Magic Mary 2.8 in a 27.5 Lyrik

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Running an Eddy Current 2.8 in a 27.5 Lyrik with plenty of clearance, so I imagine 2.8 MM would be fine too. I'll be buying 2.8 MM next when the EC wears out.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You can fit a 29 in but only with a 2.2 tyre, and that's heavily dependent on what tyre it is as some will fit and others wont

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Anyone with experience of using MM 2.8, what do you think of it? Comparisons? Thanks.
EPIC. I replaced my DHR2 with MM 2.8 up front based on Tim29's advice:
Ebike tire showdown. - EMTB Forums

I love 2.8" tyres, but I couldn't get on with the DHR2 because despite enormous side lugs, the large transition gap resulted in me sliding through before they would grip up. If you ride it perfectly it will perform, but any sloppy bad behaviour will see the front washout through the side knobs.

2.8" MM is a different kettle of fish. Really predictable slides that you can recover and loads of grip which means I can push harder, and smile more everywhere. I cannot recommend it enough.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
EPIC. I replaced my DHR2 with MM 2.8 up front based on Tim29's advice:
Ebike tire showdown. - EMTB Forums

I love 2.8" tyres, but I couldn't get on with the DHR2 because despite enormous side lugs, the large transition gap resulted in me sliding through before they would grip up. If you ride it perfectly it will perform, but any sloppy bad behaviour will see the front washout through the side knobs.

2.8" MM is a different kettle of fish. Really predictable slides that you can recover and loads of grip which means I can push harder, and smile more everywhere. I cannot recommend it enough.

Thanks for this RoJo. I just ordered a 2.6 Assegai Exo+, hope I haven’t made a mistake ?MM2.8 sounds very good. Is the diameter a bit bigger than other 2.6 tyres? The Baron 2.6’s which I have on my dry wheel set have a very big diameter bigger than other 2.6’s. They are good on hard pack, roll well, high range but useless in mud. Have you Cushcore in the MM’s?

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Thanks for this RoJo. I just ordered a 2.6 Assegai Exo+, hope I haven’t made a mistake ?MM2.8 sounds very good. Is the diameter a bit bigger than other 2.6 tyres? The Baron 2.6’s which I have on my dry wheel set have a very big diameter bigger than other 2.6’s. They are good on hard pack, roll well, high range but useless in mud. Have you Cushcore in the MM’s?
I am sure you will be very happy with the 2.6 Assegai: this tyre is designed to make the transition more progressive and give confidence. I run Assegai on my DH bike and I have zero complaints. I haven't measured the MM2.8 but it seems to be a little bigger than the DHRII which also claims to be 2.8". I haven't fitted Cushcore - I probably should, but I can't be bothered with the faf. Also I find that with higher volume I don't tend to pinch the tyres anyway.
By the way, I don't hate DHRII, I actually really like it in 2.4WT, I just don't think the tread pattern works well when blown up to 2.6" or larger.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles