Problem charging my new Trance X E+ 3

GeoBoris

Jan 29, 2021
France - Alsace
Hello everybody,

last Thursday I picked up my new "Giant Trance XE+3".
Meanwhile, I've driven 200km and I'm really excited.

Unfortunately, however, I have a problem:

Meanwhile, I have recharged the battery 3 times from about 20-30%.

Each time the charging takes forever. When I look at the charge level after 12-14 hours, the battery is 84% to 91% full and no longer charges.

If I then disconnect the charger from the power, wait a minute and connect it again, the rest is charged.

Battery has always had room temperature of about 16-20°C (stored after the last trip for over a day in the warm before I started charging). (The trips themselves have been in frost around -2 to +2°C).

First I thought of a contact problem from the charger -> bike -> battery. Have cleaned all contacts and also measured with a multimeter -> no defective connection found. I also took the battery out of the bike and charged it directly -> same problem.

What seems strange to me is that when I disconnect the charger after +12 hours of charging from the battery / bike it continues to flash green, as if it would continue to charge and not notice that no battery is connected. It doesn't jump back to red, which is what I would expect. Is this normal?

Otherwise, at the moment, I would probably most likely assume a faulty charger. In the less favorable case, the battery has a "quirk".

Thanks for your feedback!

IMG_20210123_103250.jpg

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Mine did the same from new and for awhile the only way I could get a 100% charge was off the bike. Now, after 750km (10+ charge cycles) it is starting to behave normally.

Speedy

Feb 18, 2021
Slovenia
Hello everybody,

Each time the charging takes forever. When I look at the charge level after 12-14 hours, the battery is 84% to 91% full and no longer charges.

If I then disconnect the charger from the power, wait a minute and connect it again, the rest is charged.

Battery has always had room temperature of about 16-20°C (stored after the last trip for over a day in the warm before I started charging). (The trips themselves have been in frost around -2 to +2°C).

First I thought of a contact problem from the charger -> bike -> battery. Have cleaned all contacts and also measured with a multimeter -> no defective connection found. I also took the battery out of the bike and charged it directly -> same problem.

What seems strange to me is that when I disconnect the charger after +12 hours of charging from the battery / bike it continues to flash green, as if it would continue to charge and not notice that no battery is connected. It doesn't jump back to red, which is what I would expect. Is this normal?

Otherwise, at the moment, I would probably most likely assume a faulty charger. In the less favorable case, the battery has a "quirk".

View attachment 51653
Hi, I have exactly the same issue with the charger or battery with the same ebike model. Bought new in January 21, after two charging average time of charge is 16 hours....on so called fast charger..
I have contacted shop so will take the battery and charger on further examination next week.
Will keep you updated when more news available.

GeoBoris

Jan 29, 2021
France - Alsace
Thanks for the feedback.
My dealer provided me with a new charger which sadly wasn't the solution.
Next step is, that he want's the charger and the battery for further testing...

GeoBoris

Jan 29, 2021
France - Alsace
I had the same issue , seemed to slowly correct itself after 9-10 charges.
Jep, thanks for your feedback, I've read that too but I'm still stressing my dealer for a solution because I can't accept such a behavior from a €4,100.- product. If it will "self repair" after 10 charges.. OK, but until then the dealer/Giant have to find the cause of this....

fitmac

Jan 4, 2021
Hindon
Hello everybody,

View attachment 51653
Relax I think this is a widespread ’feature’. Got my E3 Pro on Tuesday, by Thursday battery was 60%, so charged it on the bike overnight. After 14 hours it was 91% (sound familiar ?). Green flashing light, no Red. Took battery out and charged for 2 more hours. Boom....100%. Judging by other posts this is a common theme and disappears after approx. 10 charge cycles.
Thank goodness for Forums or it could be concerning esp as it’s my first EMTB ?

Speedy

Feb 18, 2021
Slovenia
Relax I think this is a widespread ’feature’. Got my E3 Pro on Tuesday, by Thursday battery was 60%, so charged it on the bike overnight. After 14 hours it was 91% (sound familiar ?). Green flashing light, no Red. Took battery out and charged for 2 more hours. Boom....100%. Judging by other posts this is a common theme and disappears after approx. 10 charge cycles.
Thank goodness for Forums or it could be concerning esp as it’s my first EMTB ?

Hi everybody. I have the same issue. However, removing the battery out of the bike and charging it directly with charger and adapter, charging time is normal - 4 hours from 0% to 100%. It seems there must be an issue with charging adapter within the bike. After discussion with a shop, this is NOT NORMAL so they promissed to take care after my first servis. I have decided to wait on this famous 10 charges as I read in the forum to see if abnormally long charging time with integrated battery on the bike will dissapear. If not, I will change charging adapter within the bike within warranty and keep you posted on results.
Otherwise I fully enjoy with ebike, it is absolutely one of the best decision / purchase I have done. It seems app 70km and 1.500 altitude meters is max with full charge battery, using travel mode (level 2) but this is more then enough.
Cheers!

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
Jep, thanks for your feedback, I've read that too but I'm still stressing my dealer for a solution because I can't accept such a behavior from a €4,100.- product. If it will "self repair" after 10 charges.. OK, but until then the dealer/Giant have to find the cause of this....
Hi, any new about solutions for this issue?

Sure you can charge it out of the bike, but this is not accepted as solution.

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
Hi everybody. I have the same issue. However, removing the battery out of the bike and charging it directly with charger and adapter, charging time is normal - 4 hours from 0% to 100%. It seems there must be an issue with charging adapter within the bike. After discussion with a shop, this is NOT NORMAL so they promissed to take care after my first servis. I have decided to wait on this famous 10 charges as I read in the forum to see if abnormally long charging time with integrated battery on the bike will dissapear. If not, I will change charging adapter within the bike within warranty and keep you posted on results.
Otherwise I fully enjoy with ebike, it is absolutely one of the best decision / purchase I have done. It seems app 70km and 1.500 altitude meters is max with full charge battery, using travel mode (level 2) but this is more then enough.
Cheers!
Hi, doesn't look there is a problem with the charger if it can charge the battery out of the bike. I think there is something wrong about compatibility bike-battery. Let us know any new about

Speedy

Feb 18, 2021
Slovenia
Hi, doesn't look there is a problem with the charger if it can charge the battery out of the bike. I think there is something wrong about compatibility bike-battery. Let us know any new about
Hi, no it is not a charger, but integrated part on the bike where you plug the charger if you charge the battery on the bike (I hope my English is understandible). See below picture. So it must something between the below marked plug and a battery connectors in the bike that doesnt work well.

1614781903071.png

1614781823061.png

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
Hi, no it is not a charger, but integrated part on the bike where you plug the charger if you charge the battery on the bike (I hope my English is understandible). See below picture. So it must something between the below marked plug and a battery connectors in the bike that doesnt work well.

View attachment 54697

View attachment 54696
Yes, I understood it?

That plug is just a couple of cable which connect with the battery...if the charge works fine until 90% why it can not get charged the last 10% ??
Is the same plug as Reign 2020, I didn't hear about this issue before this new trance 29"

GeoBoris

Jan 29, 2021
France - Alsace
From the charging-Port on the bike to the pins in the bike connecting the battery is just a "through-connection" - I measured that.
So, there should be no difference than charging the battery externally with the charging-adapter.
But it is.... battery in the frame it charges mostly up to 70-80% than stops. Have to power cycle the charger, than it continues.
Battery outside the frame, charges without any problem.
I think there might me an interference with the bike-electronic, or a contact problem (but i cleaned and measured everything)

More and more people seams to have that problem. I told my dealer, I'll wait until this "famous" 10 charges and than it might work, otherwise the bike goes back for service...

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
From the charging-Port on the bike to the pins in the bike connecting the battery is just a "through-connection" - I measured that.
So, there should be no difference than charging the battery externally with the charging-adapter.
But it is.... battery in the frame it charges mostly up to 70-80% than stops. Have to power cycle the charger, than it continues.
I think there might me an interference with the bike-electronic, or a contact problem (but i cleaned and measured everything)

More and more people seams to have that problem. I told my dealer, I'll wait until this "famous" 10 charges and than it might work, otherwise the bike goes back for service...

thats the point, I can't understand why is this problem happening, has no sense.

Just4Fun

Mar 5, 2021
USA
First post, just got the Trance yesterday and it is a great bike. More than I can ride for a while. My battery has been in the bike charging for about 5 hours, green light on the charger still blinking. Checked the charge status on the controller and it's at 5 lights. So I guess it's charged. I have not installed the app yet.

Just4Fun

Mar 5, 2021
USA
No problems with the bike but not sure about the smart charger. No app installed yet. The charger has light signals for charging. But the instructions are not clear on the meaning. To me is says:
Red blinking= charging issue
Green constant=Charging completed
Green blinking=During charging .
Red constant=not connected
My problem is with it connected I am getting the red constant and it is fully connected. Checked it twice, still constant red. All 5 lights show battery fully charged. Shouldn't the charger show a solid green for charging completed?

Just4Fun

Mar 5, 2021
USA
Got this answer from a guy in Poland on another suite;
"When a Giant battery is over, say, 92%, the charger will stay red and no charging on an attempt to recharge. It is normal. Discharge the battery to 90% then you can recharge it to 100%."
A little info in the instruction book would be nice. \
BTW in removing the battery I noticed that these things are no way waterproof or even water resistant.

Like Reply

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

I cant find the official Gaint statements, maybe somebody else has them?- but I believe the smart charger will automatically 6 amp charge off bike, and 4 amp charge on bike.

Perhaps the differance in charge rate is effecting charge cut-off?

Edit: I could not verify this using my power monitor. The charge rate current, at least at the wall outlet, was the same charging on and off the bike.

Last edited:

fitmac

Jan 4, 2021
Hindon
Got this answer from a guy in Poland on another suite;
"When a Giant battery is over, say, 92%, the charger will stay red and no charging on an attempt to recharge. It is normal. Discharge the battery to 90% then you can recharge it to 100%."
A little info in the instruction book would be nice. \
BTW in removing the battery I noticed that these things are no way waterproof or even water resistant.

Like Reply

Totally standard experience, exactly what happened to me and many others. You DO need the App to tell you battery charge level accurately and battery health. App is useless for rides though.
Common experience is battery gets to 92% when charged on bike for first charge even if you carry on for hours and hours....and light goes red if you persist. If continue off bike, all is good and 100% soon reached as well as solid green light.
I always charge indoors off bike as
1.keeps battery warmer
2.I can see and dry up the water droplets in battery compartment
3. Someone in family can stop charging as soon as they see solid green light ?

Other than this and needing a shim on my electric connectors no problems. Absolutely love the bike esp Yamaha motor.
Enjoy ??

Tamtami

Apr 11, 2021
France
Hi,
I am new in this forum. I am French sorry for my English.

I have the same problem with my new Trance e+2.
I received the bike last december, and when I use the plug on the bike, the battery is full at 80-90% (no problem with the battery charged out the bike), and the led is still green flashing after 14 hours or more...
I wonder if this will not occur another problem. My battery's life is about 98% (seen on the app), but I have only 6 charges recorded: is the charger still try to charge the battery during long hours and is it "good" for the battery's life ?

My shop told me that Giant knows the problem, they are going to change a component just behind the plug but he doesn't know when...we'll see !

GeoBoris

Jan 29, 2021
France - Alsace
Hi,
I am new in this forum. I am French sorry for my English.

I have the same problem with my new Trance e+2.
I received the bike last december, and when I use the plug on the bike, the battery is full at 80-90% (no problem with the battery charged out the bike), and the led is still green flashing after 14 hours or more...
I wonder if this will not occur another problem. My battery's life is about 98% (seen on the app), but I have only 6 charges recorded: is the charger still try to charge the battery during long hours and is it "good" for the battery's life ?

My shop told me that Giant knows the problem, they are going to change a component just behind the plug but he doesn't know when...we'll see !

Hi Tamtami,

greetings from Alsace to France ;):censored:
It seems that you have exactly the same problem as me / we have here.
Very interesting is your statement from your dealer that the problem is known to Giant and that a part behind the charging socket has to be replaced. Do you know more about that in the meantime?
Unfortunately, my dealer can't say anything about it, but he also wants to have the bike in the shop first. I haven't had the time / motivation to do this yet...

I have now ridden the Giant for about 800km and must have about 12 charging cycles. The problem has not been solved (what was once stated here that it gets better after 10 cycles is unfortunately not the case for me).

A replacement charger from my dealer worked exactly once (!?), then I had exactly the same problem with it.

Tamtami

Apr 11, 2021
France
Hello Boris,
I phoned my shop yesterday, they are unable to give more details. As you, they want me to leave the bike for two weeks, they were not so confident with this component “behind” the bike port yesterday, unlike my previous call, I will wait next November...
I tried another charger too, but this is not the solution...there is something wrong with the plug.

I advise you to check your battery life. Due to long hours charging, I wonder if this is so good for the battery cells...

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
Hello Boris,
I phoned my shop yesterday, they are unable to give more details. As you, they want me to leave the bike for two weeks, they were not so confident with this component “behind” the bike port yesterday, unlike my previous call, I will wait next November...
I tried another charger too, but this is not the solution...there is something wrong with the plug.

I advise you to check your battery life. Due to long hours charging, I wonder if this is so good for the battery cells...
it depends which charger are you using. For example, old chargers, from 2019 models work fine and have no problem on these new trance. I tested with my trance 2019 and trance 2021

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
it depends which charger are you using. For example, old chargers, from 2019 models work fine and have no problem on these new trance. I tested with my trance 2019 and trance 2021
Are you charging on or off bike? Did you do the latest firmware update?

Our results are different. My 2021 battery acts the same, with either an old charger (2019) or the new one?.

In both cases, the battery gets fully charged, but the green light never stops flashing.

Jonny

Mar 17, 2021
Birmingham
I charged my Trance X E+ 2 Pro 2021 up for the first time last night. It stopped at 84%. Plugged it in again this morning before going out and it charged fully. It does seem like an attempt to condition the battery when new.

Tamtami

Apr 11, 2021
France
Hello,
I charged my Trance X E+ 2 Pro 2021 up for the first time last night. It stopped at 84%. Plugged it in again this morning before going out and it charged fully. It does seem like an attempt to condition the battery when new.
hello,
You seem to have the same probleme as ours. You would contact your sailor, they will change the plug of your bike and a component, and the problem is not solved with more charges unfortunately...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles