Pic of the Day

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Hadn't expected to ride today with a change of plan ( family visit now happening tomorrow) meaning I could .
Went local to Kielder ..the first pic is of 3 emtber's heading towards "Stairway to Heaven" section ..they were planning on doing the "Cross Border Route " to Newcastleton & back .. View attachment 61588 Next pics inside Skyspace ..where on a dark night you can contemplate the stars & the universe ..but today the Galaxy was inside sitting on top of my sport drink .. View attachment 61589 View attachment 61590 View attachment 61591

And finally a short woodwork section near the start of the Deadwater trail View attachment 61592
I bet you took that bar of chocolate on purpose, just so you could get the gag in!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Not quite Bill...it only came to me when I was looking at the pics at home ..but that's not to say I wouldn't have staged it if I'd thought about it in advance ?
The real surprise is that there was some left when I got there ..?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Hadn't expected to ride today with a change of plan ( family visit now happening tomorrow) meaning I could .
Went local to Kielder ..the first pic is of 3 emtber's heading towards "Stairway to Heaven" section ..they were planning on doing the "Cross Border Route " to Newcastleton & back .. View attachment 61588 Next pics inside Skyspace ..where on a dark night you can contemplate the stars & the universe ..but today the Galaxy was inside sitting on top of my sport drink .. View attachment 61589 View attachment 61590 View attachment 61591

And finally a short woodwork section near the start of the Deadwater trail View attachment 61592
I nearly headed up there for the night, at Helmsley instead and no bike in van ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
That's a shame ..( about the bike)
What I have noticed recently after years of saying " thou must not park overnight"is that the F.C. have taken the blinkers off and are now allowing Campervans to stay in certain " scenic " car parks at the rate of £10.00 per night with ticket machines to collect your dosh ..no facilities mind but there is a massive increase in this type of vehicle in the area ..

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
That's a shame ..( about the bike)
What I have noticed recently after years of saying " thou must not park overnight"is that the F.C. have taken the blinkers off and are now allowing Campervans to stay in certain " scenic " car parks at the rate of £10.00 per night with ticket machines to collect your dosh ..no facilities mind but there is a massive increase in this type of vehicle in the area ..
There's always been a blind eye to the odd camper but I've seen plenty mess left by shiteheeds spoiling it.
The boozer top of kielder used to let y stay in the car park but the landlady died last year so dunno whats happening now.
Stayed at inners plenty, glentress back in the day. Wolftracks last year.
Infact if it doesn't say y can't then y can

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
The Anglers Arms ( Kielder ) has just been taken over ..seems to be quite a bit of work going on ..I think the landlord is charging a tenner to stay ..
My Dad ( 84 ) had to give up his camper a couple of years back due to ill health ..broke his heart ..stayed up in the Scottish Highlands & Islands for months at a time and knew all the best free spots ..?
Before my lad came along we borrowed his camper and stayed down nr.Coniston with the bikes ( did a Walna Scar / Grizedale loop) with the missus and was so proud of her that day as she was almost a novice ..she has done nothing in the last 18 years bike wise having lost interest since becoming a mother ..
When Alex was 3 y/old we borrowed it again and went over to Kippford where it pissed down for a week ..and had a thoroughly miserable time ..and that was the end of that ?
Would do it again now that he is about to go off to Uni..if we had the means to do so..
but never again with a toddler !

Bongostu

May 15, 2021
Gateshead

That was us, nice to meet you today. We stayed overnight in Skyspace car park. Nice spot. Made sure nothing was left behind. Went to Anglers Arms for food and drink last night.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
The Anglers Arms ( Kielder ) has just been taken over ..seems to be quite a bit of work going on ..I think the landlord is charging a tenner to stay ..
My Dad ( 84 ) had to give up his camper a couple of years back due to ill health ..broke his heart ..stayed up in the Scottish Highlands & Islands for months at a time and knew all the best free spots ..?
Before my lad came along we borrowed his camper and stayed down nr.Coniston with the bikes ( did a Walna Scar / Grizedale loop) with the missus and was so proud of her that day as she was almost a novice ..she has done nothing in the last 18 years bike wise having lost interest since becoming a mother ..
When Alex was 3 y/old we borrowed it again and went over to Kippford where it pissed down for a week ..and had a thoroughly miserable time ..and that was the end of that ?
Would do it again now that he is about to go off to Uni..if we had the means to do so..
but never again with a toddler !
Does the new landlord look like he's oot of the Monkey's?
Last time we were there me mates cousin and her fella were on about taking it over, they used to work the bar at leaplish.
We used t go a couple of times a year in the cabins.

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
Dirtsuit day ?

IMG_A.png

IMG_B.jpg

IMG_C.jpg

Just a little bit muddy ?

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
[mention]Jeffrey [/mention] where did you get the dirtsuit? I need one of those
I bought it a year ago directly at the Swiss importer Bikeimport.ch, but don't buy here if you are in UK!

At the moment almost all models are out of stock... You should check directly on the Dirtlej website (they ship to UK). Looks the Dirtsuit Pro is available, and also the SFD.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Does the new landlord look like he's oot of the Monkey's?
Last time we were there me mates cousin and her fella were on about taking it over, they used to work the bar at leaplish.
We used t go a couple of times a year in the cabins.
That depends which one of the Monkeys you mean ..Dave, Dee,Dozy ,Beaky, Mick & Titch ..if my memory serves ..?
I'm sure he would fit the profile of one of them ( but then couldn't we all )..
The Anglers is too far out for a swift one ..and I hardly visit any pubs these days ..the Hollybush in Greenhaugh occasionally as my old man lives directly opposite..
Nice to see you still call it Leaplish ..I can't bring myself to call it Waterside ?..lots of memories as the family used to run the watersport centre ( instruction) ..windsurfing , canoeing , sailing & motorboats ..30 yrs ago .
We used to "invent" someone who looked like they were in trouble so we could use the rescue boat for a high speed blast every now & then ( obviously it was a training run) ..back in the day it never really made money ..Im sure it would be different now but visitor numbers and the place itself was not as developed as it is now ..

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Yes, great ride but knackered now. Hard work on a hardtail. My mate ran out of leccy with about 5 miles to go. He made it though.
That kind of bears out the theory I had when I went over from Kielder to Newcastleton ..and I'm sure that I would have run out of juice too if I had continued ..
Hope you had a rope to pull him up the hills ..but I guess a lot of the last leg would be downhill anyway ..

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
That depends which one of the Monkeys you mean ..Dave, Dee,Dozy ,Beaky, Mick & Titch ..if my memory serves ..?
The Anglers is too far out for a swift one ..and I hardly visit any pubs these days ..the Hollybush in Greenhaugh occasionally as my old man lives directly opposite..
Nice to see you still call it Leaplish ..I can't bring myself to call it Waterside ?..lots of memories as the family used to run the watersport centre ( instruction) ..windsurfing , canoeing , sailing & motorboats ..30 yrs ago .
We used to "invent" someone who looked like they were in trouble so we could use the rescue boat for a high speed blast every now & then ( obviously it was a training run) ..back in the day it never really made money ..Im sure it would be different now but visitor numbers and the place itself was not as developed as it is now ..
For shuttlebug read insomniac ??

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
The Monkees were Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork and Davy Jones.
Having never been to said establishment though, perhaps I’m missing something with your other '60s band reference..? :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Great view! I am planning a ride to Harry Rocks. Just calculating the pitstop options
I will have a video of the ride on my you tube channel (mikerbwind) later today which may help with your planning. Where are you planning to start from?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles