e8000 15mph vs 20 mph

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Does anyone know if the speed limitation resides in the motor or the controller? Will a motor from Europe work in a USA bike and provide support up to 20 mph? I don't see any motors available here in the USA but many on ebay from Europe. Seems like the Jam2 battery can be ordered from Italy too. Selling my Jam2 and trying to honestly answer some questions for a potential buyer. Thanks

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
It's in the motor. You can change controllers and all settings remain in the bike.

Gordon
Thanks Gordon. I can't find a USA motor listed anywhere online but since more than one USA manufacturer has used the e8000 there must be a way to order one. And even the former Focus dealers have some contacts to get some parts and maybe the motor is available from Focus. I did find the battery available from Italy for $825. including shipping but not the USA motor of course. My 2018 bike at 6000 miles is still in very good shape, no water or mud exposer here in SoCal and never power washed or heavily hosed down except for wheels. The bike predicts 40 mile range in ECO (set to medium) and when new that was 44 miles but ECO might have been set to low then. I've used a DIY range extender a lot the past year or so but I don't know of anything way to access battery health other than this. Thanks again, figured that might be the case.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Thanks Gordon. I can't find a USA motor listed anywhere online but since more than one USA manufacturer has used the e8000 there must be a way to order one. And even the former Focus dealers have some contacts to get some parts and maybe the motor is available from Focus. I did find the battery available from Italy for $825. including shipping but not the USA motor of course. My 2018 bike at 6000 miles is still in very good shape, no water or mud exposer here in SoCal and never power washed or heavily hosed down except for wheels. The bike predicts 40 mile range in ECO (set to medium) and when new that was 44 miles but ECO might have been set to low then. I've used a DIY range extender a lot the past year or so but I don't know of anything way to access battery health other than this. Thanks again, figured that might be the case.

Regions can be changed with ST Unlocker. In your case you wouldn't even be doing anything illegal.

Gordon

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Regions can be changed with ST Unlocker. In your case you wouldn't even be doing anything illegal.

Gordon
Yes, good point, thanks. I did look at ST Unlocker to check on battery health but it said for my early color display I would not be able to get any data. I know bluetooth never did work on this bike and had to buy the Shimano PC interface box to update firmware and settings.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Yes, good point, thanks. I did look at ST Unlocker to check on battery health but it said for my early color display I would not be able to get any data. I know bluetooth never did work on this bike and had to buy the Shimano PC interface box to update firmware and settings.

Did you not have the e8000 display? If so it didn't work with eTube Ride but it DID work with eTube project, which is where you adjust settings and firmware. The e5000 display which is monochrome didn't allow updates.

Gordon

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Did you not have the e8000 display? If so it didn't work with eTube Ride but it DID work with eTube project, which is where you adjust settings and firmware. The e5000 display which is monochrome didn't allow updates.

Gordon
Yes I use e-tube project with the PC interface module with the color e8000 display. First time I tried with bluetooth and my android phone it almost bricked my bike and kept trying to update the firmware every time it connected, failing and then re-installing the old firmware (luckily). I have not tried bluetooth since then with the e-tube project and always have used the expensive pc interface module from Shimano.

My former Focus dealer would not do it for me since I didn't buy my bike from him, jerk, so I had to buy the module to get it done, cost me $150.. It's a 2018 and I found that bluetooth on it was very sketchy. On my iphone app site the STUNlocker app said something about the early "color" Shimano displays would not yield any data thru Stunlocker so there is some issue there too. I had hoped to use Stunlocker to prove the battery still had lots of life to any potential buyers.

IMG_0716.JPG

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Yes I use e-tube project with the PC interface module with the color e8000 display. First time I tried with bluetooth and my android phone it almost bricked my bike and kept trying to update the firmware every time it connected, failing and then re-installing the old firmware (luckily). I have not tried bluetooth since then with the e-tube project and always have used the expensive pc interface module from Shimano.

My former Focus dealer would not do it for me since I didn't buy my bike from him, jerk, so I had to buy the module to get it done, cost me $150.. It's a 2018 and I found that bluetooth on it was very sketchy. On my iphone app site the STUNlocker app said something about the early "color" Shimano displays would not yield any data thru Stunlocker so there is some issue there too. I had hoped to use Stunlocker to prove the battery still had lots of life to any potential buyers.

View attachment 81625

Interesting. I use STUnlocker on my 2018 and 2019 e8000 bikes with no issues. I use it because eTube Project is shit, as you have experienced. I have the full licence for my 2019 bike which allows region changes although I have it currently set to default (Oz - 25kmh).

Gordon

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Does anyone know if the speed limitation resides in the motor or the controller? Will a motor from Europe work in a USA bike and provide support up to 20 mph? I don't see any motors available here in the USA but many on ebay from Europe. Seems like the Jam2 battery can be ordered from Italy too. Selling my Jam2 and trying to honestly answer some questions for a potential buyer. Thanks
My 2018 Commencal MetaPower's e8000 motor's torque sensor failed recently (at @2500 trail miles). Presently, there's no way to fix it that I can find, so I ordered an EU-spec'd (15.5mph) replacement e8000 motor from Germany (your price from Italy is far lower than what I paid, FWIW). Here's what I learned from the experience:

As stated above, the e8000's speed (country) and other such settings are in the motor's actual "controller," which is housed inside the motor, not in the display or assist-level switch. I recently found out that Bafang motors' mileage data is stored in the display, but that's another topic altogether...

I also have the e8000 color display, and was able to use STunlocker to change my new EU-spec'd e8000 motor's country setting (15.5mph) to US (20mph), but it took some doing because I mistakenly updated firmware from version 4.3.2 - all versions after that render the licensed version of STunlocker (and other 3rd party apps like eMax) useless.

From your posts above, it sounds like your Focus's existing motor's firmware has been upgraded beyond v4.3.2, which is likely why STunlocker won't work with it unless you replace your display with the monochrome e7000 display. Even if you did that, however, because Focus didn't use a Shimano battery, you probably won't get accurate battery health info from STunlocker.

The seller I got my new e8000 motor from specified that it came with firmware v4.3.2, but again, I mistakenly updated it before I knew that STunlocker couldn't change the motor's country (speed) setting as a result. Luckily I met a guy on a Fakebook Group page who guided me through "downgrading" the firmware back to 4.3.2, but I needed the SM-PCE1 or SM-PCE2 hard-wire interface to do so. Sounds like you have one of those - selling it with the Focus?

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My 2018 Commencal MetaPower's e8000 motor's torque sensor failed recently (at @2500 trail miles). Presently, there's no way to fix it that I can find, so I ordered an EU-spec'd (15.5mph) replacement e8000 motor from Germany (your price from Italy is far lower than what I paid, FWIW). Here's what I learned from the experience:

As stated above, the e8000's speed (country) and other such settings are in the motor's actual "controller," which is housed inside the motor, not in the display or assist-level switch. I recently found out that Bafang motors' mileage data is stored in the display, but that's another topic altogether...

I also have the e8000 color display, and was able to use STunlocker to change my new EU-spec'd e8000 motor's country setting (15.5mph) to US (20mph), but it took some doing because I mistakenly updated firmware from version 4.3.2 - all versions after that render the licensed version of STunlocker (and other 3rd party apps like eMax) useless.

From your posts above, it sounds like your Focus's existing motor's firmware has been upgraded beyond v4.3.2, which is likely why STunlocker won't work with it unless you replace your display with the monochrome e7000 display. Even if you did that, however, because Focus didn't use a Shimano battery, you probably won't get accurate battery health info from STunlocker.

The seller I got my new e8000 motor from specified that it came with firmware v4.3.2, but again, I mistakenly updated it before I knew that STunlocker couldn't change the motor's country (speed) setting as a result. Luckily I met a guy on a Fakebook Group page who guided me through "downgrading" the firmware back to 4.3.2, but I needed the SM-PCE1 or SM-PCE2 hard-wire interface to do so. Sounds like you have one of those - selling it with the Focus?
Thanks, yes I sold my sm-pce with the bike since the new owner will really need that to change things. The bike is gone now so I hope he never has to go thru a motor replacement, but all things break eventually, lol. It's running good now at 6000 miles.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Thanks, yes I sold my sm-pce with the bike since the new owner will really need that to change things. The bike is gone now so I hope he never has to go thru a motor replacement, but all things break eventually, lol. It's running good now at 6000 miles. Oh I did run stunlocker and it told me the bike was 15 mph assist. I don't think that's true and it's a US bike and always seemed to assist to 20 mph. It was just the free version of stunlocker and of course no battery information since it isn't Shimano
[/QUOTE

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Did u guys have any issues installing new motor? I've read that you have to buy from frame manfucaturer because there set up differently depending on angle the motor is installed or something like that?

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Did u guys have any issues installing new motor? I've read that you have to buy from frame manfucaturer because there set up differently depending on angle the motor is installed or something like that?
I did not buy my replacement motor from Commencal and had no motor mounting issues, nor have I heard of incompatibility between frame manufacturers' versions of the motor. This is not to say that some frames don't have weird adaptations, so maybe ask your bike brand?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles