YT Decoy NOT Serviceable by Shimano and YT Customer Service Fail

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Tragically bad news for us YT ‘believers’.

My faultless (until this) and superb 6 month old 1000 mile Decoy went to my LBS (Shimano approved) to diagnose an electrical motor issue in December 2020, speedo jumping to 20mph+ motor cutting out, then kicking in when speed dropped. Unrideable on any hills. Shimano UK got involved as LBS couldn’t diagnose from their software (see from about 19m in Rob’s video, this was my first little worry!). Shimano UK (Madison) did some over-the-phone and internet diagnostics with the LBS plugging the motor and software in directly to their computer and said the motor is at fault, send it to them. So we did. New motor supplied, Shimano asked YT for codes to sync battery, motor and bike. YT refused, despite Shimano UK protestations.

That’s correct. Zero Shimano capability to get the Shimano approved YT battery to work with a brand new E8000 motor. YT wanted the whole bike shipping back to Germany. YT emails have repeatedly stated to me that they DO NOT share any codes with third parties. Shimano are deemed a third party by YT!

YT box used by my LBS, YT postage and courier used, everything was sent to YT in January 2020, 1 month off the trails. Then a long silent wait.

March 8th 2020 YT send my LBS an email saying the frame is damaged and they are certain it was during the courier stage.

View attachment 27373

YT state that the frame is not deemed safe to use and it will cost the customer £1200 for a replacement frame.

Numerous emails, zero escalation within YT, total refusal to copy Markus or Stefan in to the issue and a point blank closing down on any questions regarding why it took 7 weeks to inform of the frame issue, nothing regarding the battery/motor issue. No proof of receipt of bike or contact/photos of the frame, box, damage or courier notes.

Deadlock was reached on Thursday this week (11th March 2020). Despite being overly patient and incredibly polite there is nothing, no goodwill (it’s my second YT bike). Nothing resembling customer service or bike electrical serviceability away from YT exists and I am left with a bike that has cost me £5 per mile to ride, I’ve ridden it for 6 months out of 9 and it is now, according to YT, scrap.

I’ve sent a direct message to Markus the CEO, Shimano UK are escalating within Shimano, the LBS is offering a Trek Rail in exchange for the scrap Decoy. This is why I was using the LBS, they need the business, even if it’s just handling diagnosis and tweaking. I did remind YT Service that the entire brand depends on its warranty and customer experience and that social media is no friend to a business model when it fails in customer service. That email resulted in a very strict response simply stating ‘if you don’t want to pay for the new frame we shall pack the bike up and send it back’. I’m not even sure the frame will arrive in one piece! It wouldn’t be sensible to send a customer a defective frame back would it?

Anyone got any ideas,? anyone in a position to ‘have a word’?

Anyone want a 6 month old Decoy Pro in black with a brand new motor and no frame?

I’m going to be a social media troll on any YT Decoy post if this sorry tale ends as it looks like it could.

One photo from YT that really helps me out!
jedipip - Sorry to hear about your issues with YT / Shimano but maybe you need to adopt a different approach in getting some traction and hopefully resolving the issue to a satisfactory end.
EMTB and the forum is possibly the most popular go-to site for sharing the good and frustrating things about our chosen pursuit, as such, Rob has become a man the industry respects for his un-biased reviews of their products, so much so a great deal of them, including YT, invite him to critique their brand and models within it, as such it maybe worth discussing the issue you're experiencing with him, he maybe willing to highlight your issue with someone in authority at YT, as a member he should be willing to take issues on your behalf to YT and they should be willing to listen, I'm not suggesting he should fight your corner but if he values his members and their support of what he does then the occasional dig in the ribs to a company not playing ball should be the least he could do.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
jedipip - Sorry to hear about your issues with YT / Shimano but maybe you need to adopt a different approach in getting some traction and hopefully resolving the issue to a satisfactory end.
EMTB and the forum is possibly the most popular go-to site for sharing the good and frustrating things about our chosen pursuit, as such, Rob has become a man the industry respects for his un-biased reviews of their products, so much so a great deal of them, including YT, invite him to critique their brand and models within it, as such it maybe worth discussing the issue you're experiencing with him, he maybe willing to highlight your issue with someone in authority at YT, as a member he should be willing to take issues on your behalf to YT and they should be willing to listen, I'm not suggesting he should fight your corner but if he values his members and their support of what he does then the occasional dig in the ribs to a company not playing ball should be the least he could do.

Gav, YT are all over this issue now. I’d like to think Rob ‘had a word’.

There’s a good British guy called James who picked up my issue and is handling it.

He’s made an impression and got stuff sorted. There’s more to tell, but let’s wait for the bike to make it back.

??

eia

Apr 6, 2019
Germany
Did I understand it right your motor could not be changed from local Dealer because they did not have the right code from shimano? And normally YT shares this code with a shimano center but your dealer was forgotten?

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
The UK YT Industries team have been entirely instrumental in sorting out my Decoy back-to-base woes.

Almost daily contact tracking progress of the rebuild and shipment since they stepped in and got everything explained and fixed.

No doubt we’ll be hearing and seeing James and his team in due course, through difficult trading times he has tracked the new frame and rebuild at YT Germany and the strict isolation and working from home rules haven’t stopped the job.

The bike is boxed and prepped for shipping back to the UK.

Timing appears to have been hugely advantageous for me, if the service and knowledge provided by YT UK is what I have experienced then it looks like they will be getting me buying my third, fourth and fifth bike from them.

?? To James of YT Industries.

@Rob Hancill track James down, you could do a Covid19 compliant e-interview of the YT Guildford operation? Follow its progress up to launch day....which will inevitably be a little later than planned!

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The UK YT Industries team have been entirely instrumental in sorting out my Decoy back-to-base woes.

Almost daily contact tracking progress of the rebuild and shipment since they stepped in and got everything explained and fixed.

No doubt we’ll be hearing and seeing James and his team in due course, through difficult trading times he has tracked the new frame and rebuild at YT Germany and the strict isolation and working from home rules hanen’t stopped the job.

Timing appears to have been hugely advantageous for me, if the service and knowledge provided by YT UK is what I have experienced then it looks like they will be getting me buying my third, fourth and fifth bike from them.

@Rob Hancill track James down, you could do a Covid19 compliant e-interview of the YT Guildford operation? Follow its progress up to launch day....which will inevitably be a little later than planned!
James is a great guy and sounds like YT have some cool stuff planned for service options in the U.K. ?

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Lets hope they keep the quality pricing and bike design now they are getting a UK store.

I got a good chance to ride mine before the lockdown and its superb. The suspension works really well and even though it's not dialed in I was smashing through breaking bumps deeper than I've ever seen over cannock.

This this climbs like a mountain goat too.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Jedi pip do u have a contact number or email for James @ yt

@Fatbap I do. Let me check with him how he wants the pre-launch, it’s not official, early-days, no one knows about it, contact points to work.....he is a pro and we need to give him our support, he knows what’s needed and will do all he can in the current climate.

He monitors the YT Industries UK FB page....that is probably worth a good look especially at the post that Richard Wilkins started this week ?

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Jedi pip do u have a contact number or email for James @ yt

@Fatbap I do. Let me check with him how he wants the pre-launch, it’s not official, early-days, no one knows about it, contact points to work.....he is a pro and we need to give him our support, he knows what’s needed and will do all he can in the current climate.

He monitors the YT Industries UK FB page....that is probably worth a good look especially at the post that Richard Wilkins started this week

Ok mate I do understand just thought it would be easier to speak to a Brit than a German no offence intended they have been good to me so far so no issues there. I have tried to phone yt in Germany an unless it’s me but can’t get the number to work. Its easier for me to explain the problem than to describe it in words. I’m not on FB but will get the missis to have a look many thanks

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Ok mate I do understand just thought it would be easier to speak to a Brit than a German no offence intended they have been good to me so far so no issues there. I have tried to phone yt in Germany an unless it’s me but can’t get the number to work. Its easier for me to explain the problem than to describe it in words. I’m not on FB but will get the missis to have a look many thanks

Get Missis Fatbap to join that group and post your problem/issue. Pics help!

It’s probably something the rest of us can help with?

The YT HQ is on lockdown with skeletal staff so phone calls could be tricky, they are tricky at the best of times!

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales

Get Missis Fatbap to join that group and post your problem/issue. Pics help!

It’s probably something the rest of us can help with?

The YT HQ is on lockdown with skeletal staff so phone calls could be tricky, they are tricky at the best of times!

I will will do thanks.

I posted pics on here yesterday my chainstay is rubbing the motor mount it’s as if the rear has moved or a shim is needed (I made 1 an it’s cured) but have damage to frame

Yeah I understand the times are not great at all an every1 is affected

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

No doubt we’ll be hearing and seeing James and his team in due course, through difficult trading times he has tracked the new frame and rebuild at YT Germany and the strict isolation and working from home rules haven’t stopped the job.

It's a shame it had to come down to one guy to fix this shitty scenario, the whole team should be able to do what this guy did!

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Crap happens in companies. They often forget customers paid significant sums for their products and where blame isnt clear they often have to do the right thing but rarely without some kind of dispute.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales

He monitors the YT Industries UK FB page....that is probably worth a good look especially at the post that Richard Wilkins started this week ?

@Jedipip any news on the big secret or did I miss it ?

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
@Jedipip any news on the big secret or did I miss it ?

Slight issue with the launch party would be the Covid19 restrictions ?

Plenty out there about where it it’s located. We just have to wait until lockdown is undone I guess and then when we are allowed to congregate in a room with a load of strangers all will be well. So 2021 then?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Slight issue with the launch party would be the Covid19 restrictions ?

Plenty out there about where it it’s located. We just have to wait until lockdown is undone I guess and then when we are allowed to congregate in a room with a load of strangers all will be well. So 2021 then?
ive not seen anything about it since this thread. they got a UK unit somewhere down south right?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Seems like the half the bike world is located in an industrial park opposite Chessington World of Adventures so wouldn't surprise me if it was there

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
@dobbyhasfriends are you on the Facebook YT Industries page ? Loads of comments and some pics of the YT UK facility in Guildford.
That’s where I got first class service from, they are just hampered with a formal launch right now. Contractors on fit out and keeping staff safe is obviously going to drag right now.

ACF163DE-682A-46DC-9253-4E5E01E76CA7.png

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Hi, Great news for you UK guys getting a YT Service Center over there ?
I have a question a bit off this topic but hope someone with experience from both the Brose 2.1 motor and the Decoy shimano motor can answer. I have a 2019 Levo and a Decoy 2020. Ride them back to back all the time. However it feels like when I’m about to hit a steep hill and change to a high gear on the Decoy and spin my legs fast to engage the hill, the assistants from the motor drops significantly compared to the Brose where you can have as high cadence as you wish and still get super assists from the motor. Please share your experience with me if you have any on this. Is my shimano motor on the Decoy acting like everybody’s? Or is something wrong?
Cheers from Norway ??

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
@dobbyhasfriends are you on the Facebook YT Industries page ? Loads of comments and some pics of the YT UK facility in Guildford.
That’s where I got first class service from, they are just hampered with a formal launch right now. Contractors on fit out and keeping staff safe is obviously going to drag right now.

View attachment 30514
yea im on there mate, didnt see these!

reason im asking is because I have a decoy in my shopping basket right now :D :D

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
After reading this I wouldn't touch yt with a barge pole...glad it's all sorted for you..I absolutely would of loved a yt but online only had me completely disregard them,stunning buts of kit at an excellent price....

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
After reading this I wouldn't touch yt with a barge pole...glad it's all sorted for you..I absolutely would of loved a yt but online only had me completely disregard them,stunning buts of kit at an excellent price....

Well had you read it at all then you would have come to a different conclusion.

The motor can be replaced in the UK by Madison.

YT are as we speak opening a service center. So your online only comment is 100% wrong now.

I cant wait for YT's next gen bike with the likely new shimano motor. Ill pick one of those up on closeout even though i have only just got my current YT Decoy.

The Decoy is the one of the few gravity focused bike that isnt a Kenevo. Im doing 3-4 foot drops already on this bike and it just eats them up. The high end Fox suspension is superb and not even dialed it in yet. The ability to climb any slope and then go back down and do the jumps in a loop is game changing.

Ebikes will see rapid improvement over the next 5 years. Im not going to buy a £8000 bike when the tech is still so rough. You only have to talk to my mate who is on his 7th Brose motor to see how much of a lemon you can end up with. You do not get any extension of warranty either and he has been without his bike for weeks at a time as no stock of motors/parts and the bike shop isnt much help when he was stuck at the bottom of a mountain with no power and a 23kg bike to pedal back up. 3 times this has happened to him.

I like the YT brand. Its marketing is clever and its bike designs are slick with seriously good spec. They set the company up to sell a bike that gives you what you pay for rather than focusing on max profit penny pinching like Santa Cruz or Specialized.

Im glad they exist and will support them especially now the UK service center is coming.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The biggest potential issue with the YT IMO is that the design of the frame means from what I can see you cant easily remove the the cable cover on the LHS side of the motor, which is one of the areas where a lot crud can collect, and clean it out. Lot of historical problems with the shimano motor come from crap collecting in this area and causing electrical problems.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles