32B60F1F-5D2C-49BC-AFB8-29EB3F2E6347.jpeg

D29FBA9F-7A8A-4611-8B42-DAE4247EEC64.jpeg

AD64409F-2FCA-414D-8834-104A042F11CE.jpeg

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Cant wait to get your impressions on the Giant Tuned Pwx2 motor compared to the Haibike powered Pwx2. Is there anything between them?

Also, the tranxXeP1, is not spec'd with a shimamo HG+ chain. Curious to hear your impressions of the shifting, compared to bikes fitted with the shimano chain.

I have this same bike-- tranXe-- and have pretty much gone gaga ? over it.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Also, the tranxXeP1, is not spec'd with a shimamo HG+ chain. Curious to hear your impressions of the shifting, compared to bikes fitted with the shimano chain.
Weird that bike brands do this. There’s a few out there that supposedly should have correct HG+ hardware but they’re not using compatible drivetrain equipment.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Weird that bike brands do this. There’s a few out there that supposedly should have correct HG+ hardware but they’re not using compatible drivetrain equipment.
Yes. Test and see. Mine shifts magnificently with an (Other than Shimano) chain, and I'm curious if you think a proper chain is even better?

Last edited:

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I have a 2020 E+1 Pro. This looks like a great replacement with plenty of development in the right places.

It points out the imperfections in my bike.....like way better battery cover, 625w, 29s, cool paint job...etc etc........annoyingly

Happy to lend mine for a comparison shoot

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Love the new cable routing. I am going to look at how hard it would be to make that work on my own MY20 as the cable routing is garbage and causes shifting and wiring issues. Good to see GIANT solution. Id love to see the battery contact plate if you woudnt mind?

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
A friend just got an E+Pro and I got to demo it on the locals the other day. His first ride he had ridden into a clay zone and clogged up the works behind the seat tube pretty well....cleaned that out and rode in our local slop and it wasn't too bad.

I ride a steel hardtail with 80mm of circa 1990 front suspension so it felt fairly plush but I weigh more than him and never got the forks past half tube so it needs to be set up better. The motor is quite quiet and plenty torquey as long as you kept the cadence up. Tried the "auto" mode and couldn't get much love going for that feature. It felt sluggish on the flat but did kick in more when headed up. The PAS reaction time is quick and one had better be ready for moving forward when you start to pedal....not a bad feature just one to be aware of.

It's a bit of a tank however and not much fun to push uphill. There may be a walk assist but I didn't get into the manual other than how to set auto mode. But on the upside it has great traction so I was able to make all but one of the up's at least. Also it was a large and I would probably be better off on a medium but the dropper helped.

I'll be interested in your take on the platform.

Bike wash.jpg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Love the new cable routing. I am going to look at how hard it would be to make that work on my own MY20 as the cable routing is garbage and causes shifting and wiring issues. Good to see GIANT solution. Id love to see the battery contact plate if you woudnt mind?

Here is the TranXe battery contact plate.
20201026_115941.jpg

Just had to change the shifter cable and jacket on my trance19 for the 3rd time. As soon as it gets any drag at all, the shifting goes to hell in a handbasket, even with a 10 speed.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Here is the TranXe battery contact plate.
View attachment 47609

Just had to change the shifter cable and jacket on my trance19 for the 3rd time. As soon as it gets any drag at all, the shifting goes to hell in a handbasket, even with a 10 speed.

Thanks, no real change there then. Thought there might be some different moisture management To see.

same issue with my 20 on the shifter, sick of changing mine.
Routed it differently this time, sent it alongside the cover close to the crank instead of directly over the motor. It’s taken about 30 degrees off the worst angle.

Might help.
Stupid little issues these bikes have.... who thought that cable routing was acceptable? ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Thanks, no real change there then. Thought there might be some different moisture management To see.

Routed it differently this time, sent it alongside the cover close to the crank instead of directly over the motor. It’s taken about 30 degrees off the worst angle.

Might help.
Stupid little issues these bikes have.... who thought that cable routing was acceptable? ?
Mine goes under the motor on the trance19. It still sucks, and takes every mm of the 2100mm cables I buy. New world hurts I guess.

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
Are you thinking about replacing it by something lighter ?

And what about the whole bike, did you check how much it weights ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Are you thinking about replacing it by something lighter ?

And what about the whole bike, did you check how much it weights ?
No, not considering a change, but I had it out and thought dam, this thing is stupid heavy.

Not weighed the bike yet.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Probably still ongoing. He seems to like to ride them several times over a period of time and mix them up with others. I guess that gives you a better overall idea what the bike is really like.

Must be difficult if you only get to ride once as you might not be in the zone that day.

Plus there's filming time, editing.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

Might help.

The battery cover, lower frame and under-motor cover looks a chunk better than the 2020 bikes, I was having a good look over the '21 bike in my LBS. Whether the wiring is any better in terms of being waterproof remains to be seen, but there is definitely MUCH more space around the motor for wiring and connectors. I was considering re-routing the shift cable on mine, but after some shifting issues with, I assume, ice forming in the cable I might swap the rear mech for an AXS and bypass the problem, along with a wireless dropper, because my current dropper is getting worse for wear now anyway.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My local Giant Dealer ordered me a 32T CR for my TranXeP1
What they delivered is a Wolf Tooth Drop-Stop ST.
The ST part signifies, Shimano HG+ Chain Compatibility ONLY (?).

1610297339964.png

Looks like even the Giant dealers are unaware of what chain is on the bike, and how the CR effects compatibility.
This does not surprise me.

Does anybody know what would happen, if I leave the OEM KMC chain on the bike, and install the Wolf Tooth Drop-Stop ST Chainring provided by my Giant dealer for it (Trance X E+ Pro-1)?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Would be interesting to know how it compares to the 27.5 trance it replaces or even the slacker reign.
Opinions.
I'm a bit of a dork, ride mostly tight single track deer trails, almost never peddle above 20 mph.

I own both a TranxeP1 and a Trance19P1 currently, and ride each equally.

The TranXeP1 is a better bike than the trance19 in every way I can measure.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
The battery cover, lower frame and under-motor cover looks a chunk better than the 2020 bikes, I was having a good look over the '21 bike in my LBS. Whether the wiring is any better in terms of being waterproof remains to be seen, but there is definitely MUCH more space around the motor for wiring and connectors. I was considering re-routing the shift cable on mine, but after some shifting issues with, I assume, ice forming in the cable I might swap the rear mech for an AXS and bypass the problem, along with a wireless dropper, because my current dropper is getting worse for wear now anyway.

I would love to know how you get on with that. Just reading your idea has almost cost me money!!

Mine is coming apart tomorrow for new wheel bearings, pawls and springs and I am going to try the 2018 service kit for size in a 2020 dropper.

Not had one apart so no idea what I will find, but mine spins about 30degrees each way now.

Why wouldn’t it? It must be almost 6 months old after all. ?‍♂️

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I would love to know how you get on with that. Just reading your idea has almost cost me money!!

Mine is coming apart tomorrow for new wheel bearings, pawls and springs and I am going to try the 2018 service kit for size in a 2020 dropper.

Not had one apart so no idea what I will find, but mine spins about 30degrees each way now.

Why wouldn’t it? It must be almost 6 months old after all. ?‍♂️
Crikey, my dropper isn't THAT bad. It's wearing on the stem where it's been up and down covered in grit. I have read that they sometimes suffer from radial play.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’ve seen on Strava you’ve ridden it........you cannot hide. Is it good?
Liking it! Suspension is very good, Maestro works very very well.

Feels quite small, need to change bars and stem as it’s a sample bike arrived with 65mm stem and 760mm bars! Maybe remove the Assegai and swap for something better for the mud we’ve got at the moment.

Yamaha motor is very very good. Not totally blown away by the auto mode though, gives some strange surges of power and it didn’t feel like it was consistent - sometimes it’d power up quickly other times would take a couple of crank spins. So ended up using regular modes which seem to work well.

Chain stay pretty long feels a bit more effort to move around than some of the competition

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles