Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Also, does anyone know the post length of the Command Wu that comes on the Medium 2019 Kenevo? He is of course hoping that the 150mm Brand X fits flush into the frame.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Also, does anyone know the post length of the Command Wu that comes on the Medium 2019 Kenevo? He is of course hoping that the 150mm Brand X fits flush into the frame.
I have the same bike with a 34.9 x 150 Reverb AXS and that only just fits. The easiest of all installations, long maintenance intervals & a solid feel (y)

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
I have the same bike with a 34.9 x 150 Reverb AXS and that only just fits. The easiest of all installations, long maintenance intervals & a solid feel (y)
Thanks for the info. It seems the Brand X is 40mm longer than the AXS, so it might protrude a bit, which would make it a nogo. The AXS looks great but the price puts it out of reach.

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
O-ring question.
hi guys - rookie-mistake no. 1 :-( , took shock, rear swing-arm and every moving parts apart for new bearings and re-grease for the season. this was 4 weeks ago - and now with nice weather I assembled today, and now have this one leftover, rubber-sealing/oring 14mm inside 19 mm outside, and cant seem to see where it fit ? WHY cant we have exploded views like when you have your manual for a motorcycle/motocross-bike ? anyone know if its possible to get these exploded views - and have an idea where i have missed this O-ring :)
thx
Allan
1583601974248.png

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
Question with those out there on the 1st gen 2018/2019 Kenevo. My Dad is looking to upgrade his dropper post from the strange tilty stock thing to a 150mm Brand X (he’s on a medium frame).

Anybody done this?

The brand x only comes in 31.6mm. From looking online it seems that the Kenevo is 34.9. Is he fine to run a dropper with a shim?

How easy is the installation of droppers on this model Kenevo. Can all internal cabling be accessed without dropping the motor?

Hi Tbar. How long has he used it ? First thing I thought when riding my Kenevo, was the odd feeling from the dropper, and I thought it was hopeless and wanted to change it as soon as possible.
but - I got used to it, and now I will not live without it - because it is SO damn fast getting both down, but especially up again, and this is very good and helpfull riding technical things, and short drops and uphill immediately after. just my thoughts on it :)
best regards
Allan

Tbar

Aug 18, 2019
Germany
Hi Tbar. How long has he used it ? First thing I thought when riding my Kenevo, was the odd feeling from the dropper, and I thought it was hopeless and wanted to change it as soon as possible.
but - I got used to it, and now I will not live without it - because it is SO damn fast getting both down, but especially up again, and this is very good and helpfull riding technical things, and short drops and uphill immediately after. just my thoughts on it :)
best regards
Allan

He’s had it since the 2019s came out. Has a lot of miles on it and it’s never missed a beat from a reliability standpoint. But it just does not drop down low enough. The mechanism means it stands quite high above the collar and with the raised saddle nose from the tilt he finds it a bit of a hindrance on the downhills.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
O-ring question.
hi guys - rookie-mistake no. 1 :-( , took shock, rear swing-arm and every moving parts apart for new bearings and re-grease for the season. this was 4 weeks ago - and now with nice weather I assembled today, and now have this one leftover, rubber-sealing/oring 14mm inside 19 mm outside, and cant seem to see where it fit ? WHY cant we have exploded views like when you have your manual for a motorcycle/motocross-bike ? anyone know if its possible to get these exploded views - and have an idea where i have missed this O-ring :)
thx
Allan
View attachment 27093
Looks like the top of the rear shock eyelet

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Ha
That's what you said 6 months ago when someone else did the same thing... I was tempted to sound knowledgeable and say the same and steal the credit ?
Haha did I? I barely remember what I said yesterday! You can take credit for my wisdom, saves me from typing it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So birthday came and went and I was finally presented with MY disks, spacers and front brake !

Due to a combination of "lockdown" - not being able to ride in public and fractured ribs - hurts to ride there wasn't much impetus to fit them ...

Finally got round to it and checked the original disks compared to the Shimano's .

The Original SRAM centerlines measure in at 198, not 200. The Shimano's measure in at 203.

I guess this is why people have an issue spacing out with 1.5mm of extra washers.

Crap photo angle so doesnt' show the actual 5-6mm difference very well.

shimano.jpg

All swapped over easily and the new shimano spacers make it easy.

The ice tech rotors both are slightly untrue and I spent hours trying to get the rear right and eventually gave up. Once ridden and bedded in, they seem fine - so maybe do that first if you change them.

And on other news .. Fractured front ribs, hurts like a pig to breath sometimes, but you can ride the bike and just not be too stupid .. Fractured back ribs, doesn't hurt too much to breath but hurts like an absolute b1tch to ride - as when you pull, it's agony ! MERD ! Still .. bedding in was mainly pushing .. not pulling ! :)

For me the Zee's are a world apart from the Code R's, but everyone has their own preferences.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
And on other news .. Fractured front ribs, hurts like a pig to breath sometimes, but you can ride the bike and just not be too stupid .. Fractured back ribs, doesn't hurt too much to breath but hurts like an absolute b1tch to ride - as when you pull, it's agony ! MERD ! Still .. bedding in was mainly pushing .. not pulling ! :)
Mr Evo Kenevo is that a fresh one? What happened?? I think you need some bedding in - at least for maybe a week maybe another to give your bones a chance to magically heal like all the others. I know - that's more painful than the actual pain. Guéris pronto.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Yes, Last week. Embarrassingly, it wasn't bike caused ! o_O Overly excited locked down horse did a bit of Bruce Lee on me and I lost ! :cry::LOL:
Surprising definitely. Embarrassing definitely not though losing a horse altercation is scientifically proven to be the most painful way to increase your cool factor.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
The Original SRAM centerlines measure in at 198, not 200. The Shimano's measure in at 203.
I didn't believe this so measured mine. They are 200mm. You have measured the narrower part of the diss which is indeed 198mm.
That or Europeans have smaller discs. Yes I did say DISCS :)

aw113sgte

Jul 15, 2018
La Crosse, WI
I have a 2018 and it's been a long time since I've been on here. I stayed on an old firmware because it allowed me to change wheel diameter (I think that's what it was) so I didn't run into the "high speed" limiter. The newer firmware no one had figured out how to get around the limit. Is this still the case? I ride on the road a decent amount and the stock speed limit was quite irritating.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have a 2018 and it's been a long time since I've been on here. I stayed on an old firmware because it allowed me to change wheel diameter (I think that's what it was) so I didn't run into the "high speed" limiter. The newer firmware no one had figured out how to get around the limit. Is this still the case? I ride on the road a decent amount and the stock speed limit was quite irritating.
It's only the 2.1 motor bikes which have the wheel size locked down. So you should be fine.

Bioni

Mar 30, 2020
Norway
1E63902C-5032-4D37-991D-E0ADC45AB06A.jpeg
First ride on my new 2019 Kenevo.
Wet, muddy and slippery, but very fun!

Motor feels very powerful and plenty for me, and very quiet , i couldn’t hear it.

On these tecky trails the bike felt a bit big and heavy, so took much more effort to do endo and manuals. But after a few more rides that will probably become second nature again.

Sometimes i felt the bike wanting to get away from me, so I felt i lost control of it.
So I’m going to play around in the app and tweak the power output for when i ride these types of trails. Then again, it might be ok after riding it a few times ?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
View attachment 28621 First ride on my new 2019 Kenevo.
Wet, muddy and slippery, but very fun!

Motor feels very powerful and plenty for me, and very quiet , i couldn’t hear it.

On these tecky trails the bike felt a bit big and heavy, so took much more effort to do endo and manuals. But after a few more rides that will probably become second nature again.

Sometimes i felt the bike wanting to get away from me, so I felt i lost control of it.
So I’m going to play around in the app and tweak the power output for when i ride these types of trails. Then again, it might be ok after riding it a few times ?
It is a lot of bike and it also took me a good 3 to 4 rides to get used to the weight. Now in comparison to my current bike it feels very nimble and light.
Give it a few rides and you will be throwing it around like a pro.

JayOwen1982

May 14, 2019
Stoke on trent
Bike would not engage motor today battery was fine on blevo app but could not find the motor, decided to remove crank and case to check wires inside I noticed the power cable into the motor was loose, pulled the tab down to pull the plug out and was left with a broken plug this it's corroded
IMG-20200410-WA0004.jpeg
anyone else come across this

IMG-20200410-WA0003.jpeg

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Bike would not engage motor today battery was fine on blevo app but could not find the motor, decided to remove crank and case to check wires inside I noticed the power cable into the motor was loose, pulled the tab down to pull the plug out and was left with a broken plug this it's corroded View attachment 28650 anyone else come across this

View attachment 28651
I have had warranty replacements 2x times on that harness. Not that exact failure, but at the charge port. The sockets would deform and lose connectivity. Overall, bad design IMO not meant for the number of cycles we put them through.

Good news is any reputable spesh dealer will warranty it for you

Shimanomike

Jan 6, 2019
Paris, Tn
A couple of other threads on 220mm's for anyone reading this and curious about adapters and different fork/caliper compatibility ..

Bigger is better!!! - EMTB Forums

SRAM 220mm Rotor - EMTB Forums

Hope do the 225's, but it's difficult finding a correct adapter.

For the 180 fork to a 220 rotor, magura also do an adapter, the QM 45, which is only about €8 compared to about €20 for the avid 40mm adapter . Not that you probably care when you're possibly spending a fortune on brakes, but it's the principle ! :)

Magura QM 45 Brake Disc Adapter | Disc Adaptors Shop
So i ordered the 203mm magura rotors and they sent the 220's. i was going to send them back and the i thought why not just get adapters. So i see this adapter is for the front so do you know which adapter i need for the rear? I have the magura mt7 brakes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So i ordered the 203mm magura rotors and they sent the 220's. i was going to send them back and the i thought why not just get adapters. So i see this adapter is for the front so do you know which adapter i need for the rear? I have the magura mt7 brakes.
I believe the same adapter will work for the front or the rear. The standard 180-200 sram mounts are the same front and back and the 180-203 shimano mounts are the same front and back, it just gives +40mm as opposed to +20 or +23

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I have had warranty replacements 2x times on that harness. Not that exact failure, but at the charge port. The sockets would deform and lose connectivity. Overall, bad design IMO not meant for the number of cycles we put them through.

Good news is any reputable spesh dealer will warranty it for you
I agree My motor would not engage the other day. I thought it was connection from remote, since remote didn’t do anything, so cleaned up that connection. Didn‘t help. Then tried to reset the battery by pressing and holding on button for 30 secs. It worked after this but I think it was the connection, which was perfectly dry and clean, but just wasn‘t connecting properly. Bosch system so much better - battery just clicks in - no need for a connector that can get dirty, wet or distort.

JayOwen1982

May 14, 2019
Stoke on trent
Iam hoping mine will work better after this power cable replacement had a few times where came to turn bike on and nothing from motor I think/hoping its always been a dodgy connection inside the plug after seeing the state of it

Damon805

Apr 15, 2020
West Sacramento, California
Greetings fellow Kenovillians,
I’ve recently ordered a 2019 Expert in black online from a Northern California bike shop chain. The purchase was at the top of my budget but the sale was ridiculous and I couldn’t pass. I’m beyond excited to take delivery and I’m learning a wealth of knowledge on the forum in the meantime. Can’t wait to get on it and burn Some trails. Cheers! -Damon

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Greetings fellow Kenovillians,
I’ve recently ordered a 2019 Expert in black online from a Northern California bike shop chain. The purchase was at the top of my budget but the sale was ridiculous and I couldn’t pass. I’m beyond excited to take delivery and I’m learning a wealth of knowledge on the forum in the meantime. Can’t wait to get on it and burn Some trails. Cheers! -Damon

Congrats!!! I’ve got the 2018 (same) and it’s the funnest bike I’ve had in forever! 2020’s don’t do it for me. I’ll be rocking mine into the ground! Enjoy!!!

Robbo746

Jan 23, 2020
Coolum Beach Australia
Hi all. Picked up a 2019 Kenevo expert a week ago. What a weapon.

Was not sold on the first ride, mainly due to old firmware so not allowing power changes per mode, and some suspension set up issues causing the front to push.

But 6 rides on, I love it. Suspension is ridiculous. I upgraded the rear spring to a 640 before 1st ride to make sure it was balanced straight up. Yes its a bit slower through single track, but when it comes to bombing rock gardens, bigger drops etc it is just an amazing rig. Could not be happier with it.

Its nice to have a bike that I'm not thinking about upgrades on. Brakes are good, fork and shock are amazing, motor is superb (coming from 70nm E8000 to 90nm Brose is a big improvement for me at 95kg).

I'm rapt!!!

IMG_5344.jpg

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Seeing as this year is likely a right off for uplift days, I can't see my DH bike getting any use at all. Fortunately with the kenevo and 2 batteries I can self uplift at a lot of places!
IMG_20200424_150922.jpg

I also have an itch to scratch by trying dual crowns. In steps the solid strike DH bike!
IMG_20200424_151017.jpg

So I have everything I need bar a 1.5 to 1 1/8 headset fork adaptor to try this out.
Could get costly if I want it to stay like that though, will need to buy some boxxers and get my expense santacruz reserve wheel rehubbed to 20mm.
Will update once I've ordered the bit I need ?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles