• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Anyone derestricted the new Shimano EP8 yet?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Check that your circumference is set correctly, mine was factory set at 2360mm and the actual circumference of the tyre l measured at 2250mm

l changed it to the actual value and the speedometer is now within 1km of Strava on a 40km ride.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
That's exactly what l did, although l got about 5% more speed as mine wasn't so far out.

l could probably have adjusted that in the Shimano app as it has a setting for a +/- 5% speed adjustment

Every little helps !!

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
What about Stunlocker, the guy says he's now updated his own software so you don't need to do a motor software downgrade in order to get it to work.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
That's exactly what l did, although l got about 5% more speed as mine wasn't so far out.

l could probably have adjusted that in the Shimano app as it has a setting for a +/- 5% speed adjustment

Every little helps !!
That shitty adjustment in the shimano app only changes the speed displayed. It doesn't effect distance recorded or actual assistance speed or anything else of any use.

Last edited:

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
My wheel circumference was 10cm out, it was (as always) set too large.
l adjusted it to the correct value using Stunlocker.
Now, the bike speedometer is within 0.5 miles of my GPS on a 20 mile ride.
Yesterday's ride was according to Strava 21 miles and according to the bike 21.4 miles.

Before l adjusted it, the bike would tell me l had done 22 miles on this ride.

lt's not a big difference, but it's nice to get it more accurate.
And l guess the bike will be a little bit faster too, not that you'd notice such a small difference!

But l've paid for 15.5 mph and l want 15.5mph, not 14.9

kenaiok

Feb 3, 2022
Tulsa, OK
I tried ST Unlocker but my EP8 firmware isn't supported apparently
Did you get it to work? I just downloaded the App and it won’t connect to my bike…wondering if it’s because the EP8 firmware (bike shop updated it w/o me knowing 🤦🏻) is most recent version

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Check that your circumference is set correctly, mine was factory set at 2360mm and the actual circumference of the tyre l measured at 2250mm

l changed it to the actual value and the speedometer is now within 1km of Strava on a 40km ride.
You do realise tho that you might have blown your warranty with doing this as I did the same and was told that it voided the warranty. Only hearsay but just something to think about and maybe checkout before doing it.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Yes l realise that could be the case. Although l've only set it to the correct circumference and not a false setting to trick the ECU into making the bike faster.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles