Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Product Image:
guards.jpg

Product name: Cube Cubeguard Race Mudguards
Price paid: 30
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: Have been using these, front and back, for a few months now on a hardtail. They were about €30 for the two.

Both are quick and easy to install and remove and generally stay in place. I had to sand the plastic on the front insert to roughen in up a bit to stop it rotating at the start and the rear sometimes ends up off centre at the end of a run, though with my limbs flailing around all over the place, it's possible I catch it with a foot.

The front originally ended up about 1cm away from the downtube, so I stuck a foam pad on the guard to stop any rattling. It helped, but I eventually just shortened the guard to stop it slapping.

The front stops most of the junk ending up in my face, but as you can see does nothing to protect the lower frame.

The back one keeps my rear dry.

I'm running 27.5+ in 2.8 DHRII/DHF which are both a bit like paddle wheels and throw a lot of stuff about , so I still normally come back covered in crap, but at least I'm not soaked.

If I was buying again, for that tyre combination, I'd probably go for the "performance" rather than "race" versions which are about 15mm wider and a few grams heavier.

They've survived numerous unplanned dismounts and if you do manage to deform them in some spectacular fashion, they seem to straighten themselves out in an hour or so.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles