ebike for commuting?

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
Hi Guys, some help/advice please.
So, thinking of a ebike hardtail ideally but mostly for commuting which is a bit hilly and will take me through a few parks, with access to some singletrack, probably 70/30 road/gravel/offroad stuff - ideally want it to save me a bit of time on 10 mile each way commute.
I know I wont be able to go above 16mph but would think of derestricting if needed. Mainly though it will save me a bit of time on the hills and will allow me to want to ride to work a bit more....
what if anything would you recommend, ideally keeping it below £2500 uk
cheers
Mo

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Nothing wrong with your concept of using what is normally considered an off road ebike to do dual purpose. In fact we motorcycle folks often rely on what is called a dual sport or dual purpose motorcycle to check more use boxes than strict proprietary models.

However, I'd go one step further and suggest a full suspension model, but if I understand correctly you're concerned about price which is understandable. Why would I suggest a full suspension emtb? The added weight wouldn't be a burden due to the motor assist, so that's a non-issue. Also some of the roads you might commute on have railroad tracks, potholes, and other not so pleasant rough spots. You can jump on and off curbs...where permissible...with much more comfort and control.

And then on your time away from the commute, you have a fully capable off road bike that might serve you better than a hardtail. I could ride my Trek Rail 7 anywhere and do it in complete comfort and then hit burly trails with ease...though I realize some places may have more draconian regulations about the type of e-bike you're riding on streets.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I had a Powerfly hardtail that I I used for paved roads and trails. The proper tires were needed for better speed on pavement. Light trails were also possible.

A full suspension is much better for our downhill trails (roots, rocks, drops etc). However, you can lockout the full suspension.…then it becomes a hardtail.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Nothing wrong with your concept of using what is normally considered an off road ebike to do dual purpose. In fact we motorcycle folks often rely on what is called a dual sport or dual purpose motorcycle to check more use boxes than strict proprietary models.

However, I'd go one step further and suggest a full suspension model, but if I understand correctly you're concerned about price which is understandable. Why would I suggest a full suspension emtb? The added weight wouldn't be a burden due to the motor assist, so that's a non-issue. Also some of the roads you might commute on have railroad tracks, potholes, and other not so pleasant rough spots. You can jump on and off curbs...where permissible...with much more comfort and control.

And then on your time away from the commute, you have a fully capable off road bike that might serve you better than a hardtail. I could ride my Trek Rail 7 anywhere and do it in complete comfort and then hit burly trails with ease...though I realize some places may have more draconian regulations about the type of e-bike you're riding on streets.
Totally agree my first eMTB was hardtail but I regretted buying it since it wasn't comfortable and gave me back pain off road. Sold it after less than a year and got a FS which is perfect.

Frankenbetty

Jun 6, 2020
Llandegla
I’ve got both. a FS and a Vitus Sentier HT. The Sentier is better for commuting imo as it’s lighter and less conspicuous. less nobbly tyres and a Suntour NCX bouncy seatpost make it perfect for commuting to work and still ok off road
I was dubious about the seatpost but the NCX works really well and isn’t a wet noodle. Plus I’m not wearing out the drivetrain on the FS and the bits on the HT are cheaper to replace when they do wear out.

Last edited:

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I use a Levo for commuting and it's great. Having a dropper post is a nice little luxury when standing at traffic lights too. Also curbs and stairs can become fun / opportunity to practice instead of a pain.

I treated myself to a second wheel set with commuting tyres for easy swapping, but others just use their MTB tyres pumped up to a much higher pressure than used off road.

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
I have cube hardtail with thudbuster suspended seatpost and just bought orbea wild full suspension with dropper.

The orbea wild is definitely better even on streets. It's my first bike with dropper, so I didn't think I'd use it so much on pavement, but it's definitely useful to drop down at stops or even just to adjust posture if back is hurting.

However, the thudbuster is definitely enough suspension for me to deal with potholes etc, and the hardtail is still pretty fun without worry about maintaining suspension.

I got the cheapest orbea 2022 h30 version with 500 battery at amazing closeout. It was about $1200 more to go up to h20.

OP is commuting only 10 miles so the 500 battery should be enough? Plus there's big weight and price saving with going with 500. I"ve never yet used up the whole battery in a single day, but OP may like not having to charge battery at work?
In, UK are "street" bikes allowed a higher top speed?
I'm in US and the mountain bikes are 20mph limited and street bikes are 28mph limited.

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
Fellow dual-use (commuting & general A to B plus off-road fun) rider here.

While other people have made some good points, I 'll go against the grain and say a humble hardtail suits your purposes. I may be biased from the fact that's what I ride 😉

A fully won't just have higher initial cost but also ongoing maintenance. A mid-range hardtail will likely be more reliable than a low-end fully (you're on a budget as was I). Perhaps this video with Jones the Bike might help you decide either way:
I recommend something with a strong motor and a large battery capacity, unless you're already super fit.

I'll definitely recommend regardless of bike type getting the right tires for your use case. Smart Sams have been perfect for me. Johnny Watts depending on your offroad use might work too.

As your route is hilly, consider a saddle with a raise at the back, if not already present. YMMV.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I'm curious about the saddle detail. What is this "raise in the back?" TYA
I’m assuming this is a slight rise towards the rear of the saddle is also called a whale-tail. Ergon Core has this model. I use this model on both of my bikes.

IMG_7532.jpeg

If you zoom in on the saddle you can see a slight rise. I find this model very comfortable for my bottom …it’s almost like someone is “cupping your cheeks”. 😉

Last edited:

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
I'm curious about the saddle detail. What is this "raise in the back?" TYA

As Stihldog correctly said, aka "whale-tail", where the back of the saddle rises upwards slightly. Some people find it useful/comfortable when going uphill but remaining in the saddle. Saddles are subjective of course hence YMMV.

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
I’m assuming this is a slight rise towards the rear of the saddle is also called a whale-tail. Ergon Core has this model. I use this model on both of my bikes.

View attachment 137064
If you zoom in on the saddle you can see a slight rise. I find this model very comfortable for my bottom …it’s almost like someone is “cupping your cheeks”. 😉
Woah, my wife would kick me out if bought home an EXE, but a fancy saddle is quite interesting and potentially affordable!
However the MRS may get suspicious if I start enthusing about my "cheeks being cupped" or my "pelvic bones being measured"...
More seriously, is that a good seat for someone refusing to get a proper padded pair of cycling shorts?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Woah, my wife would kick me out if bought home an EXE, but a fancy saddle is quite interesting and potentially affordable!
However the MRS may get suspicious if I start enthusing about my "cheeks being cupped" or my "pelvic bones being measured"...
More seriously, is that a good seat for someone refusing to get a proper padded pair of cycling shorts?
I don’t use cycling padded shorts with this saddle. I’m on the saddle half the time anyways. I’ve tried some other types of saddles but this model seems to fit the best.

Regarding the purchase of a Fuel EXE;
I lured the misses into Trek one day and starred at the Fuel EXE display for several minutes. It helps if you can quiver your lower lip and shed some tears. 😭. Hope that helps. 😉

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
@moseven

Have a gander at Cube's Hybrid models. Reaction for hardtails, Stereo for fullys. The all-road versions might be of particular interest.

Whatever you decide on, please bear in mind my advice regarding the right tires, and above all, have fun!

Last edited:

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
I don’t use cycling padded shorts with this saddle. I’m on the saddle half the time anyways. I’ve tried some other types of saddles but this model seems to fit the best.

Regarding the purchase of a Fuel EXE;
I lured the misses into Trek one day and starred at the Fuel EXE display for several minutes. It helps if you can quiver your lower lip and shed some tears. 😭. Hope that helps. 😉
Ha, I'm going to practice lip quivering in the mirror - good tip!
My selling point to the MRS was the
@moseven

Have a gander at Cube's Hybrid models. Reaction for hardtails, Stereo for fullys. The all-road versions might be of particular interest.

Whatever you decide on, please bear in mind my advice regarding the right tires, and above all, have fun!
This is my first emtb, Cube Hardtail Reaction Pro 500 from 2022 or 2021. I swapped in an ancient thudbuster LT from 2010 and favorite seat. I'm 6.2 and 34 inseam. The bike is XXL I got during covid shortage so was desperate, but fits me reasonably well. The thudbuster is at lowest possible setting which is okay for height for me but is something to watch out for as it adds lot of height off ground.
I like to sit very upright so swapped stem and added stem riser. The motor makes aero less relevant so max comfort and ease of looking back in traffic was key for me. I like being much taller than cars for visibility plus it feels good.
A bonus with stem riser vs bars is cost and no need to move around brake levers etc.
With the weight of batter and motor, it is hard for me to pop up front of bike to clear curbs or try wheelies. The raised front end makes it much easier.

cube save 1.jpg

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
The cube came with tubeless ready rims which the cheapest Treks at the time did not. The stock tires were NOT tubeless ready so I asked the shop for customer rejects which work well enough for me.
I was also looking at the orbea urrun at the time but the castrated motor system and nonremovable battery were deciding factors.
Besides top-end speed something to consider is acceleration. Being able to come to full stop quickly and then out-accelerate cars feels important for safety as I feel I can dart away from potential trouble. So having full power Bosch is great and I'm almost always in EMTB.

fibersnap

Jul 6, 2023
USA
I recently bought this Wild H30 for $3.7k cash with tax and tubeless conversion from LBS in the resigned presence of the MRS.
My better half seemed to be cheered by fact that my new obsession financially damaged us less than the Cube's out the door impact of $4.1k almost two years ago and that the battery is swappable without visit to LBS.
Today's fixation is lightening up the front end which of course brings safety benefits which the MRS hopefully still finds convincing?

orbea save 1.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles