MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Racer MT front Alternate.jpg

Product name: Racer Motion Top 2
Price paid: €200
Score (out of 10): 8

Racers (Racer Gloves) second version of their "Motion Top" with lots of improvements.

There are dozens of different "body armours" out there. They all pick their own line through the different compromises you have to make between protection area, protection level, weight and heat management.

Racer seem to have gone down the route of trying to offer good protection, in specific zones, whilst putting it together in a package that's light enough and cool enough to wear every ride and not have to make the decision to wear it or not.

On the whole, they've succeeded !

The Motion Top 2 has a D3O BP4 L1 back protector - this is the latest D3O back protector and is considerably lighter and is designed to offer more air flow than previous versions. As it's lighter and cooler, they've not had to do the usual thing and make it overly short to make it usable - so you get full length back coverage.

Racer MT back alternate.jpg

The other good thing with the BP2 is the dimensions (except for thickness) are the same for the Level 1 and Level 2 protectors, so you could swap out to a Level 2 protector if you wanted to.

BP4 L1.png

The D3O shoulder pads feel good. They're shaped well, light weight and well vented (as they're also the newer type).

The chest has a selection of 5mm EVA foam padded sections. These won't stop any major chest impacts, but will reduce the effects of some minor impacts. I think they've gone this route ultimately to keep the weight and heat levels down.

The elbows use unformed D3O pieces. If there's one thing I don't like - it's these. For me, they feel too thin and too small. If you're used to anything more protective on the elbows, these don't really feel like they offer sufficient area coverage or protection. That said, I did smash my elbow repeatedly against the sharp edge of a worktop and it didn't hurt ..

Motion Elbow.jpg

The pad is the same pad they use in their motion knee pad.

Motion Knee.jpg

The knee pad receives similar feed back with people not feeling like it offers sufficient protection.

Interestingly, this was the thing which most people complained about with the original Motion Top - it's also the one thing they haven't changed.

Because they're unformed, they don't feel like they're going to stay sitting around your elbow in the correct place - though form alone doesn't guarantee that. If you take this image from a "Scott" review for instance, it doesn't really portray the elbow protector as naturally sitting in the right place very well ..... uhmmm ... nice forearm protection ... but what about the elbow .....

scott.jpg

Back to the Motion 2 !! ...

The jacket zips on, with the zip running up the left side. The zip is decent quality.

It's very form fitting all over.

The main body being two different types of mesh, which breaths well but isn't see through - so you don't look like predator if you ride only wearing this top without a shirt.

Motion inside.jpg

The upper arms are primarily lycra, which doesn't really breath, but fortunately doesn't feel hot. The lower arm is lycra with a mesh strip down the inside of the forearm and a single (loose) elastic strap running around the arm to help keep things in place.

The lower arms are also removable if you feel it's too hot to wear them. These Zip on and off really easily and also have decent quality zips.

The mesh sections burr up really easily with any contact to velcro items, so be careful washing it or stashing it with your other gear. It's D3O, so you also have to remove the pads for washing, primarily I think because the spin cycle hammers the hell out of them and they start to break down as if they've had hundreds of impacts.

In terms of practicality. The Motion Top two has two small zipped pockets at the waist and a zipped pocket at the base of the back protector. Lots of reviews show people putting a phone in here - unless you have a 5 year old phone, it probably won't fit - useful for a multitool or similar though. On the inside, the two mesh sections which make up the waist pockets also double up as two interior pockets you can slide things down into. These are large enough to take a full size phone or similar, but might suffer from sweat if you didn't have the top over your shorts.

If you remove the back protector, you can also insert a hydration pack (not provided) and then put the back protector back in. The space will take upto 3 litres, but if you put more than about a litre in you start to notice the weight moving the jacket around. I'm around 70kg's and in a Medium. It might be if you're bigger, things stay in place more.

Racer MT back hydro.jpg

In terms of comfort, I think it's the most comfortable and least intrusive upper body protection I've tried. It's also the coolest.

It felt so comfortable that in order to prove to myself that it wasn't intrusive - I slept in it for the first night ! Other than noticing you had a firmer back than normal in certain positions, it was great ! :geek: It also works as great protection from angry wives who think you keep spending too much money on body armour.

The next day I wore it for the whole evening to see how it was in the heat and to further test intrusiveness. Again, it was great, though the dog did get repeatedly excited as he somehow can tell it's bike armour and kept thinking we were going out for a ride.

Today, I finally got to do a hot ride in it. Just rode flat out everywhere. Ran out of battery. Rode home flat. It was excellent. Didn't feel like I was going to suffocate. It never felt uncomfortable and I don't feel like I've lost 10 litres in sweat.

The chest, you can tell there's some insulation there, but not enough to start over heating. The arms, despite the lack of mesh, didn't feel hot. It was also really easy to take off after the ride, which is a bonus with my presently knackered shoulder.

Fit wise, it's quite long. If you pull it down as far as you can (it's stretchy), it wraps around most of your arse and comes down to groin level. There's a silicon band on the inside, but as you'd expect it rides up a bit on the move. I'm not sure if the idea is to wear it inside your shorts or outside. I might just be stretching it down too far though ! Personally, I quite like the length as it means the back protector is supported properly.

All in all, I really like it. It's not a full coverage armour like a 7855, but it offers far better back protection & shoulder protection in a cooler package (due to a lot less protection area). It also doesn't chaff your nipples, so you can wear it straight on your skin. It's cool enough and discreet enough that you can just wear it for every ride without asking the question of "Do I think I need it" ...

Weight wise, it weighs in at 1050g.

For comparisons. A 7855 is 700g - which is amazing for the amount of all over upper body protection it gives.

My 7855 is 860g, with higher protection Alpinestars moto shoulder pads.

A Leatt Airfit Light is 1250g - which will give you shorter back protection, better chest protection, but be a lot warmer as the Leatt armour pads don't breath as well.

One other advantage of the forearms being removable, is if you really hate the elbow pads, you can use alternatives. Though really, it would have been nice if they'd done something more here. I can only guess they tried and it felt more constrictive and warmer - so it didn't fit with the overall design direction they were heading in.

Other upgrades or changes than the elbows ? .. It would be nice if they also produced a "Racer Mountain Top" - with higher protection - like bigger elbows for the clumsier rider.

The side zip means they could add a D3O CP1 L1 protector in the chest instead of the EVA foam - without too much weight or heat penalty :
cp1 l1.png

Maybe offer it with the L2 back protector .. or maybe not ... The BP4 L1 actually feels like the nicest back protector I've tried in terms of weight, heat & protection.

So yes ... I like it ... I think it's actually going to become my main day to day armour - certainly whilst it's hot !

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The most fantastic and well written review I’ve seen on any body armour, this should have been sponsored!!! As a result I’ll be buying this thank you so so much!
Thanks ! :)

The more I wear it, the more I like it. It really is like a second skin. It's certainly the most comfortable of all the armours. It's quite amazing how liberated you feel wearing it after spending several days wearing and trying others in back to back comparisons especially when it's really hot.

I was playing with it yesterday, it feels like they put a lot of time and effort into the shape, materiel's, stitching. I almost want to buy a second one just to wear as a casual top :) I've been slowly giving most of my others away, but there's no way this one is going anywhere.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
From another thread .. but it makes sense to answer here .. :)

the racer motion, my chest is 100cm but it says large is 97cm, will that be okay for me to get a large?

£179....

Screenshot (17).png

Looks like you should be good in a large..

Looks the same in French, sometimes places seem to mess sizes up on their translations ..

Screenshot (18).png

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Nice one mate I’m ordering now.....don’t tell the missus!! she wasn’t happy about the giro Tyrant helmet I just ordered ? just need shin pads now

Got the helm on a discount to £102 from £130, wish there was something for the motion

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
just need shin pads now
I ended up with some adidas football ones with ankle protection from Sports direct .. they were cheap, but have been impeccable and you don't know you have them on.

Yup, couldn't find the motion discounted anywhere. I thought I did, but it was without VAT.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Ordered a Racer Motion Top 2. It looks really good, but even the largest size (XL) is so small. Probably only for riders with less than 80kg
There might to be tight like a second skin, I’m 85kg or so and it feels great, but I’ve an issue with CE2 upgrades as there too heavy and drag the stretchy fabric down past the limbs abit but I might be oddly proportioned ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There might to be tight like a second skin, I’m 85kg or so and it feels great, but I’ve an issue with CE2 upgrades as there too heavy and drag the stretchy fabric down past the limbs abit but I might be oddly proportioned ?
Does it do that even if you fasten it in place with some loops round the water bladder holes/hooks ?? A water bladder weighs more than the CE2.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles