YT Decoy (540 WH battery & Shimano E8000 motor)

Jmorgan95

Oct 10, 2020
Uk
Afternoon all

I’m looking for my first EMTB. Specifically the YT Decoy elite. The spec is incredible and I feel like it’s a great bike for the money, but the one thing that does worry me is the motor and 540wh battery.

I’m only 11stone (70kg) with my riding gear on, and the bike is 22.9kg (not the lightest but I’ve seen a lot heavier). Would the motor/battery significantly reduce the amount of riding I could get done on a single ride? I won’t be using it for 40 mile xc rides, I like to go to a set of trails and do laps. Probably looking at a maximum of 25-30 miles. I understand there’s lots of variables with elevation gain/gradient of climbs etc. I’m probably going to be in Eco mode unless on a steep climb.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You've posted in the Focus forum! :ROFLMAO:

With your light weight and a 504Whr battery I would not worry one bit about achieving that range. Just don't go charging up every hill in max Boost. Play around with the settings in the ETUBE app and find what works for you.

Jmorgan95

Oct 10, 2020
Uk
You've posted in the Focus forum! :ROFLMAO:

With your light weight and a 504Whr battery I would not worry one bit about achieving that range. Just don't go charging up every hill in max Boost. Play around with the settings in the ETUBE app and find what works for you.
?? I knew something wouldn’t of been right with my post ?

thanks for the response anyway ?? Much appreciated

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I think the battery is 540wh as it's Decoy's own, that would be plenty for 30 or even 40 mile rides, 40 miles is possible with the Focus 378wh battery.

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
I don't have a YT but I am a heavy dude (18 stone!) and get a good 20-25 miles out of the same motor and battery on a Merida, so I am sure you will get a lot more!

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
You’ll be fine! 45 miles and 5000ft is doable in eco and occasional trail, 50 miles is entirely on the cards with that as well. I’ve lined up a 100miler that has perhaps 80% of it along river/canal trails and a climb and descent across the Pennines. It’s really just about your own fitness, setting the bike up for efficiency and monitoring the usage. Enjoy those descents! It’s a beast. Even on the Focus forum ? - cheers guys - we all would like a lightweight battery option for those short blasts! ??

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
@Jmorgan95 - YT's 540 wh battery will be just fine for you. I'm 250 lbs and ride with a hydration pack/kit so probably 255-260# on the bike. If I'm flying solo on the Decoy, I usually run down 2 bars (of 5) riding mostly in trail mode over the course of 1-1.5 hrs and 10-15 miles. When I go out w/ my family or other analog buddies using off/Eco - it's more like 1 bar. You should get even better mileage with your lighter weight - easily 30+ miles depending on your assist and terrain. I run Eco in mid, Trail in low and Boost in mid settings. I hardly use Boost ever. The 8000 motor is plenty stout enough. Too much power sometimes, if anything.

Jmorgan95

Oct 10, 2020
Uk
@Jmorgan95 - YT's 540 wh battery will be just fine for you. I'm 250 lbs and ride with a hydration pack/kit so probably 255-260# on the bike. If I'm flying solo on the Decoy, I usually run down 2 bars (of 5) riding mostly in trail mode over the course of 1-1.5 hrs and 10-15 miles. When I go out w/ my family or other analog buddies using off/Eco - it's more like 1 bar. You should get even better mileage with your lighter weight - easily 30+ miles depending on your assist and terrain. I run Eco in mid, Trail in low and Boost in mid settings. I hardly use Boost ever. The 8000 motor is plenty stout enough. Too much power sometimes, if anything.
Thank you mate, great help ?

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Distance and elevation you can ride will be dependent on the trails (steep and technical climbs in trail mode definitely drain the battery more than going up a logging road in eco). I've done 50 rides on it now, and only twice have I drained the battery (4-5 hour rides). Usually I'm totally knackered anyway before I need to start worrying about the battery.

Honestly, the Decoy is the best purchase I've ever made. If I didn't have to work for a living, I'd be on it almost every day. I've mentioned the climbing - but did I mention how good it is going downhill? :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles