First month of real ebike riding - long winded summary to follow.

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
Hi all.

No real point or question to this post, just rambling about my first months ownership.

New here after only making the move to an ebike two months ago when the other half told me to 'just get one' as I looked over them yet again :D

As a back story, I am 50 and have ridden bikes, mainly mtbs, for over 30 years. However I appear to have also eaten too much lard and sugar over the same period, which has resulted in me being 120Kg at 6 foot - not good.

Combined with a couple of other health issues, this means that I simply run out of puff and ultimately interest after about 90 minutes of riding.

My theory is an ebike would allow for more riding which would bring the fun back on longer rides and have a by product of losing weight because I'd be out more and for longer. Food obviously plays a part in this, which has also been addressed.

To the bike - after much researching I settled on a Giant Trance XE +1. Mainly as it coped with my weight, has good kit and also similar geometry to my main FS, a mk1 Ibis Ripmo.

So far I've been out about 2 or 3 times a week, including a few 3 hour rides and have now started to explore the higher power settings. Don't really feel the need to go beyond 3/5, which is set to 175% of rider input I believe.

Yesterdays ride involved 16 mile on back roads, which got annoying very quickly. Any slight slope down or relatively flat road had the 15.5mph assist max reached very quickly, even on low assistance. There after I could pedal through it but it felt like the bike was being pulled back by a huge amount of drag on a big bit of elastic.

Today I went out on the Ripmo with my daughter and got an instant shock. The road out of our estate has the slightest of rises and historically has never bothered me at all. This time, the pedalling felt immediately like the +15.5mph on the ebike - instant drag and felt awful. This proves to me that it wasn't the ebike that felt 'rubbish', it was a consequence of not having assistance. If the eeb wasn't an eeb, riding at +15.5mph would probably have felt 'normal', just a bit heavier than other bikes.

Took me around 30 minutes to get back to some sort of normal feeling and enjoyed the ride. The Ripmo is so much lighter and manoeuvrable through the twisties. Felt more in control on the descents but I sure missed the assistance on ups and out of corners.

So I believe there is a place in my riding for both normal and electric bikes right now. If I am honest with myself, I'd love to be 40Kg lighter and have a lightweight ebike - that is my goal.

And to pick up on the main reason for getting the eeb, my weight is now the lowest its been for 4 years and when I finished today my Garmin congratulated me on a new 20 min power output (have a power meter on the Ripmo).

All in all very good all round, still amazed at how good ebikes have become yet more amazed at how weird a non electric bike feels after not riding one for a month.

Last edited:

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l am a bit older than you, l bought my ebike in April 2021 and have racked up around 4,000 miles since then.

l tried my non-ebike a couple of times and found the same as you did, it was like the brakes were stuck on! Although after a year of ebike riding l posted a couple of near best times on my non-ebike Strava history, proving that my fitness levels have not declined.

l've sold my ordinary bike! Also l've set my ebike to USA in the setup menu using an aftermarket app, which means it will assist to 20mph, and this makes all the difference as l was also constantly bouncing off the 15.5mph assist limit on flat roads.

Now l can sit at 18mph (where legal of course) and this is so much better.

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
I have a Ripmo AF and Giant Reign E+2. I still ride the Ripmo Af on shorter climb trails and love it on the rowdier descents as I can throw it around more than the Reign. The Reign however I can do triple or four times the descents which is why I bought it. Self shuttling is the bees knees for me. I am keeping the Ripmo AF and can't wait to take it to bike park but that will have to wait as I had an injury end of June.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles