Join Us! EMTB Forums December group ride, Afan Forest, Sunday 9th December

Little bloke

Nov 22, 2018
St Athan
I was out at Cwmcarn today and Cafell is defiantly shut due to forestry work but all of Twrch is open now they have sorted out all the issues after the fires.

happyarthur1979

Oct 5, 2018
Bridgend, South Wales
Guys W2 is fine on a single 500wh battery (I ride it regularly on my Kenevo) and takes in the two best trails Afan has to offer. I would suggest starting at Afan Argoed and grabbing a bite to eat at The Corrwg Cwtch Cafe @ Glyncorrwg Ponds. This as about half way round and just before the BIG climb back up. The descents on both Whites Level & The Wall are epic so I’m sure if you’ve never ridden them before you will enjoy them.
One thing though... when you have ridden “ Goodwood” section of Whites Level and are back on fire road don’t take the first trail on your right... ride past it and you will come across another about 100yds further on. This descent is amazing and you are treated to stunning views before it gets gnarly.
Stick to Eco & Trail and your battery’s will last ok.
Would love to join you but have a family get together I cannot get out of.
Enjoy & I look forward to seeing the pics and videos??

Neil rees

Nov 21, 2018
Maesteg
Yea w2 will be fine on one battery my local centre its great also bike shop and cafe there for coffee etcthere is parking fee there mind.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Answering my own questions now, it looks to be about 24 miles and 3k ft of climbing which is outside my range comfort zone.

@Rob Hancill when will you be posting the route?

Little bloke

Nov 22, 2018
St Athan
I have an image of loads of muddy people holding out plugs ?. Bring your snorkels people as it's not stoped raining all night here and no signs of it stopping plus wind looks like it's gona pick up again. Perfect Welsh weather for riding in. ?‍♀??☔

bikerider007

Nov 7, 2018
Norfolk
So who going then? The weather says showers and very windy like 30km windy... I'm about to set off for Wales.. (hmmm thinks to self why... Oh I've got to ride my ebike.....) all good..

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Alright all, we will do W2, about 24 miles and as Doomanic mentioned about 3k in ft climbing.

W2 is graded as a black, but from everything I have read is more to do with the actual length, rather than technical sections.

We can pace ourselves in Eco and Trail modes for the ride to make sure that we are all comfortable in completing the route.

I'm just going to work out the exact meeting place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dax

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
If I understand it correctly the w2 trail is made up of the wall and whites level. So it should be possible if needed to bail half way around with only a flattish route back to the starting point.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Make sure you check out the jump park at the top of Y Wall, there’s a great line of big tables.

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
Hey guys- I think I might be the most inexperienced rider tomorrow. I can handle the blues at Swinley and Cannock Chase (which is supposed to be red but it seemed less challenging than Swinley blue trails to me) but I don't feel confident about going beyond that level. Is that going to be a major issue? I don't want to spoil anyones ride...

Drops and jumps are my biggest problem since I am too old to fall off at speed- I am plenty used to eating dirt at slow speed though :confused:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hey guys- I think I might be the most inexperienced rider tomorrow. I can handle the blues at Swinley and Cannock Chase (which is supposed to be red but it seemed less challenging than Swinley blue trails to me) but I don't feel confident about going beyond that level. Is that going to be a major issue? I don't want to spoil anyones ride...

Drops and jumps are my biggest problem since I am too old to fall off at speed- I am plenty used to eating dirt at slow speed though :confused:
Not at all buddy, I am happy to ride with you and anything you are not happy with we can walk it
Filmed at Afan?

Yes, looks like it.

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
Not at all buddy, I am happy to ride with you and anything you are not happy with we can walk it

Yes, looks like it.
Thats nice of you Rob. Now that's what this forum is all about.
If I was there, I'd be keeping you company BJep. I too need to practice.
Are you any where near Swinley. Be nice to met up sometime. Looking for someone to ride with occasionally.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Very sorry about this guys but some work stuff has come up and I can't make it any more.
Thanks Rob for the lending of the bike I would of very much liked to have tried that, since I do like trying out different bikes. W2 is also one of those trails I really want to ride.
again very sorry and thanks for all the effort you guys have put in trying to make this ride possible for me. Much appreciated.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Very sorry about this guys but some work stuff has come up and I can't make it any more.
Thanks Rob for the lending of the bike I would of very much liked to have tried that, since I do like trying out different bikes. W2 is also one of those trails I really want to ride.
again very sorry and thanks for all the effort you guys have put in trying to make this ride possible for me. Much appreciated.
No probs matey, maybe see you on the next one :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles