix...it made no difference, it looks like the power input from the ANT+ sensor has priority in Garmins firmware...I am trying to find a workaround that, but no luck, I guess I will just leave the power sensor disconnected ✌⚡ thanks

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Hey yes that's exactly how my case is. Yes I know about FTP, have already done that so have that setup in my Fenix...it made no difference, it looks like the power input from the ANT+ sensor has priority in Garmins firmware...I am trying to find a workaround that, but no luck, I guess I will just leave the power sensor disconnected ✌⚡ thanks
My 2021 Trance is excalty the same. Very low power readings and no fix from Garmin or Giant as of yet. Does anybody know if other brands like Specialized have valid rider power data?

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
My 2021 Trance is excalty the same. Very low power readings and no fix from Garmin or Giant as of yet. Does anybody know if other brands like Specialized have valid rider power data?
I think Giant's power readings are ok, it's the way Garmin is reading that data...I was tinkering with some setups in the Garmin App, but till now no luck. ✌ Will dig deeper 🤟

mummyb0t

Nov 28, 2021
New Zealand
@mummyb0t you had the same issues with led brightness? Why was your bike down for 48 hours? How did you solve it?

yeah, my bike was dead for about 48hrs. I just left it, made no changes, didn't remove the battery or anthing, and then it came right.

Since then, I have not touched the LED settings inside the app. I do update the bike when the app prompts me to, and I do change the power setttings inside the app. I've now done about 1100kms on the bike now and never had that issue again.

Hope that helps.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
So apparently in the other thread about app issues my problem is described. For some reason some "Ride Control GO"-Units , which are the ones in the top tube of the frame get shot when changing the LED brightness. After that the menu in the app for configuring the ridecontrol unit are gone.. Motor switches off after 30 seconds and only dynamic mode works.
Asked my dealer to order the unit, but he thinks it is the ergo unit on the handlebar :mad: Thats exactly why I build my bikes myself. Dealers wants to test the ergo first, then the ride control go unit. I just skipped those parts and bought the damn unit myself.

I think you act to hastily. Wait those 48 hours. I bricked my bike this way 3 times. No permanent damage was done. You need to update the firmware multiple times after that with your phone. Don't change any settings through the app. Make sure that firmware has the newest possible version. At that point everything should work. Brightness change too.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
@goroncy Yeah, maybe I am a bit too fast when it comes to stuff like that. I took the bike out of the box and went for a 50 meters ride in front of the house. Then straight into the house, changed brakelevers, brake discs, zeb fender and so on. And after playing with the app it is dead before a proper ride :(

So you two @mummyb0t and @goroncy just left the bike in the corner with everything assembled and did not switch it on for 2 days straight, right? Battery loaded as well? Guess I'll wait another day or two. Thats most likely the time the spare part takes to get over here anyways. If it fixes itself for whatever reason, I might just send it back.

Still, as a devops engineer, I find it really concerning, that it fixes itself. I cannot think of anything right now where code fixes itself and how should broken hardware do that. Can only think of some kind of reset within the unit for some stupid reason.

mummyb0t

Nov 28, 2021
New Zealand
@goroncy Yeah, maybe I am a bit too fast when it comes to stuff like that. I took the bike out of the box and went for a 50 meters ride in front of the house. Then straight into the house, changed brakelevers, brake discs, zeb fender and so on. And after playing with the app it is dead before a proper ride :(

So you two @mummyb0t and @goroncy just left the bike in the corner with everything assembled and did not switch it on for 2 days straight, right? Battery loaded as well? Guess I'll wait another day or two. Thats most likely the time the spare part takes to get over here anyways. If it fixes itself for whatever reason, I might just send it back.

Still, as a devops engineer, I find it really concerning, that it fixes itself. I cannot think of anything right now where code fixes itself and how should broken hardware do that. Can only think of some kind of reset within the unit for some stupid reason.

Correct, it was 2 days for me, no longer, this was in December, not sure what version of firmware sorry. I'm guessing its something off in the hardware for the new controller, but honestly I've had no other issues so havn't chased it with LBS.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich

I took my battery out. I think it actually takes less than 48h but to be on a safe side I would turn it on after 48h.

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Is anyone struggling with the bottom bracket height? This is turning out to be a bit of an issue for me. My last bike an evil wrecking was 339mm in lowest setting , at 330 in the high setting the reign can be hard to manage. I’m ok on the cranks but fined I hit the motor on steep roll ins if I don’t float the back up…

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Is anyone struggling with the bottom bracket height? This is turning out to be a bit of an issue for me. My last bike an evil wrecking was 339mm in lowest setting , at 330 in the high setting the reign can be hard to manage. I’m ok on the cranks but fined I hit the motor on steep roll ins if I don’t float the back up…

5D36AD8A-FFB7-441C-9A6C-9E3BD525372E.jpeg

may be related to how I’ve measured the sag? At full compression (no air) there is 10mm of shaft left over. I didn’t have hash bottom outs, but did noticed o-ring never went further than this…. Probably need to use this smaller measurement for sag = higher pressure.

can anyone confirm is they have seen similar shaft travel? I gotta warn you it’s a pain to pump the shock from zero pressure as the Linkage gets in the way of the valve.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
Same here on the fox dps shock. I just set the sag and read your comment. The total shaft length ist about 71mm. I think the fox shocks are not supposed to compress all the way.
Not sure though if this has to do with the shock itself. Because the x2 shock is only available in one size for 205mm length. The travel can be lengthened and shortened internally from I think 57.5mm up to 65mm with a spacer in 2.5mm increments.
I would just calculate for 62.5mm and measure from there

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Same here on the fox dps shock. I just set the sag and read your comment. The total shaft length ist about 71mm. I think the fox shocks are not supposed to compress all the way.
Not sure though if this has to do with the shock itself. Because the x2 shock is only available in one size for 205mm length. The travel can be lengthened and shortened internally from I think 57.5mm up to 65mm with a spacer in 2.5mm increments.
I would just calculate for 62.5mm and measure from there

"I think the fox shocks are not supposed to compress all the way."

You think ;)

IMG_20190201_135328.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles