Real life logistics of riding using two batteries and one Emtb?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Still weighs less with the extra battery than pretty much any of the current Bosch bikes. Lots of exciting new bikes with the new Bosch system getting announced almost daily

TBH that sounds like BS

Coil shock, Eddy Currents in 29 and an internal 625wh battery no way weighs 22.5 even with the no pedals trick ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup, but I wonder if that piggy back option is a feature available on all the new Bosch bikes

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's interesting for sure. I don't imagine it'd be exactly difficult for a manufacturer to do the same/similar with an E8000 battery on an internal downtube battery frame.
I'm no expert but that just looks like an old external bosch battery to me
The mounting is the clever bit

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Loving how it's absolutely impossible for me to even keep my own threads on topic for a single page :LOL:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Anyway...

I always ride with a backpack on, I tend to carry too much stuff as well so with extra tec battery it's fairly heavy. I don't really notice it, I came off at about 20 mph last weekend and it wasn't an issue, maybe more luck than anything else though...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
it's interesting for sure. I don't imagine it'd be exactly difficult for a manufacturer to do the same/similar with an E8000 battery on an internal downtube battery frame.
I'm no expert but that just looks like an old external bosch battery to me
The mounting is the clever bit
Yes, and Haibike have been doing something similar for a few years.

If I could get one of the new Shimano bikes with the internal battery, but still use the external batteries I have as a power pack extender, it would definitely keep me with Shimano

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I love my second 504wh shimano battery! I usually just go for 2 loops whether it’s from home or my vehicle. I’m lucky that my area has more trails than I can ride with even 2 batteries.

I have the Evoc backpack and tried it for an all day trail epic. Battery and backpack is 9lbs minimum. With tools, water, food and clothes it can easily hit 15-20lbs. I biked right on to a ferry and road trails that I don’t usually get to. Leaving the vehicle saved some money and made reservations unnecessary. But without those advantages I would much rather ride without a big pack. I want to jump and drop and snake through turns without having anything on my back. I find a small hip pack let’s me take some tools food water and phone and still lets me fly feeling untethered. Even tho the pack is well designed and I could jump and drop, the weight made me feel like staying seated most of the time. I was not lively and poppy on the bike. I think the pack will be reserved for cases of a long loop or where I carry lots of camera gear for superlative scenery (rare).

I definitely would prefer a bigger capacity battery for most days. 700wh. Perhaps a booster or a second battery as well.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yup, but I wonder if that piggy back option is a feature available on all the new Bosch bikes
Bosch have had a dual battery set up available for some time. Tourers/commuters and Tandems are the most likely bikes you'll see it on.
moustache-samedi-27-x2-electric-tandem-bicycle-review.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
either way it still has a front wheel I want nothing to do with

So it's actually perfect for you ? Dump the front wheel and forks, save the weight .. as you said yourself "I also love back wheel a little too much " ... Maybe install a little castor wheel just for ease when setting off and stopping... :) ;-) Sorry, I think I've been in the sun too long.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I might be old skool but I'm not Jez Avery old skool.

Never say never ! You could be the next Jez Avery .. and if you embrace the Mullet 29 as you know you really want to, it instantly solves your two battery storage problem :

two batteries.jpg

Here's some of next years prototype Mullet 29ers being used in a test cross country race .. Pedal strikes will be a thing of the past and you can jump to the front of the queue to take all the credit for passionately introducing the 29XL to the world ...

PFR.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Pedal strikes were a thing of the past even when Jez was a young man.
Simply look where you're going FFS ;)

Penny farthing racing is awesome though

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Pedal strikes were a thing of the past even when Jez was a young man.
Simply look where you're going FFS ;)

Penny farthing racing is awesome though

Fantastic, we got your thread off track again !! :) It's a shame there's not a "thumbs up - DETOUR" option to select.

I wonder if anyone makes a pEnny Farthing ? The layout lends itself well to a hub motor, or even a hub and battery in wheel combination. Though I suspect the head of the Institute of Testical World Attachment Treatments would be trying to push through legislation for obligatory underseat mounted motor with parallel exposed chains.

I have to say, having seen the pictures, mad as it may sound, I now have to track down a penny farthing race to watch. Looks amazing.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I don't actually "get" folks obsession with requiring an internet thread to stay ON topic all the way through.
Conversation in real life doesn't need to. Why should it be any different here?

A few locals here have Penny farthings they take out for big road rides in summer

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I have a second battery for my Levo but hardly ever use it as I hardly run the first one out. I can get approximately 70kms per 504wh battery and I hardly have time to ride that long. Also i hate having to change the garmin to recognize the second battery so the battery shows on the display.

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
If I'm taking two batteries on "proper" trails I use a back pack but forest tracks and lighter stuff I use a bike touring seat post roll bag. Quite secure and limits the dropper a wee bit. Knowing some of the stuff you ride it may not be suitable but might work if you where then stashing it.

How about a custom made frame bag?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
As did the Decoy but you had a cunning plan for that.
Cunning plans are well easy to come up with for a geometry nerd like myself but often pricy to implement.
Geo wise
It's 29" front and rear and has 30mm BB drop so switching it to 27.5 f&r and upping the fork to 170mm would sort it right out geo wise.
I'd then have a bike with almost as nice geometry as a stock E Sommet similar level of componentry at a cost of over £4k more.
It is BLACK though. So there's that!

It's almost like there's some sort of a trend with the outcome of with these cunning plans of mine. isn't there? ;)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Have you thought of strapping the second battery to your leg ? You could balance out the other leg by strapping say, some cans of soup or something onto it. You will get an extra leg workout and the weight stays low. If you like you could zip around in boost all ride to compensate for the extra weight.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Mostly I leave my spare in the car. We have shorter loops here. But I’d really like a pack that was a bit smaller than the current EVOC. All my tools are on the bike. I just need space for the battery, a bladder and maybe a rain jacket.

Gordon

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
Solution to all of this?

Drone! Just attach the spare battery to a following drone so there's no extra weight on either bike or rider ?

But what of the drone runs out of battery.

Drone2! The second drone carries the battery pack for Drone1.

Drone3: spare tubes, trail tool etc.

I just thought outside the box ?

Andy Garnell

Apr 23, 2019
Germany
Who here has two batteries for their Ebike and reguarly uses both for the one ride?
I ask as I have a second Emtb on the way so will have two 504wh batteries at my disposal.

Previously I've not really been interested in having an extra battery. The two main reasons for this are I absolutely never ride with a backpack and wouldn't ever want to. (I had wear to when I worked as a trail guide so know exactly why I never would in my own time).
this leaves the option of leaving the spare battery in the car and returning mid ride. I generally ride a long loop and wouldn't be anywhere near the car at any point. to me having to return to the car seems like having two separate rides.
Stashing the battery in the hills/woods doesn't seem a great soloution either as I'd have to carry it in a pack and also return to get it at the end of the ride.
I can see it working fine at a DH track/venue or bike park where you just do laps that happen to end in the car park and even at a trail centre where you can do a loop in the morning. stop for lunch and then do another ride in the afternoon etc. but am struggling to work out how it can work for me on longer loops.

So what do other folk actually do?
carry a heavy backpack the whole ride?
leave the battery in the car and plan rides that return to the car?
stash it enroute?
something else

And how does it work out for you?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Two options I see. Back pack which I do. Evoc one or change your e-mtb to one that has a 750 watt battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles