Yakima StageTwo + Add-On vs ?

Brad L

Oct 21, 2023
Australia
I am looking for a 2" hitch rack that has a 2 bike carrying capacity that can be extended into a 4 bike carrier for (rarer) family adventures. Most often I would use the rack in the 2-bike configuration. We have a variety of bikes from ~26kg eMTB, dually MTB, Carbon roadies, through to 24" kids bike.

I've narrowed down my search to the Yakima StageTwo with the StageTwo +2 Add-On (AU$1400) or the Kuat NV Base 2.0 with the NV Base 2.0 X2 Add On (AU$1900).

My biggest concern with the Yakima StageTwo is that it looks difficult/time-consuming to install and uninstall the add-on; almost as if the add-on is designed to permanently live on the base rack. Does anyone have the StageTwo add-on, and how long does it take to install/uninstall the add-on? Do you take the add-on off the base rack? Would you recommend this rack and add-on?

Should I be considering another hitch rack option? (Note, I'm in Australia and 1Up racks don't seem to be an option)

Many thanks for your replies.

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
Personally those 3 should be forgotten. Simply because they are too far away from hitch and distance between trays is much too long, creating a huge increase in torque at the hitch. As hitch rating is about 8" from hitch pin, your tongue weight IS NOT A SYSTEM WEIGHT for the rack.

Anyway, take a looksee here but I recommend the 1UP Super/Heavy duty over EVERYTHING else unless you need more than 4 bikes, simply because of the torque at hitch, and this WILL create less grip for your front tires of the vehicle, which I can even feel on my 4x4 full size Lincoln Navigator. I have the 1UP Super duty double and 2 addons as well as Velocirax 6, simply because the 4 bikes is still shorter loaded up compared to the Velocirax.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles