Levo or Levo SL - can't decide

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I don't quite understand why 36v systems are used so much on these emtb's.

dowroa

Sep 5, 2020
USA
I don't quite understand why 36v systems are used so much on these emtb's.

I would assume that is determined by the motor and battery suppliers.

Since it is mostly a modular construction (I made a frame, I am choosing X-motor which uses Y-batteries), it is more than likely convention at this point and economies of scale (+back support, warranty, etc).

More than likely, the horse was out of the barn and this is basically still an immature / young market. If there is a marketable advantage to going higher voltage (with regulations for shipping / handling / hazmat ), I am sure it will evolve.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
48v is the limit in the U.K for road legal use, I'm not sure about other countries. Over 60v maybe deemed to be getting potentially dangerous for the end user as above this voltage can give a nasty shock ?. Motors often will take a wide range of voltage, but they are only built to handle a certain amount of amps before damage it done to the parts inside.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
This all sounds fine but I have yet to see real reports about the range of the restricted 60NM EP8, that's what I'm hinting at. I know what the range is on the SL and it's good and power feels like half of my sold YT Decoy which on paper is 70NM. SL range in turbo mode just about matches Decoy range in trail mode on the same ride/same trail for me, so I am skeptical of "60NM" EP8 getting a similar result with only 360W and how the power feel would compare to SL. I'm exicted to see what other lighter weight bikes come to market with restricted EP8 because the SL weight and smaller stance makes for a much more agile trail bike, just wouldn't mind a bit more power.

Percentage wise 60NM is about 42% more torque than 35NM yet 360W is only about 12% more battery capacity than 320W. Different voltages will play into this but I still think more torque=more consumption regardless. I'd be happy to be wrong about this.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
This all sounds fine but I have yet to see real reports about the range of the restricted 60NM EP8, that's what I'm hinting at. I know what the range is on the SL and it's good and power feels like half of my sold YT Decoy which on paper is 70NM. SL range in turbo mode just about matches Decoy range in trail mode on the same ride/same trail for me, so I am skeptical of "60NM" EP8 getting a similar result with only 360W and how the power feel would compare to SL. I'm exicted to see what other lighter weight bikes come to market with restricted EP8 because the SL weight and smaller stance makes for a much more agile trail bike, just wouldn't mind a bit more power.

Percentage wise 60NM is about 42% more torque than 35NM yet 360W is only about 12% more battery capacity than 320W. Different voltages will play into this but I still think more torque=more consumption regardless. I'd be happy to be wrong about this.

you are potentially very correct, but the software will be the main thing that controls consumption. For instance, How wide will cadence be on the ep8 to give good power?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles