Norco's new Sight VLT 29er

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I really like what Norco are doing with their bikes at the moment, and not just their EMTB'S their whole range is killing it right now

Santa

Oct 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
I think it’s more a Trek Rail killer. But why such a long chainstay? And did you see how steep that seat tube is?

Also, check out their killer builds. Looking at the C2 (which is cheaper than the Rail 9.7), you get
- XT brakes (!!!!)
- REAL tires (DHR/DHF with DD casing)
- Lyric fork
- Super Deluxe shock
- XT drivetrain
- Range extender capability.

Very curious to try.

Last edited:

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Expand on how the sight is a levo clone?

Levo - Expensive with terrible spec
Sight - Good value with solid spec

Only similarity is 29" wheels & the battery range expansion.

Geometrical clone ... well the rear suspension at least is different. I might be wrong i don’t know the exact measurements but highly suspect which are ...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
By the same standards you could say the current Levo is a clone of the Commencal Meta 29, Focus Jam 29'r and the various 150mm travel 29'r Mondraker's , not to mention multiple other brands that where on the market for a couple of years before the 29'r Levo.

29'r EMTB trail bikes have been around for a lot longer than the 29'r Levo, which has pretty conservative geometry and very different suspension kinematics to most of the other bikes on the market. It only in the last couple of years that we have seen 29'r wheels become the dominant wheel size on a lot of new bikes.

The great thing is that there are now a lot of options for people to look at and find a bike that's fits them and their riding

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
By the same standards you could say the current Levo is a clone of the Commencal Meta 29, Focus Jam 29'r and the various 150mm travel 29'r Mondraker's , not to mention multiple other brands that where on the market for a couple of years before the 29'r Levo.

29'r EMTB trail bikes have been around for a lot longer than the 29'r Levo, which has pretty conservative geometry and very different suspension kinematics to most of the other bikes on the market. It only in the last couple of years that we have seen 29'r wheels become the dominant wheel size on a lot of new bikes.

The great thing is that there are now a lot of options for people to look at and find a bike that's fits them and their riding

Youre right but once Spe do some ... it’s like nobody has done before

is great because Norco already has a proper 27.5 ebike, but not all the brands do that. To me the new Santa Cruz was good news they keep with the 27.5. Remember I’m not against the 29ers I’m against the killer standars!

Ok enough off topic from my side, let’s talk about the ebike itself

Wilster

Feb 9, 2020
Canada
Just picked up my new Sight VLT 29 C2. Now praying the snow will melt so I can go put this beast through it’s paces.

F01F3218-7FFE-4690-BA48-3AFC3D2195AC.jpeg

WildGuy

Mar 12, 2020
Cyprus
This is a game changer, 630 battery plus you can add a range extender.
Frame looks really clean & tidy, spec is solid.
Definitely on my short list.

And maybe a game ender in a few years time when you need a replacement battery. Same goes for YT Decoy and all other brands who use Shimano motor but have the Chinese knock them up a proprietary battery to fit a particular year model. My worry would be that once we're a few models down the line these forgotten batteries produced in tiny quantities for a small bike maker will be impossible to get hold of - still, would provide a great excuse to upgrade to the newest machine!

Wilster

Feb 9, 2020
Canada
And maybe a game ender in a few years time when you need a replacement battery. Same goes for YT Decoy and all other brands who use Shimano motor but have the Chinese knock them up a proprietary battery to fit a particular year model. My worry would be that once we're a few models down the line these forgotten batteries produced in tiny quantities for a small bike maker will be impossible to get hold of - still, would provide a great excuse to upgrade to the newest machine!
Norco are part of Live to play Sports, one of Canada's largest distributer of bikes and accessories, maybe not Trek or Spec size, but still a pretty big company in Canada and of one the leading bike brands in North America.

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand

Good point.

Went into my LSB yesterday asking about the new Sight VLT, the shop owner loosely said the same thing, Norco have used a non shimano battery..
Then he leaned in a little closer and said quietly, “Buy the Trek Rail instead”

WildGuy

Mar 12, 2020
Cyprus
Perhaps we can deduce his profit margin is higher on the Trek Rail then? Still, think I'd have preferred him not to lean in a little closer to offer this advice all the same, just in the current climate

Number29_NZ

Feb 16, 2020
New Zealand
Just picked up my new Sight VLT 29 C2. Now praying the snow will melt so I can go put this beast through it’s paces.

View attachment 27565

Just got a C2 myself.
does your rear cluster / rear mech make a clicking noise in the biggest chain (51T) ring when under load?
My bike is 3 rides old, and has developed a clicking noise in the cluster / rear mech, been trying to fault find it, i've reduced tension on the clutch with no luck.

Any ideas?

Steven_Bikes

Mar 20, 2018
San Diego, CA
Insane. Well done on those upgrades. This one was on my shortlist last year, but unfortunately I never got to demo one. How's it's descending capability?
It’s been a dream! I have a 2018 Transition Sentinel and the travel and geo numbers are pretty close so there wasn’t much I had to get use to. The Sight is more stable and that’s probably due to the weight and longer chainstay.

Steven_Bikes

Mar 20, 2018
San Diego, CA
Hi Steven
Sweet bike! I have the Sight VLT also and I’ll been thinking of getting a coil shock as well. What are you’re experience with it?
It has been a game changer for me! I went with the Marzocchi Bomber CR and a Cane Creek progressive coil 550lb-670lb. I’m at 165lbs with gear on and it has been perfect for me. I did go up in spring weight by 25lbs over what is recommended because I prefer a stiffer riding bike but still want the off the top suppleness of the coil feel if that makes sense.

The disadvantage of coil for the Sight VLT 29er will be the the max rider weight due to the leverage ratio of the shock and the added weight of the ebike. I don’t think there’s a heavier progressive spring available so you will be limited on option if you weight more than 170lbs. With an air shock you can add more air. Although I was pretty close to max air pressure on the stock shock with a megneg can at 285psi. Again I do prefer a firmer rear shock for those big hits.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles