I did an eco test on my GIANT Stance today

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
And was very surprised with the results.

I did 38 miles in eco. A lot of climbs, on road and off road. I lost 1 bar of energy all ride. I got back with 4 energy bars and 63% battery left. I was out for 4h and 17m.

I spent about 99% of the ride in eco.

I lost my first bar of energy after doing 22.45 miles. You're looking at about 112 miles if you kept it in eco the whole way (what the diagram says on the GIANT website.)

I was incredibly shocked by how long it lasted. I kept looking down at my bars to see if they'd moved but they hadn't. The bike performed pretty monstrous for a 24 kilo bike. Much better than my DH bike.

Turbo & trail really blitz your battery. Eco is like an honest housewife, she'll be with you till the end.

This is for those interested/wondering how eco is = very good ??

Video link to the route:

PSX_20210527_010740.jpg

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
A colleague borrowed my bike and got 100km out of the 400wh battery in Eco.

I have started to ride solely on "2 dots" (Eco+?). I've found it gives me a good balance between assistance and effort required.

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales

I have started to ride solely on "2 dots" (Eco+?). I've found it gives me a good balance between assistance and effort required.
For sure. I think turbo and that is a luxury.

Yeah it seems like a nice balance for road use. I'm gonna experiment with all the different modes if I can. It would be good if giant had an app where it said: ride 50 miles in eco (unlock an achievement) do 50 metres of wheelies etc that'd be quite fun lol

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
I went to Afan on Monday with my 2019 Trance e+2 with 500wh hour battery and did W2 with Penhydd mid way plus Blade at the end. According to the trail guide it comes out at 75.6km distance and 1848m climbing, my bike computer made it 51 miles though which is about 4 miles extra, a couple of sections were closed with diversions so maybe that added a bit more (or more likely my bike computer is slightly out). I did it on eco tuned down to the lowest 50% assist. Turned it up to eco at 75% assist halfway through as was getting tired and battered (seems more rocky there than I remember it from years ago). I wasn’t going to do Blade at the end but as I had 31% battery left I thought I had enough left to do it. I was wrong! Battery died (as did I!) at 46 miles. Luckily I was at the top of Blade so it was (mostly) downhill the rest of the way. It was very impressive range, but I would have preferred the battery to last the whole way and it would have been more fun on eco+ which I have at 125% but I knew it wouldn’t last that far. I was on the bike for about 7 hours, far too long in hindsight, am still sore in unmentionable places today...

One big downside was the amount of pedal strikes, sooooo many, i also bottomed out when I miscalculated a couple of drop offs as well. Despite being lucky-ish with the weather there were some monster puddles and the motor got completely submerged a few times which also caused me anxiety. A good day out though, but next time I won’t go as far and I will have a higher assistance level! Bring on the 1000wh batteries I say!

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
that's epic mate, well done! I'm doing a sportive (well the half distance) of 92km on my eMTB, I've tried out all parts of the route (including approx 2km of climbing) in eco on my giant fathom, and I reckon I'll easily get around with some battery to spare. I've just swapped out my knobblies for some semi slick touring tyres, so that should make it easier to keep above 25kpm on the flats to save more battery.

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
that's epic mate, well done! I'm doing a sportive (well the half distance) of 92km on my eMTB, I've tried out all parts of the route (including approx 2km of climbing) in eco on my giant fathom, and I reckon I'll easily get around with some battery to spare. I've just swapped out my knobblies for some semi slick touring tyres, so that should make it easier to keep above 25kpm on the flats to save more battery.
It really surprised me mate. I actually thought my bike was broke because it wasn't losing battery lol update me on the results here if u can!

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
Will do, meant to ask, how did you do that aerial video of the route? Is it connected to strava?
It's an app called Relive, bud. It's amazing. I import my route from my Garmin smart watch and I can make a video of it, not sure if it imports from Strava but it's worth checking

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
It is obvious the max level is not what i bought my Stance E+ for.
Mostly i use the middle(3 lights) and i get exercise and distance from my 400Wh.
Using our gears is part of not wasting energy.

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
On my Fathom I settled in with level 3, and pretty much started with that on the Stance. Now I'm mostly using level 2.
I've got an 84 mile ride tomorrow. Gonna try most of it on eco. Will see how no.2 is. Hooked my Garmin watch up to my eBike so I can check the battery level on it. How long can u ride on 2?

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I've got an 84 mile ride tomorrow. Gonna try most of it on eco. Will see how no.2 is. Hooked my Garmin watch up to my eBike so I can check the battery level on it. How long can u ride on 2?
Not sure yet. Longest ride on the Stance so far is 42kms. Planned a route today at 36kms. Will seek out longer rides though. Curious how much battery the Garmin comm ANT+ uses. I have a 530 mounted.

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
Not sure yet. Longest ride on the Stance so far is 42kms. Planned a route today at 36kms. Will seek out longer rides though. Curious how much battery the Garmin comm ANT+ uses. I have a 530 mounted.
Probably not much mate. It's just Bluetooth isn't it? Can't imagine that much.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
View attachment 62842

Not sure how to embed this, but thanks for introducing me to relive! ?

So basically it shows you could ride for 5 H and do about 100km in about the same conditions.
Now are you with a 400 or 500Wh?
What is your weight?
What are your tires?
Are you curious to repeat with a faster cadence to see if there is a sweet spot
to maximize your battery potential?

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
So basically it shows you could ride for 5 H and do about 100km in about the same conditions.
Now are you with a 400 or 500Wh?
What is your weight?
What are your tires?
Are you curious to repeat with a faster cadence to see if there is a sweet spot
to maximize your battery potential?
I’m 100kg in my birthday suit, add on a few kg for my shoes, clothes and the additional bits I carry, and 25kg for the bike.

im doing the island lighthouse challenge, well the half (92km) rather than the full (160km) on 4th July, it’s a big sportive here, so just going to enjoy it, I’m guessing 5 hours including the food stops.

I have a 2019 giant fathom e+2 pro 29er with a 500kwh battery, and I’ve effectively done the course already (basically chopped it up and done different sections) and I know I can do it with some battery to spare with my knobbly tyres on.

but last week I changed out the knobblies for semi slicks, basically touring tyres, and they ride a lot smoother (and quieter). I’m sure the new tyres have added a bit more range, maybe 10%?

the lighthouse half has about 2km of steep climbs so I’ll probably use proportionally more battery.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
90kgs + kit = 93-94kg?

Enjoy the bike.

Had I done it on eco the whole way I bet I’d have 90km out the battery. I don’t like hills and I am a bit lazy…..but that’s the point of the motor. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a route I’ve done a few times in the past on a normal bike which was more endurance vs enjoyment.

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
19E47CF0-D68C-41B0-93E1-CF814099DC35.png

Had an epic ride yesterday, started off in the rain but it soon cleared and it was a fantastic day, cloudy but not too hot.

I tuned all my modes down to their lowest settings, and mostly used it in eco at 50% support.

When the going got really steep I’d switch up to eco+

I’d turn it off for the flats and just use my legs for power, but you really feel the weight of the bike then.

towards the end I had so much battery left that I was putting it in turbo for the steeps although I knocked this down to the middle mode as it just ate the battery and it wouldn’t have been representative of the true battery usage.

I did 92km, climbed 1.5km in about 4:30 hours (if you knock off the time spent in the food stations) and used 76% of the battery. I could probably have finished with more battery if I’d not pushed the last few climbs.

next year I might consider the full course ?

Last edited:

MrMarzocchi

Apr 26, 2021
Wales
View attachment 65958
Had an epic ride yesterday, started off in the rain but it soon cleared and it was a fantastic day, cloudy but not too hot.

I tuned all my modes down to their lowest settings, and mostly used it in eco at 50% support.

When the going got really steep I’d switch up to eco+

I’d turn it off for the flats and just use my legs for power, but you really feel the weight of the bike then.

towards the end I had so much battery left that I was putting it in turbo for the steeps although I knocked this down to the middle mode as it just ate the battery and it wouldn’t have been representative of the true battery usage.

I did 92km, climbed 1.5km in about 4:30 hours (if you knock off the time spent in the food stations) and used 76% of the battery. I could probably have finished with more battery if I’d not pushed the last few climbs.

next year I might consider the full course ?
Definitely. Keep it in eco the whole way next time, no point turning it off completely as you've found out! Congrats

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles