Magicshine ME 2000, Trance X e+ 3

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
Just wanted to share a couple pics from my Magicshine ME 2000 install tonight, I'll post in the Product Reviews forum once I've had some time riding with it.

I’m on a 2021 Trance X e+ 3 so it has the small display-less ergo controller on the left bar. Since there’s a headlight on/off button on the controller I felt compelled to hardwire into the Giant supplied connector.

Overall it went well, I didn’t follow any instructions aside from learning about the headlight connector in the headset.

The ME 2000 came with a generously long cable and correct connector already installed, truly plug & play, here were the general steps:

1. Removed battery and unscrewed the battery mount mechanism at the top. Be aware those two torx screws are “security” screws that require a hollow torx wrench. That mechanism is unusually robust & heavy, Giant could certainly save some weight here!

2. Fished out the headlight connector from the headset and ran the new cable through the existing stock frame outlet. I had to enlarge the opening in the plastic grommet a bit, used a drill but you could use a Dremel tool.

3. Mounted everything, adjusted the battery mount, then simply attached the lamp to the bars.

The light seems to perform well, especially for its small size. The beam pattern seems a nice combo of spot and flood. It’s probably sufficient for moderate riding, but I’m going to combine it with a helmet mounted light for any extended night adventures.

Sorry bout the rainy photos, since many of you are in the UK I suppose it’s normal but out here in California we’re getting properly soaked this month! Pics show the highest setting.

Overall recommended, especially for the price: $79.99 shipped (ordered from magicshine.com).
IMG_4551D.JPG

IMG_4554.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
One thing that I don't like about the Magicshine is the daylight running mode. For daylight I want full intensity, flashing or not. The daylight mode is simply not visible. So, there is an easy cure for this. Color the light switch, which is also the ambient light sensor, with a black magic marker to block the light sensor. It will never go into the daylight running mode again. Best try try this with a bit of black tape to see if you like it before you color it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
By full intensity do you mean 2000lm when riding around in broad daylight?

Why?

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
I've got the 1000 lumen one. We did a test at 100 yards and the daylight mode is not visible at all in daylight. I want to be seen if I am out on any roads. This is not a problem if you only ride trails. I ride trails then sometimes I'm out on country roads where people are pulling out of their driveways. I can't tell you how many times full brightness flashing has caught the attention of someone trying to pull out in front of me.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
I've got the 1000 lumen one. We did a test at 100 yards and the daylight mode is not visible at all in daylight. I want to be seen if I am out on any roads. This is not a problem if you only ride trails. I ride trails then sometimes I'm out on country roads where people are pulling out of their driveways. I can't tell you how many times full brightness flashing has caught the attention of someone trying to pull out in front of me.
And the main problem with the daylight mode is that it’s not focused. It uses all those lights around the edge on the 1000 model. I want a few hundred lumans facing straight ahead. Im not sure if flashing or solid is best but it needs to be bright (not 2000 l tho)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I commute by bike all year round. In Scotland so in the dark half the year and often in low light conditions due to our wet climate.
a flashing front light is definitely very helpful to be seen either when filtering through stationary or slow moving traffic and to alert drivers that you're behind them or for upcoming junctions but I don't think I'd ever use a flashing light anywhere near 1000lm as a light that bright can dazzle oncoming traffic, pedestrians or cyclists. been momentarily blinded many times myself by others with overly bright lights pointed straight ahead travelling in the opposite direction. all you should really need in daylight is a light to catch a drivers eye rather than dazzle the fuck out of them. Your Magicshine's daylight mode doesn't sound great from your description.

for commuting I use one of these stand alone silicone band on 80lm USB re-chargable LEDs on the front.
They're really versatile and can be attached to many places on your bike or your bag, helmet, jacket etc. if you want.
71LLgz4E7DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Available on amazon. but amazon links don't seem to work here for some reason
I generally get a good few weeks worth of commutes out of each charge
I have a separate light for seeing where I'm going if commuting in the dark.

The last time i got hit by a car I was commuting home through the city in the dark and I was riding with an 80lm flashing LED and 800lm constant light on the bars. a flashing red LED arm band. an 80lm LED flashing red LED on my hip/belt, a Red 30/50lm smart Led under the saddle, a constant Red magicshine seemee 30lm LED on the seatpost and a moon flashing red 25lm LED on each chainstay. Lit up like a christmas tree
After switching lanes with no warning and hitting me with the wing of his car as i picked myself up from the road the twat had the audacity to tell me he "hadn't seen me" :rolleyes:

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
Sorry to hear it @Gary, drivers can look straight at you and still not see you. Coming from the motorcycle world this is unfortunately common, and even worse on a bicycle.

I agree this isn’t a good light for daytime commuting. The beam pattern is blinding for oncoming traffic, and I usually cover it with my hand when approaching oncoming hikers or bikers.

For my purposes off-road it’s a good light, but I’d like to see additional brightness levels (there’s only 3) and the switch is sometimes tricky to reach. But overall I’m still satisfied.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
It amazes me that this light and so many others have crap firmware. All modes should be selectable to the user at any time. There should be an easy way to dim the light when necessary with a single button click and then resume again.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Yeah. I commute by bike all year round. In Scotland so in the dark half the year and often in low light conditions due to our wet climate.
a flashing front light is definitely very helpful to be seen either when filtering through stationary or slow moving traffic and to alert drivers that you're behind them or for upcoming junctions but I don't think I'd ever use a flashing light anywhere near 1000lm as a light that bright can dazzle oncoming traffic, pedestrians or cyclists. been momentarily blinded many times myself by others with overly bright lights pointed straight ahead travelling in the opposite direction. all you should really need in daylight is a light to catch a drivers eye rather than dazzle the fuck out of them. Your Magicshine's daylight mode doesn't sound great from your description.

for commuting I use one of these stand alone silicone band on 80lm USB re-chargable LEDs on the front.
They're really versatile and can be attached to many places on your bike or your bag, helmet, jacket etc. if you want.
71LLgz4E7DL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Available on amazon. but amazon links don't seem to work here for some reason
I generally get a good few weeks worth of commutes out of each charge
I have a separate light for seeing where I'm going if commuting in the dark.

The last time i got hit by a car I was commuting home through the city in the dark and I was riding with an 80lm flashing LED and 800lm constant light on the bars. a flashing red LED arm band. an 80lm LED flashing red LED on my hip/belt, a Red 30/50lm smart Led under the saddle, a constant Red magicshine seemee 30lm LED on the seatpost and a moon flashing red 25lm LED on each chainstay. Lit up like a christmas tree
After switching lanes with no warning and hitting me with the wing of his car as i picked myself up from the road the twat had the audacity to tell me he "hadn't seen me" :rolleyes:
Wow. That is a well thought out commuting setup. Great amount of info here in this post. Thanks for sharing.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry to hear it @Gary, drivers can look straight at you and still not see you.
Thanks man. I was all good. You get a sixth sense for pre-empting what retarded moves dozy or selfish drivers are about to make. But occasionally (once every few years or so for me) you're in a position where there's less you can do to avoid it. Years of crashing my tits out on DH bikes and dirt jumping has left me with ninja like reactions when I do go down so I wasn't hurt in the (forced) tumble. I just wish there had been more damage to the guys car wing as a reminder to him to actually look before making a maneuver.

Coming from the motorcycle world
TBF I ride more road miles each year on my bicycles than most of my motorcyclist friends do on their precious (garaged all winter) motorcycles.
Riding a road motorcycle with all the dozy car drivers everywhere scares the shit out of me.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Thanks man. I was all good. You get a sixth sense for pre-empting what retarded moves dozy or selfish drivers are about to make. But occasionally (once every few years or so for me) you're in a position where there's less you can do to avoid it. Years of crashing my tits out on DH bikes and dirt jumping has left me with ninja like reactions when I do go down so I wasn't hurt in the (forced) tumble. I just wish there had been more damage to the guys car wing as a reminder to him to actually look before making a maneuver.

TBF I ride more road miles each year on my bicycles than most of my motorcyclist friends do on their precious (garaged all winter) motorcycles.
Riding a road motorcycle with all the dozy car drivers everywhere scares the shit out of me.
With the “texting & driving” plague, I try to avoid being on the road as much as possible.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Wow. That is a well thought out commuting setup. Great amount of info here in this post. Thanks for sharing.
No worries. I've been night riding both on and off road for close to 30 years. Lights are amazing nowadays in comparison and very affordable. I'd rather be lit like a Christmas tree than mowed over.
On the road the arm band is invaluable to being given room from overtaking drivers. But unbelievably still doesn't guarantee no stupidly close passes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
With the “texting & driving” plague, I try to avoid being on the road as much as possible.
That's a shame. But I totally understand your fears.
You actually get used to spotting and pre empting them as that 6th sense I mentioned develops. I also know almost every single hole or section of damaged road surface. Pinch point or blind spot along the entirity of the various routes I ride. Along with light sequences and it amazes me the same drivers boot it past only to have to brake hard for tge 'obvious' red light or queue while I time it so as to sail through rarely ever having to brake at all.
I love that I can ride to work each day rather than drive.
Work is bang in the middle of the city just under 20miles from my home out in the country side. but due to congestion it's actually quicker to ride than drive. Plus parking would be impossible/extortionate
In summer I can commute a shorter 90% off road route on the Eeb. (unfortunately it's far too muddy/wet for that to be fun ATM)

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY

I think when comparing to motorcycles we need to compare hours of activity, rather than miles. Which brings up the big question, which one is a safer activity? I don't really want to research the answer. From the MC world, AGATT (All Your Gear All The Time) applies to my cycling. Bright colors, bright front and rear lights, Garmin Radar if I am out on the roads for extended period, and extreme awareness of the situation. Additionally, picking roads that are not commuter roads and have bail out areas and good sight lines is essential for me. Sometimes when you commute you have no choice, but I am a rec rider. I calculated yesterday that my dirt road rides have a car passing every 2.5 - 5 miles.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think when comparing to motorcycles we need to compare hours of activity, rather than miles.
I think I cycle somewhere in the region of 10+hrs per week most weeks all year round which puts me at way more hours per year than any of my motorcycling friends.

Bright colors
I don't ever ride in bright colours.

I don't want to be seen as a cyclist (bear with me here). Cyclists have been de-humanised by the media and the driving world. And not dressing like one while cycling on the road is actually safer. Proven by various experiments. My experience agrees entirely with this.

I don't ever ride the road in a helmet either. (but let's not go there)

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
I think I cycle somewhere in the region of 10+hrs per week most weeks all year round which puts me at way more hours per year than any of my motorcycling friends.

I don't ever ride in bright colours.

I don't want to be seen as a cyclist (bear with me here). Cyclists have been de-humanised by the media and the driving world. And not dressing like one while cycling on the road is actually safer. Proven by various experiments. My experience agrees entirely with this.

I don't ever ride the road in a helmet either. (but let's not go there)
Well, it’s up to you. Yes cyclists are morons quite often, getting out of their cars then blocking roads on their bikes. However, two people I know have been flattened this year. Both wore black clothes while riding. Somehow they were put back together but I’m sure their bodies are not the same after a year of rehab. I’ve smashed a few helmets so I’m a believer.

Porcupine

Sep 5, 2022
South east UK
Just wanted to share a couple pics from my Magicshine ME 2000 install tonight, I'll post in the Product Reviews forum once I've had some time riding with it.

I’m on a 2021 Trance X e+ 3 so it has the small display-less ergo controller on the left bar. Since there’s a headlight on/off button on the controller I felt compelled to hardwire into the Giant supplied connector.

Overall it went well, I didn’t follow any instructions aside from learning about the headlight connector in the headset.
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but thanks OP for the write-up. I want some new lights for my Trance now, as my 10+ year old Magicshine bar light is showing its age.
Have you noticed any drop in cycling range for the bike when you're using the light on full power?
Also, do you know how much power the Giant system allows a headlight to draw? I've read that Shimano systems might limit lights to 12W. Presumably Yamaha do the same, so there's a point at which there's no benefit picking a higher-output light unit. I can't find any info about this online for Yamaha.

Edit: I found a table on the Exposure website that answers my own question about the power outputs of various e-bike systems: https://www.exposure-use.com/Brands/Exposure-Lights/Product-Support/E-Light-Hub
My '21 Trance E+ uses the Yamaha PW-X2 motor so I'm limited to 1000 lumens.
This seems to be a hugely limiting factor for using these kinds of lights as the main source for off-road night riding :-(

1667391297841.png

Last edited:

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
I’ve put Magic shine lights on my trance and on my levo. The 1000 model works really well. Battery drain is insignificant. The only thing that I don’t like is the fact that the daytime running lights are not full brightness. I stick black tape over the light sensor (button) so that I can use full brightness or flash during the day. Minor wrinkle with an excellent light. I will also mention that the competing major brand Lezyne lights has a bracket that uses the stem screws, and plastic spacers. Don’t buy that Lezyne version! Magics alum bar clamp is far superior and less likely to cause a stem bolt failure. Great product.

Last edited:

Smonkey

Mar 21, 2022
UK
I'm glad this has been resurrected as I was just looking at the magicshine lights.

I've got a 2021 trance X and I'm a little confused regarding fitting. I'm assuming the standard Giant light connector is in the headstock above the battery mount.

Do I need to remove the battery mount as well as the side cable grommet to get to it?

I take it the magicshine yamaha connection cable just plugs straight into it?

Apologies if these seem stupid but there are various youtube videos with people plugging lights into the connectors at the motor, cutting connectors and soldering wires straight together and routing cables all over the place. I just want to confirm that the magicshine lights are just plug and play.

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
Do I need to remove the battery mount as well as the side cable grommet to get to it?

I take it the magicshine yamaha connection cable just plugs straight into it?

1. Unless you're a surgeon you'll most likely need to remove the battery mount to get to the stock connector, it takes the "hollow" torx wrenches (security screw). Likewise for the side grommet, that needs to come out. I needed to enlarge the grommet a little with a drill to accommodate the new cable.

2. If you get the Magicshine Yamaha e-bike wiring then it will plug straight into the unused connector on the stock wiring harness. No splicing required. Some older Giants had the connector down near the bottom bracket, but mine was up near the headset.

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but thanks OP for the write-up. I want some new lights for my Trance now, as my 10+ year old Magicshine bar light is showing its age.
Have you noticed any drop in cycling range for the bike when you're using the light on full power?
Also, do you know how much power the Giant system allows a headlight to draw? I've read that Shimano systems might limit lights to 12W. Presumably Yamaha do the same, so there's a point at which there's no benefit picking a higher-output light unit. I can't find any info about this online for Yamaha.

Tis the season for lights and fenders!

I don't notice any drop in range with the light on, even at full brightness for longer durations. LEDs these days are very efficient.

The max lumens is probably just a generalization, I think it has more to do with the efficiency of the light itself and bulb selection/configuration. But I'm no expert.

When I installed the Magicshine light I wired it straight to a motorcycle battery to test it first. I didn't see any perceivable difference in brightness between the two power sources (same disclosure, no expert here :)

One benefit I've come to appreciate by hardwiring the light: No additional battery to charge, and it's nice using the button already on the controller. But I also ride an analog bike and sometimes wish I could swap over the light easier.

Smonkey

Mar 21, 2022
UK
1. Unless you're a surgeon you'll most likely need to remove the battery mount to get to the stock connector, it takes the "hollow" torx wrenches (security screw). Likewise for the side grommet, that needs to come out. I needed to enlarge the grommet a little with a drill to accommodate the new cable.

2. If you get the Magicshine Yamaha e-bike wiring then it will plug straight into the unused connector on the stock wiring harness. No splicing required. Some older Giants had the connector down near the bottom bracket, but mine was up near the headset.
Cheers for that. I was a bit confused as the Magicshine US site lists a Giant cable and a Yamaha cable.

I'll have a crack at doing it without removing the battery mount first and see how it goes 😁

Stayrudee

Feb 12, 2020
Poland
I’ve put Magic shine lights on my trance and on my levo. The 1000 model works really well. Battery drain is insignificant. The only thing that I don’t like is the fact that the daytime running lights are not full brightness. I stick black tape over the light sensor (button) so that I can use full brightness or flash during the day. Minor wrinkle with an excellent light. I will also mention that the competing major brand Lezyne lights has a bracket that uses the stem screws, and plastic spacers. Don’t buy that Lezyne version! Magics alum bar clamp is far superior and less likely to cause a stem bolt failure. Great product.
Hi is it possible to turn it off on the levo? I can’t figure it out

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles