Adapter to Hang Kenevo on Yakima Doubledown

rorohello

Nov 6, 2020
CA
Hi All,

I have an older Yakima Doubledown hitch rack, and my local Mike's Bikes here in Petaluma (smokers that they are) told me it would be fine to hang my brand new Kenevo Expert off this thing with some off-brand Chinese stepthrough frame adapter they sold me for like $30.

I've had it on the freeway like a dozen times already, and just noticed the adapter they sold me is only rated for 15kg!!!

Aside from flagging Mike's Bikes in Petaluma being total idiots (the GM there also told me to run the tires on it at like 17psi) I'm writing this post to ask if anyone is transporting their Kenevo (or similar 50lb e-bike) with a Doubledown style hitch rack here?? I've just ordered a Thule version of the adapter which says it's rated for 50lbs, but am I crazy to even be doing this in the first place?

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Yes you are. Get a Kuat NV or a One Up
IMG_5488.jpg

rorohello

Nov 6, 2020
CA
I kinda expected this response. But I also expected more dudes chiming in. Because dudes love to chime in re: their toys on the Interwebz. No one on this forum with a 50LB bike is hanging it??

I have to say, the adapter that was only rated at 15kg felt completely strong and safe. I'm going to keep doing it with the Thule adapter just to tick you guys off unless I get more responses.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
You're ok with the weight.
On a similar bike, haibike 180 travel, i had to put a2x4 under the yakima bar so my bike doesn't rock backwards. It works fine now.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I kinda expected this response. But I also expected more dudes chiming in. Because dudes love to chime in re: their toys on the Interwebz. No one on this forum with a 50LB bike is hanging it??

I have to say, the adapter that was only rated at 15kg felt completely strong and safe. I'm going to keep doing it with the Thule adapter just to tick you guys off unless I get more responses.

I have had two friends have non Electric bikes fall off hanger racks. It’s not worth it. I’m in a group of more than 20 riders of emtbs never seen a hanger rack used.

rorohello

Nov 6, 2020
CA
Ok fair enough. I'll start saving...
I didn't see Rod9301's response until now, but I'm glad I didnt pull the trigger on a $800 dollar rack. You guys are sorta ridiculous. The Yakima double down (that I paid $50 for) and the Thule adapter work great. It's sturdy as hell.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’m thinking this whole post is a front for an insurance upgrade.

Yes, that rack is perfect for a Kenevo!

ps this is what to expect from this forum.

7C11BA89-7F90-46D7-AE82-5CC8504A2401.jpeg

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I guess I should mention that I had one of these years before I bought my first ebike. My bikes moved around too much and occasionally a strap would come undone. That’s when I switched to my first Kuat.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles