Old blokes who should know better.....

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
bored, watching masterchef and doing this... a new theme of "Dobby Jumps Dobby"..

number one, Dobby jumps Dobby at the Cambridge rock festival.....

CRFestival.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Progress.... seriously though, what next ?
build a huge wide tabletop so I can actually learn to 'tabletop' ? suggestions?

I still think I can actually feel your anxiety on the pink panther car just before you land everytime when you're body's screaming at you it's about to front flip .... :)

"Dobby Jumps Dobby"..

I think there's already a word for this ....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
bored, watching masterchef
Saw it for the first time ever last night and afterwards commented to my GF "how do folk watch episode after episode of this?" her reply was something along the lines of "you realise, that was only a quarter of an episode you watched?".

What next MASTERDOINGTHEDISHES?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
How about Learn the names of what you're attempting ;)

"bar twist"

and

"hill jump"

FFS!

:ROFLMAO:

you survived ! its been so long since you came here and gave me grief, er, I mean guidance.. that I thought you had succumbed to the lager virus....
yea, I dunno what stuff is called and I dont use the word 'super' in front of every other word, settling usually for the word 'f*ck'- and yea, I can pronounce asterisks :p

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
you survived ! its been so long since you came here and gave me grief, er, I mean guidance.. that I thought you had succumbed to the lager virus....
yea, I dunno what stuff is called and I dont use the word 'super' in front of every other word, settling usually for the word 'f*ck'- and yea, I can pronounce asterisks :p
He spent a week consuming litres of his own sperm ! He's now fitter, stronger and expecting twins.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
not wanting to get any names wrong (@Gary ), today ill just say I went on my bike in the garden and screwed a load of pallets together to make a larger, heavier pallet.... :p
That my friend is what younger park riders would call a "fun box" look it up (on ramp building sites rather than urban dictionary)
Box fun has been kinda sparse over the last week or so here.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Apparently the thing I saw on TV was called celebrity bake off.

That's lucky. I thought you'd be watching Master Baker.

What the hell is Celebrity bake off ?

This is the apocalypse ..

Is there no imagination .. we have 100,000 grounded planes .. why not Celebrity Take Off ? The week before, the audience votes for 200 of their least favourite celebrity's and they're randomly loaded onto the planes (2m apart of course, we don't want to take any risks).

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
right serious question for anyone that can help - @Gary ?

ive done that big jump loads now but these things are still going wrong /bothering me / etc

1. ill come back to it a day after doing it and its like ive never done it before and its scary, takes a good 5-10 jumps before I feel like im not going to die
2. no matter what I do I always seem to go a little sideways, sometimes a lot sideways, this is even when im not pulling up, my feet are level and im going straight at the ramp
3. if I do try to pull like i do on the smaller ramps it always goes wrong and ill be in fear of my life, ill tilt, drift sideways, feel like im going to fall backwards down the ramp etc

I can just ride towards the ramp and at the right speed just keep my weight forwards at the top of the ramp and then just let the bike do the work but I dont feel like that will take me any further..
I know ill go out there tomorrow, hit the ramp and shit my pants again and while im really enjoying jumping, im not enjoying that part... help!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Looking forward to the answers here. Sorry I can't help you. I concentrate on trying to keep my wheels on the ground..(due to bad experiences)
But seriously, I think I'll unsubscribe now. I mean you made the landing wider. The only reason we have been watching is hoping for a good crash!!!

Naaa. keep safe. I'm enjoying the series. My only completely unqualified comment is that each time you go over the jump it looks like the bike is bucking you forward a bit. Have you tried playing with your suspension, maybe adding a bit more preasure in the rear and / or slowing the rebound so you don't get thrown forwards?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I've run it through my Freud analyser and it suggests that you're possibly avoiding asking yourself what you really want and avoiding your fears by subconsciously diverting your efforts to fabricating a massive den to hide in.
Maybe he is preparing an Isolation Box just in case. Check out the Colin Furze video I linked, there are a few good tips there. ;-)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
1. ill come back to it a day after doing it and its like ive never done it before and its scary, takes a good 5-10 jumps before I feel like im not going to die
sounds perfectly normal for a beginner TBH. You simply don't have technique sorted and don't have consistency to what technique you do have. so not only do you have bad habits. you don't even actually know what they are yet. Ideally you want to get to the point you're not having to think about anything and muscle memory takes over. eventually with most of that BAD technique will naturally be gone.
practice makes perfect n aw that.

2. no matter what I do I always seem to go a little sideways, sometimes a lot sideways, this is even when im not pulling up, my feet are level and im going straight at the ramp
see my answer to point 1 above..
what will help with this is good balance and body positioning in the first place. - Don't worry though. this will come by simply riding more. low speed riding helps more than high speed.
What will also help is pre-planning and visualisation. ie. properly thinking about what are you attempting to do and how exactly you are going to go about achieving it?
at the moment you're just rocking up pedalling at the ramp and hoping for the best. am I right? (it's ok. I know I am ;) )

3. if I do try to pull like i do on the smaller ramps it always goes wrong and ill be in fear of my life, ill tilt, drift sideways, feel like im going to fall backwards down the ramp etc
You're trying to teach yourself FAR TOO MUCH at the same time, constantly building new ramps with different lengths, heights, radius' etc. is simply overloading your learning capability... and TBH it's doing my head in trying to keep up offering advice when you won't actually stick at learning one thing before moving on to something new. Especially when you haven't really listened to the advice I've given previously. It's great you're doing this. But try to ignore all the praise you're getting from folk who don't actually have a clue what they're praising. VLOGing is IMO actually detrimental to your progression. You're spending way more time and effort building "entertaining" ramps for content than you're putting in to actually jumping.
eg. You shouldn't be pulling at all. like I told you pages back. ;)

Go back to basics. planning, aproach speed, good positioning. looking ahead etc. pedalling towards the ramp with a fixed idea of where you'll stop pedalling and the body position you need to adopt , where you'll be looking and when you'll need to apply preload. How this will affect your take off, trajectory and body positioning, when you'll need to spot your landing, when and how you'll land and how you'll absorb the landing to be as smooth as possible.

don't worry about going backwards. it can be a kinda one step forwards, two steps back dynamic to get there. Especially at our age. ;)

Now don't take what I'm about to say too harshly
You've built yourself a fun box!
You didn't even know its name. Nevermind what a fun box is actually for.
it's a skate park jump designed intentionally with a steep lip to give riders the oportunity to get good height, a flat top and longer mellower landing to allow riders to practice tricks in relative safety. Thing is, you've not advanced enough for a fun box to be all that much use to you (yet). and TBH you should ideally be on a fully rigid bike (BMX) or at least a hardtail rather than a 50lb 150mm travel Emtb to get the most from it.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
sounds perfectly normal for a beginner TBH. You simply don't have technique sorted and don't have consistency to what technique you do have. so not only do you have bad habits. you don't even actually know what they are yet. Ideally you want to get to the point you're not having to think about anything and muscle memory takes over. eventually with most of that BAD technique will naturally be gone.
practice makes perfect n aw that.

see my answer to point 1 above..
what will help with this is good balance and body positioning in the first place. - Don't worry though. this will come by simply riding more. low speed riding helps more than high speed.
What will also help is pre-planning and visualisation. ie. properly thinking about what are you attempting to do and how exactly you are going to go about achieving it?
at the moment you're just rocking up pedalling at the ramp and hoping for the best. am I right? (it's ok. I know I am ;) )

You're trying to teach yourself FAR TOO MUCH at the same time, constantly building new ramps with different lengths, heights, radius' etc. is simply overloading your learning capability... and TBH it's doing my head in trying to keep up offering advice when you won't actually stick at learning one thing before moving on to something new. Especially when you haven't really listened to the advice I've given previously. It's great you're doing this. But try to ignore all the praise you're getting from folk who don't actually have a clue what they're praising. VLOGing is IMO actually detrimental to your progression. You're spending way more time and effort building "entertaining" ramps for content than you're putting in to actually jumping.
eg. You shouldn't be pulling at all. like I told you pages back. ;)

Go back to basics. planning, aproach speed, good positioning. looking ahead etc. pedalling towards the ramp with a fixed idea of where you'll stop pedalling and the body position you need to adopt , where you'll be looking and when you'll need to apply preload. How this will affect your take off, trajectory and body positioning, when you'll need to spot your landing, when and how you'll land and how you'll absorb the landing to be as smooth as possible.

don't worry about going backwards. it can be a kinda one step forwards, two steps back dynamic to get there. Especially at our age. ;)

Now don't take what I'm about to say too harshly
You've built yourself a fun box!
You didn't even know its name. Nevermind what a fun box is actually for.
it's a skate park jump designed intentionally with a steep lip to give riders the oportunity to get good height, a flat top and longer mellower landing to allow riders to practice tricks in relative safety. Thing is, you've not advanced enough for a fun box to be all that much use to you (yet). and TBH you should ideally be on a fully rigid bike (BMX) or at least a hardtail rather than a 50lb 150mm travel Emtb to get the most from it.

cheers mate, before I saw this I decided that all I needed to do was hit the same jump over and over - practise !!!
so thats what I did today and it made a big difference, I also got sam to video me in slo mo and its easy to see where im going wrong and I was able to make those changes...
the ramp isnt terrifying anymore, I feel I can hit it over and over without fear of crashing and its a bit like rugby - the more you do it, the more 'time' you have.. I now feel like when im in the air that I have more options, even if I cant react to it, I feel it when Ive landed and then I notice it the next jump, just like sports.. more practise, more time..
im making the video now and hopefully youll see some progress.. im going to keep this up until I can 'do it in my sleep' I think and then look for progress..
the thing that made a big difference was slowing down the rebound even more, I had already done it and @Akiwi suggested it above, I tried a few more clicks and it was way more predictable off the lip...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
its a bit like rugby - the more you do it, the more 'time' you have..
As with most things, yeah.

I looked back at page one and you have definitely progressed. But not hugely considering that was 6? weeks back. Had you practiced more at that stage I'd honestly have expected you to have progressed quicker.
just ride moar. ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
the thing that made a big difference was slowing down the rebound even more, I had already done it and @Akiwi suggested it above, I tried a few more clicks and it was way more predictable off the lip...

Have you considered locking out your rear suspension completely?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
today I repaired a ukulele and practised jumping, its the only time I didnt think I could die.. towards the end of today I did spend a little time seeing if I could go slower and pop it a little but only after I was really comfortable with the ramp.. a good day

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Only watched it with the sound off ..
But,
Every credit Dobby, that first person view is shitty pants scary !!!! :)

Your last few runs you looked like you were starting to take control in the air. You hit the "calm" point where everything finally goes slow and you can adapt rather than it feeling "flat out" and you're just clinging on.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Only watched it with the sound off ..
But,
Every credit Dobby, that first person view is shitty pants scary !!!! :)

Your last few runs you looked like you were starting to take control in the air. You hit the "calm" point where everything finally goes slow and you can adapt rather than it feeling "flat out" and you're just clinging on.

yea ill agree with you, its scary! but im actually used to it now, by the end of today I was quite comfortable with it. the last few were a test to see if slower speed and a bit of a pull would be a different jump and it was, felt great on the take off and yea, had that moment of 'stall' in the air but overall, not as nice as just unweighting the bike on the lip but thats probably just my technique...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles