Magic mary 29x2.6 vs Michelin ewild ?

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
Okay it's new tyre day arriving soon, I have a magic mary 29x2.6 and eddy current waiting to fit but I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are about the ewilds in 29x2.6 I ride uk trail centres and off piste at cannock chase is there a better all year round tyre than the mm ?

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
My friend wore his rear ewild very quickly on his Heckler. Replaced it with an Eddy. I have much better wear on Eddy which is an excellent all rounder. Not even sure the ewild comes in 29 yet.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would say the rear specific E-Wild is faster rolling, I have been run-ing them for a while and no issues

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup, I am a big fan of them, but the conditions I ride are very much sand/clay/loam/mud, haven't rid them in any properly rocky terrain. My one comment would be is you can get a bit of slip when rolling them over as they transition on to the side knobs.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I ran a 2.8 Magic Mary on the back of my Powerfly and it knocked about 10% off the range! I really liked the 2.6 Wild Enduro in 27.5 on the rear of my Rail but I broke some spokes so I'm back on the Bontrager OEM tyre which looks like a DHR 2 but doesn't grip like one. I'm going to get a 29er 2.6 e Wild for winter.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yup I was not a fan of MM on the rear when I ran one, may as well have coated the tire in treacle

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Currently riding MM front and EC rear, but have Michelin E-Wilds in delivery ?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Okay it's new tyre day arriving soon, I have a magic mary 29x2.6 and eddy current waiting to fit but I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are about the ewilds in 29x2.6 I ride uk trail centres and off piste at cannock chase is there a better all year round tyre than the mm ?
What ec are you getting? Is it a rear 2.6? I'm curious about that tyre.

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
Eddy Current
I have the 29x2.6 eddy current rear and magic mary on the front, but then swapped them out for a set of wtb vigilante 29x2.8 as I love plus tryes and thought I'd give them a try , I'm now think of going back to the 2.6 front and rear and was asking what people thought to the michelin ewild 29x2.6

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have the 29x2.6 eddy current rear and magic mary on the front, but then swapped them out for a set of wtb vigilante 29x2.8 as I love plus tryes and thought I'd give them a try , I'm now think of going back to the 2.6 front and rear and was asking what people thought to the michelin ewild 29x2.6
How did you find the eddy current 2.6 on the back?

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
How did you find the eddy current 2.6 on the back?
It was good but didn't ride it long enough to find fault nor did I ride it in many different conditions, I know that the guys at the bike shop told me it was the hardest tyre they've ever fitted it took two of them

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
It was good but didn't ride it long enough to find fault nor did I ride it in many different conditions, I know that the guys at the bike shop told me it was the hardest tyre they've ever fitted it took two of them

2 people to mount a bicycle tire? Jesus don’t bring them a dirt bike wheel and tire they might have to hire a crane.

I’m running EC front and rear, no complaints except weight!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
2 people to mount a bicycle tire? Jesus don’t bring them a dirt bike wheel and tire they might have to hire a crane.

I’m running EC front and rear, no complaints except weight!
You may not need all that weight on the front, but it won't be wasted on the rear. I have maxxis exo tyres that are very light and very soft and weak. So I, like many others, end up using an insert in the back. I'm guessing your EC on the rear is no heavier than my setup.

Last edited:

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
You may not need all that weight on the front, but the rear? I have maxxis exo tyres that are very light and very soft and weak. So I, like many others, end up using an insert in the back. I'm guessing your EC on the rear is no heavier than my setup.

i find I definitely need the heavy weight tires on ebike. Feels to flexy and inconsistent without heavy duty tires.

tried exo that came with bike, felt terrible and got a flat second ride.

love the EC tires, transforms the bike, much more planted and confidence inspiring.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I'm running a 27.5 x 2.6 wild on the rear. Goes well but if you want better straight line rear wheel braking and good bite on steeper stuff flip the tyre round. Then you have biting edges in centre not the "battery saving" ramps. Grips like mad now in most stuff. Doesn't eat battery either. Find using front less now. The wilds do wear fairly rapidly but at £30 I'm not moaning. They can be tough to get on wider flatter rims...soapy water helps.

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
2 people to mount a bicycle tire?

It doesn't surprise tbh. It obviously depends on the rim too. I managed it on a DT Swiss 1900 29' 30mm on my own but it was a fight that I nearly lost despite using all the tricks in the book and breaking a tyre lever. Would have been a bit easier with a second pair of hands.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It took three of us to get an EC on a Bontrager rim with the stupid plastic rim strip!

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
No big issuess putting EC (with Super Gravity casing) on Roval 30mm rim here ...

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Ahh, I had a thought today - just one for the whole day :LOL:. It was about tight tyres! Why are these aggressive tyres, made for ebikes (more torque for steep climbs), made to run at low pressures, and expected to be used in relatively extreme conditions, so tight? I've probably answered it for many of you already, especially if you have any experience with off road motorbikes. There is a good chance of the bead braking and causing tyre slip, or burping. Off road motorcycles running aggressive low pressure tyres often use rim locks - a wedge shaped thing that locks a section of the tyre bead to the rim.

Last edited:

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I’ve found the ewilds good while they last however are pretty heavy and seem to wear quite rapidly. They round off quite quickly.

Always been a fan of a MM in 29 up front as the square edged design helps cornering grip so I’m experimenting with a 2.6*27.5 in rear. Only used so for on my non ebike (shock issue on eeb) however find it’s ok to pedal unassisted and grip excellent in varied terrain. Wear on MM addix seems pretty good as have run them for years.

Tyres can be quite a personal thing depending on technique and terrain. However both the MM and Mich wilds/enduro are pretty good for tougher environments.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles