Your thoughts on SRAM's new DB 8 brakes

RiderOnTheStorm

Anyone has tried the new SRAM DB8 mineral oil brakes (calipers, levers). I saw that many e-mtb brands are now fitting them on their 2023 models, from lower to higher end bikes. SRAM claims Code-like braking power. How do they compare with higher end brakes?
sram2.jpg

sram1.jpg

Last edited:

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I just got an analog Neuron with DB8 brakes and I can tell you first hand that they are:

Total dogshit.

They don't belong on any serious MTB and definitely not on an EMTB. They would be fine on a city bike. No stopping power at all. Not designed for one-finger riding.

RiderOnTheStorm

Ok it sounds like Sram saying that their new DB8 compare to the Code is BS :LOL::(.

I'm very surprised though that reputable emtb manufacturers fit these brakes on their entry to mid-range lines.

@tomato paste Were you using the sram 200mm rotors and sram pads bundled with the DB8 calipers and levers? Could the standard pads be part of the problem?

Last edited:

RiderOnTheStorm

Thank you all for the feedback on these new Sram DB8 brakes. This helped a lot as I couldn't find any unbiased reviews.

The DB8 sounded promising though, with attractive pricing (~$70), use of mineral oil rather than Dot fluid, performance close to Code brakes. What's not to like??

Confusing to me is why would reputable emtb brands decide to fit their $6K-$8K eMTBs with subpar brakes like these. Is the quality bar getting lower and lower for entry to mid range emtbs?

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Thank you all for the feedback on these new Sram DB8 brakes. This helped a lot as I couldn't find any unbiased reviews.

The DB8 sounded promising though, with attractive pricing (~$70), use of mineral oil rather than Dot fluid, performance close to Code brakes. What's not to like??

Confusing to me is why would reputable emtb brands decide to fit their $6K-$8K eMTBs with subpar brakes like these. Is the quality bar getting lower and lower for entry to mid range emtbs?
They are probably counting on the product being new, there being no reviews, and no alternative available. But yeah, I was shocked too. Should have bought the Spectral but it's head angle is now 64 degrees and I don't need a bike that slack.

I know, they are counting on rider ignorance!

Last edited:

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I thought SRAM said they were 10-15% (can't remember what exactly) less than you'd expect from Code's.

I thought Code's were so bad I was embarrassed to sell them so gave them away, but some people like them.

Think they're initially just OEM ?

The only good brakes from SRAM are Code RSCs.

SRAM should learn from Shimano on this one where their brakes are pretty much consistent from entry level to Saint/XTR.

Code Rs are so trash that you see them for sale all over the place, not sure who's buying them but clearly they're not aware of what's going on.

RiderOnTheStorm

@Mcharza Yep it does sound like it.

I see more and more eMTBs fitted with these DB8 brakes in this year's models. Just to name a few:
  • 2024 Vitus E-Mythique LT VRS, VRX
  • 2023 Orbea wild H20, M20
  • 2023 Canyon Spectral:ON CF 7
  • 2023 Canyon Strive:ON CFR
  • 2023 Scott Patron eRide 920
  • 2023 Scott Strike eRide 940
  • 2023 Cannondale Moterra 3
  • 2023 Thok Gram
  • 2023 YT Capra Core 1
  • 2023 Nukeproof Mega 297 carbon Elite
  • 2023 Focus JAM2 6.8
  • 2023 Raymon FullRay 9.0
[Updated above list]

Last edited:

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
I have them on a manual bike I have bought for fitness and morzine. They are ok but not up to the task of ebike.

I have had the codes taken off my ebike and the codes replace the db8.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
The LBS is booked until summer, so I'm tasked with swapping the DB8's with Shimano SLX. Never done brake install before, hoping I don't end up with a bunch of oil inside the frame when I pull the DB8 cables out 😂.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I think these are the best brake's to come to the market in a long time, lots of modulation and adjustment, I honestly don't know why private dissing them , folk don't have a clue nowadays 🙄

RiderOnTheStorm

I think these are the best brake's to come to the market in a long time, lots of modulation and adjustment, I honestly don't know why private dissing them , folk don't have a clue nowadays 🙄
Thanks for the feedback on the DB8 somewhat more positive 😄. How would you compare them with other entry or mid range models from other brands?

SummerMadness

Jul 18, 2022
kt2
I have a 2022 Spectral On - came with Code RS - absolutely awful brakes, dangerously so. Recently swopped them out for Shimano Saint's - light and day difference, plenty of 1 finger stopping power for an ebike and 92kg rider! Ignore what you hear about wondering bite points, they just need a proper bleed first. Picked them up in the UK for £135 per pair. Well worth the upgrade. Only decent version would be Code RSC but I am not trusting SRAM brakes anymore.

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
SRAM brakes are 9 times outta 10 just garbage. They are cheap for a reason. If price is a concern, I'd much rather have SLX or even Deore 4 pots over any SRAM brakes.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Thanks, everyone for the feedback on the DB8 brakes. From all the negative comments, it sounds like Sram released a lemon with these new brakes. Very disappointing.:(

Lots of riders here think brakes are junk if they aren’t an on/off switch. Codes (when bled properly) have a lot more modulation than shimano, so riders think they’re not as powerful. It’s what you’re used to/what you prefer. I used to sit in the shimano camp, but 5 years of abusing codes has made me appreciate modulation. Can’t comment on the new brakes thou.

The only good brakes from SRAM are Code RSCs.

SRAM should learn from Shimano on this one where their brakes are pretty much consistent from entry level to Saint/XTR.

Code Rs are so trash that you see them for sale all over the place, not sure who's buying them but clearly they're not aware of what's going on.

RSCs are the one brake I will never run, after a mate had sudden complete brake failure halfway down a bike park in Italy. The free stroke adjuster had vibrated round and disconnected the lever from the master cylinder, so absolutely nothing happened when you pulled the lever. Code Rs are very reliable and have decent power if they’re bled well, but most aren’t.

longpete

Jun 14, 2023
world
They brake very progressive(not on or of, not digital) what I like. Less power than Magura MT5/7 and SLX or XT 4 pots. Magura MT4 (2pots)has a little bit more power, deore(2pots) a bit less. They don't like the heat caused by very long steep technical descents and then they get loud. Me fully equipped and the bike weigh around 120kg. As long as you don't ride in the mountains and ride superfast they work ok. But you can find better for the same price.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles