How was your ride, in one picture and one line?

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Northern California
Springtime and Hero dirt!
IMG_2851.jpg

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Northern California
We finally got sunny skies over Northern Cali! Hero dirt too! View attachment 11853
Hey Pinoy Emtb’er, what tyres are you running? They look like Maxxis Rekons maybe? I’m after some new skinwalls and would be keen to hear your experiences!

Yes they are Maxxis Rekon+ @2.8”. They are fast rolling tires and able to find grip in all conditions I taken them to. Most of my riding are smooth trails with loose over hardpack, lately its been greasy mud. I also ride a lot of rocky trails from granite to shale to sand stone. It gripped all of these surfaces without issues. Since these are thinner tires than my last pair. I run the rear with a little more pressure@20-22psi to avoid pinch flats. The fronts are always 16-18psi.

The tires I had before are Minion DHF Front and HR2 Double Down rear. Both are 2.6”, both are great but heavier and slower rolling than the Rekon+

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Yes they are Maxxis Rekon+ @2.8”. They are fast rolling tires and able to find grip in all conditions I taken them to. Most of my riding are smooth trails with loose over hardpack, lately its been greasy mud. I also ride a lot of rocky trails from granite to shale to sand stone. It gripped all of these surfaces without issues. Since these are thinner tires than my last pair. I run the rear with a little more pressure@20-22psi to avoid pinch flats. The fronts are always 16-18psi.

The tires I had before are Minion DHF Front and HR2 Double Down rear. Both are 2.6”, both are great but heavier and slower rolling than the Rekon+
Just goes to show the difference in conditions, I had a rekon 2.8 & it was rubbish in British winter slop, saying that the 2.6 DHR is not that much better but it does clear mud better than the Rekon & DHF, should really try a decent winter tyre like the shorty as I nearly ended up hitting a gate at 20mph+ Yesterday because I ended up drifting rather than holding the line, quite scary really.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia

Excellent, your conditions sound very similar to mine - mainly loose over hard pack or dust! Great to hear. I might have to try and find some to order now.

Pinoy-E-MTBer

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Northern California
Just goes to show the difference in conditions, I had a rekon 2.8 & it was rubbish in British winter slop, saying that the 2.6 DHR is not that much better but it does clear mud better than the Rekon & DHF, should really try a decent winter tyre like the shorty as I nearly ended up hitting a gate at 20mph+ Yesterday because I ended up drifting rather than holding the line, quite scary really.

When I got these tires installed. I did have some concerns specially when the mud get sticky as peanut butter. Luckily that is not the usual conditions that we have in Northern California. When they do, the parks are very quick to close the trails. So I cant really test it on super sloppy conditions. With that said, we recently got a good amount of rain AKA "Atmospheric River" where we got so much rain that it ended our 7 year drought. I got the chance to test it in our version of slop. It may be wet, but the sand mixed in with clay mud actually provided enough abrasive material where the tires was able to hold the line I was riding. It was a bit sketchy on sloppy off camber corners. If the conditions gets worse...Thats when my spare wheelset with more aggressive tires gets used.

I would recommend the Rekon+ as a good intermediate tire for any (NorCal) conditions. The knobs maybe pretty close together, but shed mud easily. British slop....maybe not....Thats when you throw on the Magic Marys 2.6-2.8"

Last edited:

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Ride was good......landing the jump not so much ?
glad Tony's OK, though that green thing stuck in your jeans looks painful

try wearing mtb shorts - they offer better freedom of movement and bike control

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Cornered well, felt stable and predictable, liked it although a different feel. Looking down it looks good, unlike the scary leftie fork.

It only comes in 130 travel at the minute so not suitable and a crazy price 2500. 12 bearings too, so can imagine maintenance might be expensive?!

I survived the no-handed into roots and tree stump test only just though as the shock didn't make it up.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Here in Reading, PA we broke a 124-year-old record for rainfall with nearly 70" of rain in 2018. That's 178 cm of water. And the weather pattern continues into 2019. I rode a trail on Neversink Mt. Sunday and it was like riding in a stream.

Great pic, btw, stiv674!

Thanks!

That doesn't sound too pleasant, I bet it's great when it dries up though, I've ridden about 8 times since I bought my bike and Saturday was the first time I didn't need to clean it off before putting it in my car :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles