Internal Power Cable Failure, Levo 2019

Paceman

Jul 8, 2019
Brighton
Seems to be an issue only with the newer 90° connectors. Does beg the question, why the change to the new and then unproven, now proven dubious connector in the first place?

specialized-my19-levo-fsr-battery-engine-cable-220.jpg

Looks like a version 3 is needed, with a more durable 90 degree connector shroud, and better sealing from water ingress. Fingers crossed something will come soon :unsure:

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
This same issue happened to my 19 Levo 2 weeks ago; Freeborn in Horsham (where I bought it) sorted me out with a new cable :)
The warranty is 2 years? my bike is 1 year.... is there a tipping point where the risk of more issues will inhibit the ability to sell on 2nd hand??

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
In contacting 2 different units within Specialized UK it appears that the "Rider Care" unit is the one that deals with communications with Spesh dealers whereas the phone call I had with Duane at Specialized UK seems to be part of the product management team. It does not appear that these units talk to each other and it also does not appear that "Rider Care" get feedback on reliability issues from Spesh dealers. Maybe this is why many on here and probably many LBS know about the main power cable problem and yet parts of the overall Spesh team do not.

SO I REPEAT HERE MY REQUEST FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED PROBLEMS WITH THE CABLE, EVEN IF IT HAS BEEN REPLACED BY THE LBS TO USE THE RIDER CARE CONTACT FORM ON THE SPESH UK WEB SITE TO LET THEM KNOW. POSTING YOUR PROBLEM ON THIS FORUM IS OBVIOUSLY NOT EFFECTIVE BY ITSELF.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
Got my reply. Maybe I should be dry cleaning my bike.

Thanks for your email and I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your bicycle.
I have discussed this with my colleagues and we believe that the issues you are experiencing are as a result of the harness's terminal becoming damp from water ingress. Once the bike is powered on, the damp connection then essentially causes a short in the system which presents you with the described error.
The harness has a rubber seal around the connection which prevents this from happening. If the harness is knocked at all this can cause the rubbers seals connection to come loose which would then allow moisture to gain access to the terminal.
What we would recommend doing to address this, is drying off the inside of the harness connectors and the terminals it is being inserted into if the bike is cleaned or ridden in wet conditions. After which you will then need to ensure that the connection is secure when it is placed back into the bike. Provided the connector and terminal is dry, along with having the rubber seal connected correctly, this should resolve the issues you are experiencing.
There is a new harness coming out in the new year as you mentioned. This, however, doesn't have a new connectors, but has a slight redesign on the middle cable section instead to help increase its durability.
If you continue to have issues, if you could please reach out to your local Specialized retailer. They will be able to inspect the bike for you to determine the exact root cause of the issue if the above doesn't resolve this.
I hope this offers assistance with regards to your enquiry and the issue at hand, and if I can be of any further assistance in anyway, please don't hesitate to ask.
Many thanks,

Rider Care Assistant.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

Thanks for your email and I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your bicycle.
I have discussed this with my colleagues and we believe that the issues you are experiencing are as a result of the harness's terminal becoming damp from water ingress. Once the bike is powered on, the damp connection then essentially causes a short in the system which presents you with the described error.
The harness has a rubber seal around the connection which prevents this from happening. If the harness is knocked at all this can cause the rubbers seals connection to come loose which would then allow moisture to gain access to the terminal.
What we would recommend doing to address this, is drying off the inside of the harness connectors and the terminals it is being inserted into if the bike is cleaned or ridden in wet conditions. After which you will then need to ensure that the connection is secure when it is placed back into the bike. Provided the connector and terminal is dry, along with having the rubber seal connected correctly, this should resolve the issues you are experiencing.
There is a new harness coming out in the new year as you mentioned. This, however, doesn't have a new connectors, but has a slight redesign on the middle cable section instead to help increase its durability.
If you continue to have issues, if you could please reach out to your local Specialized retailer. They will be able to inspect the bike for you to determine the exact root cause of the issue if the above doesn't resolve this.
I hope this offers assistance with regards to your enquiry and the issue at hand, and if I can be of any further assistance in anyway, please don't hesitate to ask.
Many thanks,

Rider Care Assistant.
OK so well done, at least you have got them talking....albeit I do not understand what they are saying! They surely cannot be referring to the motor connection point since that would involve removing the non drive side crank and motor cover after every wet ride. I assume they are therefore talking a bout the battery connection end....but then there is no rubber seal there ( or indeed on the motor plug end). There is a rubber "o" ring but you would not be removing that for any reason other than it was damaged or broken. I suggest you reply and ask for clarification! The important thing here is that we get them to realise there is an issue. I am also disappointed with their explanation of the revised motor cable. It does not seem in any way to address the fact that the motor plug end splits open and allows water directly onto the pos and neg wires.

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle

Many thanks,

Rider Care Assistant.
Is this a joke? If the harness is knocked?, wet conditions? Washed?
it’s a mountain bike for Christ sake.
This demonstrates clearly the design is not fit for purpose and this communication is an admission to that fact.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Weirdly enough, it's never the magnetic end of the lead that fails, in my experience it's always the the motor end of the lead.
If Specialized are suggesting otherwise they still are not getting it.

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Emailed them today

Hi, despite a change 2x to harness, new motor, new sensor I’ve been living the levo dream of wondering when the bike will fail as I’ve had intermittent faults of no assist cleared by switching off/on in the last couple of weeks. No data to mission app is held during this fault as Bluetooth also fails at this point.

I read with some incredibility on a EMTB forums a reply from yourselves to an owner that if the harness is knocked, or the bike ridden in wet conditions this could produce this type of error.
Your company has sold this item as a mountain bike and as such it should be designed to cope with bumps and wet weather, nowhere in your literature or advertising on release of this model do you advise to avoid bumps or wet weather.

I also believe there is a new harness available and I look forward to you providing one to my lbs Edinburgh Cycles of Newcastle and for it to be installed free of charge.

I look forward to your response

Regards

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi Rob
whilst I understand your point there does appear to be a complete lack of communication between the retailers/lbs and Specialized as well as between various parts of the Specialized team. They seem happy enough to give their names but maybe what should be happening is the issue of case numbers in response to customer complaints or enquiries. Is there an opportunity for anyone you know with an existing knowledge and relationship with Specialized to help resolve the issue of this cable design?

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Hi Rob
whilst I understand your point there does appear to be a complete lack of communication between the retailers/lbs and Specialized as well as between various parts of the Specialized team. They seem happy enough to give their names but maybe what should be happening is the issue of case numbers in response to customer complaints or enquiries. Is there an opportunity for anyone you know with an existing knowledge and relationship with Specialized to help resolve the issue of this cable design?
All my faults were managed by my lbs Edinburgh cycles Newcastle, they were great and dealt with all issues in a very friendly manner, how much support they got from Specialized is unclear.
My communication with consumer care was OK but not prompt.
I’m very disappointed in the product and would never recommend or buy from them again, I never feel confident going out and it spoils the whole experience.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
I had the motor cover off yesterday and just before putting it back on i noticed the dreaded exposed wiring peaking through on the motor side plug. I was tempted to put a dab of liquid electrical tape on it. It does look like there is stress placed on the plug from too tight a turn of the cable

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
I had the motor cover off yesterday and just before putting it back on i noticed the dreaded exposed wiring peaking through on the motor side plug. I was tempted to put a dab of liquid electrical tape on it. It does look like there is stress placed on the plug from too tight a turn of the cable
How old is your bike, take any pics?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The pos and neg wires are pretty heavy duty. I wonder if the cable becomes even stiffer with colder temperatures. I would definitely seal that split with a suitable tape and get a new cable fitted as soon as possible. If you get any water ingress inside the motor cover through riding in wet conditions or washing you are likely to get a fault otherwise.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
How old is your bike, take any pics?
mine is a 2019 with about a year of use ,2k miles. I didn't snap a pic but the tear in the sheathing is just beginning, hopefully when it fails it will be intermittent so i don't have to walk a 50 lbs anchor home. Yes i might just bite the bullet and buy a spare

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
mine is a 2019 with about a year of use ,2k miles. I didn't snap a pic but the tear in the sheathing is just beginning, hopefully when it fails it will be intermittent so i don't have to walk a 50 lbs anchor home. Yes i might just bite the bullet and buy a spare
Use your warranty to get a replacement.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob
Hi Mikerb,

They want to fix this. We (myself and about 6 others) met up with some of the product design team from Swizerland recently. They also visited some bike shops (Berkshire Cycles was one) to seek feedback on these issues (amongst other things).

They don't like this happening as much as we don't.

I've also personally met some of the Rider Care team. I can vouch that they really do care about the product.

I do think that there is an opportunity to be better with communication about what the issues are etc. But I also know what its like working in a big company when issues occur and how much is shared in the public domain. Not condoning it; it just is what it is and how things work sometimes.

What I do know is they do care lots about it and want to do a great job. But I also see (and have experienced) failures with these electrical parts and its deeply frustrating when you just wanna ride your bike.

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
Hi Mikerb,

They want to fix this. We (myself and about 6 others) met up with some of the product design team from Swizerland recently. They also visited some bike shops (Berkshire Cycles was one) to seek feedback on these issues (amongst other things).

They don't like this happening as much as we don't.

I've also personally met some of the Rider Care team. I can vouch that they really do care about the product.

I do think that there is an opportunity to be better with communication about what the issues are etc. But I also know what its like working in a big company when issues occur and how much is shared in the public domain. Not condoning it; it just is what it is and how things work sometimes.

What I do know is they do care lots about it and want to do a great job. But I also see (and have experienced) failures with these electrical parts and its deeply frustrating when you just wanna ride your bike.
There would be less negatives in the public domain perhaps if they had communicated to users earlier, 1 recognising the issues, 2 committing to fix them with a target date..

This Proactive approach would have put a positive spin on a company dedicated to producing a quality product.

While their warranty is good, simply replacing parts without finding the root cause is bad practice.

It seems strange to me that their team has been collecting data in “secret”.

I worked for a major oil and gas company where damage to reputation was considered a major risk, what was even more damaging was failing to be open and honest when problems occurred

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
There would be less negatives in the public domain perhaps if they had communicated to users earlier, 1 recognising the issues, 2 committing to fix them with a target date.

This Proactive approach would have put a positive spin on a company dedicated to producing a quality product.

It seems strange to me that their team has been collecting data in “secret”.

I worked for a major oil and gas company where damage to reputation was considered a major risk, what was even more damaging was failing to be open and honest when problems occurred

Agree with communications.

Not sure anything has been done in secret though!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Then how come it’s not general knowledge, ensuring customers are aware that their issues and investment is being investigated with a view to a “fix”
It would also stop bad press in the threads

We met and chatted about ebikes in general. Not solely about the power cable stuff. What kind of stuff we liked / didn’t like etc. Then went for a ride.

Nothing to ‘announce’ or make general knowledge. Just a group of bikers meeting up and having a ride.

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
We met and chatted about ebikes in general. Not solely about the power cable stuff. What kind of stuff we liked / didn’t like etc. Then went for a ride.

Nothing to ‘announce’ or make general knowledge. Just a group of bikers meeting up and having a ride.
Expensive jaunt from Switzerland just to chat lol

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think in terms of my communication with 2 sepate teams (it appears) they accepted that my motivation was to be helpful ....and yes both were keen riders themselves. I also worksd for a large corporate organisation and know that committed and helpful individuals working in that organisation can have their efforts frustrated by a lack of process and coodination. So it is not about individual contacts within Specialized but rather what appears to be a lack of process. The last pieces of information gleaned were that a modification to the cable was due to be available in december but that it consisted of strengthening the mid section of the cable. That does not sound like a fix for the splitting plug/ water seal. I guess we will nust have wait and see if indeed it is a fix or not.

Sep 1, 2018
Newcastle
I think in terms of my communication with 2 sepate teams (it appears) they accepted that my motivation was to be helpful ....and yes both were keen riders themselves. I also worksd for a large corporate organisation and know that committed and helpful individuals working in that organisation can have their efforts frustrated by a lack of process and coodination. So it is not about individual contacts within Specialized but rather what appears to be a lack of process. The last pieces of information gleaned were that a modification to the cable was due to be available in december but that it consisted of strengthening the mid section of the cable. That does not sound like a fix for the splitting plug/ water seal. I guess we will nust have wait and see if indeed it is a fix or not.
They must have found a problem there, seems strange to modify it otherwise, as you say we will have to wait and see.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles