62B18BAD-D3A5-487D-AE9B-00237C9C2B13.jpeg
649CCB9D-F962-4A96-BC2C-BA8506AD487E.jpeg
58B8FC82-2AEF-4FE9-86B0-53AB949CC60D.jpeg

Interesting bike I saw today at Berkshire Cycles. By Fulgur, an Italian brand:

20KG listed weight
• Full Fat 90Nm motor by Polini
- 160mm @extremeshox ERA Fork
- 160mm rear travel with @extremeshox Storia Coil V3
- Modular internal battery 504Wh and you can add another 125Wh internal extender!
- Additional 250Wh or 380wh external range extender option
- Enduro Geo, 64 degree head angle
Mullet
- Full carbon
- £6800
- Competed in EWS-E in 2021
- user serviceable motor

Love the modular battery concept to save weight.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's quite an old motor now, but it doesn't mean they didn't get thing right straight out of the gate. Just hasn't had that much uptake for whatever multitude of complex reasons when making these decissions.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think the whole motor is user serviceable ? Maybe the only one to that extent ? @Bearing Man ???

On paper it reads as the perfect motor. As manufactures they seem passionate and professional. I wonder why it's never taken off, supply issues, contract issues, battery comparability ? The Italian relaxed view to you want it or not I don't care ?

Will be interesting to see what you think, I don't recall you ever trying a Polini ?

In fairness, now that Shimano have gone full down from the top globally, rather than just the smaller markets, "make the numbers look better than they are or I won't get my bonus" - with deny warranty claims for any reason possible, they also supply very simple documentation for repair of any motor or battery issue - even to the extent of removing battery health from dealer software :

Example of Standard Shimano "very simple" solution documentation :

Screenshot 2021-12-11 19.20.21.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I think the whole motor is user serviceable ? Maybe the only one to that extent ? @Bearing Man ???

On paper it reads as the perfect motor. As manufactures they seem passionate and professional. I wonder why it's never taken off, supply issues, contract issues, battery comparability ? The Italian relaxed view to you want it or not I don't care ?

Will be interesting to see what you think, I don't recall you ever trying a Polini ?

In fairness, now that Shimano have gone full down from the top globally, rather than just the smaller markets, "make the numbers look better than they are or I won't get my bonus" - with deny warranty claims for any reason possible, they also supply very simple documentation for repair of any motor or battery issue - even to the extent of removing battery health from dealer software :

Example of Standard Shimano "very simple" solution documentation :

View attachment 77954
And this is why every time a new bike comes out equipped with a Shimano motor, somewhere, a puppy dies.

I would have bought the megawatt if it had been Bosch, I was gutted when it was a Shimano motor.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
And this is why every time a new bike comes out equipped with a Shimano motor, somewhere, a puppy dies.

I would have bought the megawatt if it had been Bosch, I was gutted when it was a Shimano motor.
Bosch are not taking on any new bike brands at all at the moment :-( And if and when they do the MOQ’s are far higher than Shimano. So I think that we will continue to see a load more Shimano based EP8 bikes launch.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Bosch are not taking on any new bike brands at all at the moment :-( And if and when they do the MOQ’s are far higher than Shimano. So I think that we will continue to see a load more Shimano based EP8 bikes launch.

strange, as someone else posted I wonder how Pole has managed to convince Bosch to allow them to use their motors.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Not convinced about this…

I was in Berkshire Cycles at the weekend (don’t ask… 🤬 ) and had a feel of it. It felt considerably heavier than my KSL.
Any idea if it had the 504 or 629wh pack inside? I just can't see how it could be 20kg with a full fat motor and batt pack as well as big suspension

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I can't be sure, but Chris was going on about the big battery.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
View attachment 77905 View attachment 77910 View attachment 77906 View attachment 77907 View attachment 77908 View attachment 77909

Interesting bike I saw today at Berkshire Cycles. By Fulgur, an Italian brand:

20KG listed weight
• Full Fat 90Nm motor by Polini
- 160mm @extremeshox ERA Fork
- 160mm rear travel with @extremeshox Storia Coil V3
- Modular internal battery 504Wh and you can add another 125Wh internal extender!
- Additional 250Wh or 380wh external range extender option
- Enduro Geo, 64 degree head angle
Mullet
- Full carbon
- £6800
- Competed in EWS-E in 2021
- user serviceable motor

Love the modular battery concept to save weight.

I popped (!) down to try this bike on Saturday and was really impressed with it.

Unfortunately the ride was short and of limited scope, but what little I did do it felt really good, the motor and suspension in particular. Although the 'testing' of the latter was no more than pumps and road furniture, it felt virtually free of stiction, and like it would just soak up the ripples with ease.

I'm not sure that this specific bike, with alloy cranks, bars and rims would be as light as 20kg (I'm only going on the basis of 'feel' when lifting it), however it was definitely considerably lighter than my current bike (Giant Trance E+0) and I expect that with some carbon goodies it would be amongst the lightest of the full-fat bikes for sure.

Anyway, the main reason for me posting, was that I forgot/didn't think to see how much drag the motor had when turned off, so if you get the opportunity to do that when you test it please Rob and let us know that would be great.

I also have to say, Chris at Berkshire Cycles could not have been more honest and helpful, taking so much time out of his day to talk with me about more than just the bike, and was not pushy in any way. A refreshing thing these days. Very impressed.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I just thought I'd post an update...

I bought one of these and have been riding it for a couple of months now.
I wanted to get enough riding in to form an opinion before expressing it.

Anyway, I love it. The suspension in particular is incredible. I thought the Fox Factory stuff on my Giant was good but this is on another level.

I've made some changes to suit my preferences:-

I've fitted OneUp bars, because they're great.
Carbon wheels because I prefer them. I went for the XD driver and 1299 cassette but the offset is different so I need to fit a different hanger.
I've fitted CushCores. Because it's a No Brainer.
Medium length mud guards.
I wasn't keen on the cable routing into the chainstays and I already had a SRAM AXS derailleur from another bike so I've fitted that, but unfortunately the hanger isn't perfect for it (along with the hub/cassette change) so that's on my 'to-do' list.

Mine is a Medium and with all the above fitted, along with my lights (Hope R8+ with 6-cell battery) it's just under 23kg.
If I was to fit Fox 34s and a DPS shock, take out the cores and remove the lights it would probably be around 20kg, but it wouldn't be nearly as good a machine for being that bit lighter, so I'm perfectly happy to carry the little extra weight.

There are some little tweaks and changes that both myself and Chris at Berkshire cycles have been talking about and agree on, mainly to do with the extender battery, but overall the bike is fantastic.

The display/app/motor software is by far the best I've ever seen.
There are five 'groups' of settings, each with five levels. You can adjust the levels within a group as you ride, but to change groups you need to go into the menu, for which you have to be stationary. Three groups are factory configured and fixed, two groups are fully customisable. You can adjust pretty much everything about how power is delivered; how much torque is required from the rider to give assistance, and how much assistance you get. 'Run-on' is also adjustable in the custom settings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles