Can’t decide 2023 Orbea Rise M10 vs 2023 Levo SL

SDRIDE

Jun 26, 2023
San Diego
I had a chance to demo the new Levo SL. Gen 2. I almost bought it. I don’t have a place near to demo the Orbea Rise 2023. Just having a tough time deciding before spending the $. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
If you don't have somewhere nearby to demo the Rise, then I assume that means you don't have a local Orbea dealer?

That would push me towards Specialized if I were you... as their dealer network is vast.

Counter - Rise is beautiful, SL looks heavy...
But most Rise's have paint chips and are poorly finished from the factory 😂

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Mine was beautifully finished from the factory but is now covered in chips and scratches as it gets well hammered! And its done well over 1000 hard miles. :) Still love it!
Ha ha.... note I said most, because I expected some owners to jump on saying there's was perfect 😂

My previous Levo SL 1.1 had done about 4000 miles (or about 2000 hard miles) and had 1 chip where a rock bigger than a tennis ball bounced off the frame (and then my shin 😢)

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
I was in the same situation, but went for the rise m team instead of the sl pro… I have done a 3 days demo on a rise m10 model 2022, and was surprised of the range and Power, only remark was the noise at high cadence, but also the new sl is stil louder than the tq, so I think almost comparable with the Shimano EP801, on the other side you pay 1000€ less, with a bigger battery and the possibility to choose your own colors … that’s way I went for the rise, but it was also for me a difficult choice. Both are great looking bikes and either choice will be ok.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The Rise puts the power down in the most awful way possible, worst bike of all I demo'd at a huge demo day
I found just the opposite. I currently own both an EXe and a Levo SL. I did own a Rise prior to this. The Rise is very intuitive to your cadence, whether low or high, and assists accordingly. It is noticeably more powerful and gets noticeably more range. I wanted something that was really stealth. The EXe checked that box and it is my go to bike. The stealth looks and quiet motor are my trade off for the additional power and range. Also, with the EXe, the power delivery and quiet motor makes you forget you are on an e-bike most of the time.

With all that said, you would not be disappointed with the Rise, EXe or Levo SL. I’d pick the geometry that suits you and don’t look back. All 3 bikes are really incredible in their own way. I’d avoid anything with a Fazua motor until they figure out all their problems.

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
The Rise puts the power down in the most awful way possible, worst bike of all I demo'd at a huge demo day
That's my impression as well, I think the "Ride Synergy" software missed the mark. (In normal EP8 mode it's great, even with the torque turned down to 63 nm.)

Last night found the derailleur hanger locating ring couldn't be installed, while greasing the linkage bearings (figured it was a good time, while fixing the upper linkage creaking-another bad design). It appears that the sleeve in the seat stay is too wide, waiting to get word back from Orbea on warranty. 2022 Rise H30 shipped from the factory this way. Mechanic at the shop didn't seem shocked, and said he's waiting for a warranty resolution on the front shock mount on his Rallon as well. Apparently Orbea wanted to close the file on his claim even though it wasn't resolved.

Attractive bike, but caveats for sure.

Cheers.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I had a chance to demo the new Levo SL. Gen 2. I almost bought it. I don’t have a place near to demo the Orbea Rise 2023. Just having a tough time deciding before spending the $. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks
Pivot SL

Darkdoodl

Jun 17, 2023
Lake Worth, FL
Levo SL. The Gen 2 is awesome, powerful and light and that new quiet motor is great. Shortly rode a 2021 Orbea Rise and it was nice. Not Levo nice, but nice. Like having a complete ecosystem of bike, motor and app from Specialized. Makes it real easy IMO.

rdbowden

Oct 21, 2022
Tewksbury, MA
I owned a Rise M20. Sold it about two months ago and bought a Levo Comp Alloy. If you read articles on loam wolf and flow mountain bike websites they all hinted at the rear suspension being "firm" . I only weigh about 160 pounds geared up and I could never get the rear suspension dialed in. It was always sort of harsh. But if you are a rider who likes to pop off things then the Rise is fine. The Shimano noise while coasting was really annoying. I ride single track with lots of rocks and roots and every time you stopped pedaling it got noisy. My trails are a bunch of ups and downs, no long descents. If your trails are smooth or when you are coasting you are on steep down hills and moving faster I don't think the noise would be that noticeable.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I have a both bikes. I’ll just start by saying they both have their place but they are polar opposites.

I’ll just start with the new Levo SL, its probably the best handling bike I’ve ever been on once you make it a 29er. It’s a great all around bike. Great geo….great suspension. Not the greatest climber. Range is poor, power still not that great.

The Rise is fun and poppy. The rear suspension feels a little wooden and the bike just feels like more of trail bike than the SL. It’s very fun and easy to ride but it’s just not quite as well suited for the gnarlier stuff like the Levo SL. However, where the Rise unequivocally blows the SL away is range and power! My 2023 Rise M10 has a 540wh battery and is on par in terms of range with my regular full fat Levo that has a 700wh battery. So, in terms of ease of use, price, value, range, and power the Rise is better. I’m not saying that I’d definitely pick the Rise but if I could only have 1 bike and had more fiscal limitations the Rise would definitely be more attractive.

gbcoke

Aug 28, 2022
italy
Your weight and general shape should be a major point in your decision imho.
The 320wh in the levo is just a big miss for Specialized for heavier and maybe a bit out of shape riders.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
I have a both bikes. I’ll just start by saying they both have their place but they are polar opposites.

I’ll just start with the new Levo SL, its probably the best handling bike I’ve ever been on once you make it a 29er. It’s a great all around bike. Great geo….great suspension. Not the greatest climber. Range is poor, power still not that great.

The Rise is fun and poppy. The rear suspension feels a little wooden and the bike just feels like more of trail bike than the SL. It’s very fun and easy to ride but it’s just not quite as well suited for the gnarlier stuff like the Levo SL. However, where the Rise unequivocally blows the SL away is range and power! My 2023 Rise M10 has a 540wh battery and is on par in terms of range with my regular full fat Levo that has a 700wh battery. So, in terms of ease of use, price, value, range, and power the Rise is better. I’m not saying that I’d definitely pick the Rise but if I could only have 1 bike and had more fiscal limitations the Rise would definitely be more attractive.
Thans for the feedback, do you have the Carbon wheels on the M10 , what‘s the weight and the difference in noise between sl and rise in your opinion?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I currently own a Rise M20, Gen1 LSL and a Gen3 Levo. Having ridden them all extensively there are pluses and minuses to each. If I had to choose one to be my do all it would be the Rise. Have not ridden the Gen2 LSL but suspect the suspension changes are similar to Gen3 Levo which means a fairly more active and responsive suspension, a great improvement. Motor wise the EP8rs when combined with STunlocker and Shimano sm-pce02-b interface becomes something of a wolf in sheep's clothing, tune up the power and torque, and power to weight ratio is pretty insane. With the RE on Rise at 252W + 360W internal, 612W in the ballpark of a full power bike battery. Ride it like an SL tuned down no RE, or take it out with the fullies no problem with RE. Also have my M20 set up mullet with 216x63 long shock for 162mm rear travel + 160 fork, this set up is key for me, as stock I don't care for the Rise's short suspension feel.

Sounds complicated? It is kind of, getting what I really want takes some effort.

LSL is a great bike, I'm sure the new one is even better. I owned a Gen2 Levo and when I sold it and got the Gen3, the suspension changes are very notable and improved. Love the integration of the software and display, definitely better than Shimano system. Specialized dealer support is also pretty good, can be slow though, so no delusions about getting quick support when a bike goes down. My LSL spent 5 weeks in the shop 2 yrs ago because of slow responses and mis-diagnosed issues from Specialized. Specialized would the best choice for anyone worried about support though. Orbea dealer network is small.

I place the most importance on the bike feel overall and what the motor can do for me. Motor sound is a distant concern to me because any ebike will have some sounds, Shimano rattle, LSL whine, Levo's tendency to get noisy when hot. Anyone looking should check out the MTBR guy's youtube to see the data he has on all of the SL motors. If you value more power, you'll be doing yourself a favor by watching his videos (E-MTB review is name of channel).

Overall for best on trail feel, I give it to the long travel/mullet Rise, while the Gen3 Levo's suspension is really good, it is a very stiff frame and sometimes feels numb on the trail to me. I'm really inclined to sell Gen3 Levo more than anything because it is too heavy. Would I buy a Gen2 LSL after owning a Gen3 Levo? Hard to say but the Gen3 Levo vs. Gen2 Levo is not quite enough to justify the purchase in hindsight.

Gen2 LSL should really have a bigger battery, there's no way a more powerful motor won't eat up more juice, so this feels like a shortcoming, only 480W total with RE. I'm willing to bet the next one will have a larger battery.

For my money, wait and see what else comes down the pike. Bosch SX motor sounds intriguing. Lighter e-bikes like the new Giant that give the rider the option to tune up and down power and torque? This, just maybe not the Giant :)

Lighter more powerful mid-power bikes I believe are the future. Will we all be looking back in 5 years wondering why we thought a 50lb full power bike was worth having? I think so.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
Poster above, I also have 2 gen3 levos and the new SLs suspension is totally different. Saying the new SL is like a Levo is just plain 1000% wrong. 2 things make them very different. 1) the stays an the new SL are the shortest that I’ve ever seen on an ebike 2) Specialized built more progression in to the suspension….the Gen2 LSL is never going to need a cascade link. The rear suspension is sublime.

I have carbon wheels on all my bikes except for the Rise however the new wheels on the Rise are very supportive for aluminum and come with DTSwiss DT350s hubs. It’s a quality wheelset although I’ve never heard of the brand. My Rise was an impulse purchase. It’s highly unlikely that I’m going to upgrade much more than the brake rotors and bars. Other than the brakes the kit is excellent.

I upgraded the crap out of my new SL and it weighs 39lbs with pedals and 41lbs with a range extender. It was almost 42lbs stock. I think M10 weighs a little more but it has a 540wh battery. If I put the wheels I’m using on the SL on the rise it would lose at least a pound.

Another thing that I keep forgetting is that the new EP801 is really quiet but it still rattles a bit downhill. That being said, the more I ride the Rise the quieter that new EP801 gets. A couple of my riding buddies actually commented about it last time we went out. The gen2 SL motor is way quieter than the gen1 but I don’t think that it’s quite as quiet as the EP801….I think. Both are relatively quiet but the SL definitely whines more at super high cadence.

FLOCO

May 11, 2022
Manitou Springs
I have no experience with the Levo SL, but love my Rise H30 after upgrading the front brake rotor. It's beautifully finished and I find it puts the power down in a very natural way which works well on loose, steep Colorado single track. Yes, I wish it was a little lighter, but that's about my only complaint, and at the price point seems an excellent value for what you get.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
Poster above, I also have 2 gen3 levos and the new SLs suspension is totally different. Saying the new SL is like a Levo is just plain 1000% wrong. 2 things make them very different. 1) the stays an the new SL are the shortest that I’ve ever seen on an ebike 2) Specialized built more progression in to the suspension….the Gen2 LSL is never going to need a cascade link. The rear suspension is sublime.

I have carbon wheels on all my bikes except for the Rise however the new wheels on the Rise are very supportive for aluminum and come with DTSwiss DT350s hubs. It’s a quality wheelset although I’ve never heard of the brand. My Rise was an impulse purchase. It’s highly unlikely that I’m going to upgrade much more than the brake rotors and bars. Other than the brakes the kit is excellent.

I upgraded the crap out of my new SL and it weighs 39lbs with pedals and 41lbs with a range extender. It was almost 42lbs stock. I think M10 weighs a little more but it has a 540wh battery. If I put the wheels I’m using on the SL on the rise it would lose at least a pound.

Another thing that I keep forgetting is that the new EP801 is really quiet but it still rattles a bit downhill. That being said, the more I ride the Rise the quieter that new EP801 gets. A couple of my riding buddies actually commented about it last time we went out. The gen2 SL motor is way quieter than the gen1 but I don’t think that it’s quite as quiet as the EP801….I think. Both are relatively quiet but the SL definitely whines more at super high cadence.
Glad hearing this positive feedback, I am waiting for a delivery date of M team 2023, myo configuration,hopefully this year 👍

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Levo SL is the one I'd get, of those two. I do like the Trek and I'd have a hard time with that choice. I am hoping solid-state/better batteries and other motor innovations will drop the weight of these light bikes to 35-36 lbs in the next couple of years.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
I think you really need to test the Rise or any other that you might consider an option. Each bike feels different and will suit different people. I rode an 2022 SL and it just didn't have enough power. The Gen 2 is more powerful and im yet to ride one.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
I have the rise M team now for 3 months and I am very happy with it. Comfortable and more than enough power, I ride 90% in eco. Speed adapted towards 50km/h but you rarely need this, for me the most important was to have motor support till 35km/h, because you ride a lot between 24 and 28 km/h and than it was all the time on/off .Now it’s super comfortabel and I am very happy until now… bike tuning by e-bike tuning NL it’s the same as eplus tuning.You can choose 35 or 50 km/h support. I think it’s 150€ and 210€.Everything remains useable and the speed is also correct in the display.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I would personally push you to the Rise without a doubt but Frankyspec is right, you should find a place that can broker you actually getting on a Rise first… call a dealer who sells them and ask them if they have sold one to anybody or if their Orbea sales rep can be at the shop with one for you to try. That is how I did it for my wife and I.

K24Madness

Mar 28, 2024
SF Bay Area
Love the Rise mTeam! It took some massaging to go from liking it to loving it. I suspect the Levo is probably better out of the box.

That being said the new cascade link was a great change to help dial in the rear suspension. The original 150m Fox 36 factory was good but I found the 160mm Fox 38 to be a better fit for my usage. The extra 14mm (4mm in crown) also shifted the geometry in a way that made the bike feel less nervous.

Bottom line is this IMHO. Choose the bike not only for what it is but also what it could be. Things like battery/motors/frames can't be changed (not easily anyway) but so much else on the bike can be spiced to your liking. Simple things like wheels can have profound impact on how a bike feels.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles