Recommend some grips for comfortable commuting?

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
I do 50k a day, mainly on roads and paths, on my turbo lego. 6 months in it's really hurting my wrists (although resting heart rate down to 61 so thats good) - are there any recommendations for replacement grips I can use that will better support my wrists?

cheers all!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There's more than likely something wrong with your position on the bike if you're getting wrist pain riding roads on a FS Emtb. Or do you have some sort of injury you haven't mentioned?

Also resting HR means FK all. mine's always been between 39-42 even when I had a year laid up injured and put on two stone from being unable to walk and spent most of my recreational time drunk/stoned.. it just is what it is. Not really an accurate judge of fitness in any way.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
There are all sorts of things you can try but slogging a lot of miles in one position on an mtb can be uncomfortable.
Have a go at mixing up your hand position, thumbs under the bars as usual, thumbs over the bar, move your hands closer together for a bit resting on the brake clamps etc and maybe even ‘gulp’ bar ends!
Drop bars on road bikes give you lots of usable hand positions, you are limited on an mtb.
You may also find bigger/smaller diameter grips could help, gloves if your hands are getting sweaty and you are over gripping.
Try the free stuff first, then the cheap stuff then after that there is shorter stems & riser bars that will put more weight on you butt than on your arms.
Specialized do a proper technical bike fit at their expert centres for a small charge. Maybe worthwhile before blowing loads of cash on components.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I agree with Eckythump about changing hand positions.

I have some Innerbarends from SQlabs and find them really good for switching it up on road and smooth trail sections: SQlab | Bike 1 | Ergonomic bicycle parts. It's fairly similar to riding "on the hoods" of drop handlebars.

Others on here have mentioned TOGS (thumb over grips) which look similar: TOGS

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles