A strange ticking noise has developed...

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Ride
2020 Giant Trance E+
When riding under load (even light), my motor seems to have developed a strange ticking noise when pedalling. It’s a bit of a random pattern though and I can confirm it definitely isn’t the chain/sprocket. I’ll be taking it in soon to get checked but just wondering if anyone had experienced something similar.

MrTeno2U

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Ride
Trance,
Speedfox,
My rear brake rotor bolts came loose causing a similar random clicking. I thought it was a bearing, but once the wheel was off i noticed the disk had slop. Easy enough to check.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Ride
Giant E-Trance Pro
I would re-set your front & rear calipers as they can tick as well.

Just loosen both calipers & lock up the brake, then re-tighten while the brake is still locked

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
Ride
none
Different bike, same symtoms for me as well. Two of the motor bolts had come loose and caused the ticking (creaking). Check for loose bolts 😊

SquireRides

E*POWAH Master
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I've had this caused by three different things:

Bolts holding the *cover* over the motor (not the motor mount itself) needed tightening.
General gunk in the drive-train seemed to cause creaking around the motor/crank area.
Shoes laces slapping against the crank arm! Took me a while to work that one out!

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Ride
Giant trance e +1
I would re-set your front & rear calipers as they can tick as well.

Just loosen both calipers & lock up the brake, then re-tighten while the brake is still locked
This and I’ve found Sliding in strips of paper either side before you pull the lever helps line up the caliper

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Ride
Giant trance e +1
When riding under load (even light), my motor seems to have developed a strange ticking noise when pedalling. It’s a bit of a random pattern though and I can confirm it definitely isn’t the chain/sprocket. I’ll be taking it in soon to get checked but just wondering if anyone had experienced something similar.
Could maybe be the freewheel? Mines random, Aussie Perth Dealer denied hearing the noise

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Ride
2020 Giant Trance E+
Could maybe be the freewheel? Mines random, Aussie Perth Dealer denied hearing the noise
I‘ve tried riding again and when the noise appears, lightly applying the brakes individually but that made no difference at all to the sound so I think the brakes are ruled out.

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
Ride
Giant Trance E Pro 1
Not something simple like a broken cable tie where the rear brake line or wire comes out from around the motor area and runs along the swingarm and the brakeline/wire reacting with suspension bob and slapping on the rear triangle or frame?

20200119_091129-jpg.24712

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Ride
2020 Giant Trance E+
Not something simple like a broken cable tie where a cable comes out from around the motor around the swingarm area reacting with suspension bob?
Thanks for the suggestion but by a process of elimination, it definitely only happens only when I am pedaling and under load (light or heavy, makes no difference). No load, no noise.

MrTeno2U

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Ride
Trance,
Speedfox,
Maybe try peddling no handed and see if it still speaks.

I once had a click, I was sure was the cranks. It turned out to be the headset.

I finally identified it when I noticed it went silent peddleing no handed.

KennyB

Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Ride
Quantocks
I had a click on my analogue bike, eventually found the drive side chain stay had a crack half way through. It had been hidden by the chain ring.

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Ride
Giant trance e +1
I‘ve tried riding again and when the noise appears, lightly applying the brakes individually but that made no difference at all to the sound so I think the brakes are ruled out.
I Meant the freehub.
Sounds like a trip to the dealer and they need to ride it. If they experience none of the clicking noise then at its on record for if it becomes worse I spose
Mike

Latest threads

Become a Patron!

Trending