Xx1 vs gx shifter and mech

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Evening all

ok so my turbo Levo came with NX Transmission and my Levo sl came with GX Transmission now personally these two feel world apart to me the nx feels terrible

I am looking to upgrade the shifter and mech (cassette and chain will remain the stock ones )

should I just upgrade to the GX which I like or go the whole hog and get the XX1 ????

can any give a opinion on if the XX1 Feels much nicer then a GX ??

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Agree with Steve. I had XX1 then GX and could feel no difference in shifting with the only difference being in the weight. Big difference in price.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
I've changed bikes and have an XX shifter now (even worse than NX). As soon as the GX are back in stock I will get one. I was going to get an XX1 but they weren't available either.

My previous GX drivetrain was excellent and I think the shifter should be enough to make it feel a lot nicer, I'll see how it goes otherwise I'll get the mech as well. I'm stuck with the NX cassette unless I start messing about with freehubs.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
What are the technical differences when going from GX -> X01 -> XX1? By looking at pictures the structure seems to identical but materials change from aluminium to carbon? Has anyone made a fact based study on this?

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
What are the technical differences when going from GX -> X01 -> XX1? By looking at pictures the structure seems to identical but materials change from aluminium to carbon? Has anyone made a fact based study on this?
I think it was World Wide Cyclery who posted a pretty decent video covering the basic differences. In terms of operation, there little (if any) between GX and up but better materials, a bit lighter and in some cases a better design.

NX and SX have notbale losses in shifting from GX. I would say GX is the first 'proper' Eagle drivetrain. It uses the same freehub as the higher models too, NX and SX use Shimano freehub bodies making it more expensive and more painful to upgrade.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think if you’ve got a shimano freehub on nx an upgrade to shimano Xt / slx would be cheaper and more reliable than the gx .
Anything above gx just seems to cost so much more for no gain , gx is more expensive than Xt and I don’t think it’s as good , certainly not when it gets a bit worn , old Xt keeps soldiering on while sram starts to play up and get fussy .

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Do you mean a complete drivetrain upgrade Kernow?
If your heading down that route ie new mech and shifter and you have a shimano compatible freehub for future use shimano is I think the way to go .
I think your existing cassette will work ok with shimano
It’s a case of costing the seperate parts of the system and working out the best route for future upgrades in terms of economy and ease of use and I think a lot starts at which freehub system you’ve got

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
If your heading down that route ie new mech and shifter and you have a shimano compatible freehub for future use shimano is I think the way to go .
I think your existing cassette will work ok with shimano
It’s a case of costing the seperate parts of the system and working out the best route for future upgrades in terms of economy and ease of use and I think a lot starts at which freehub system you’ve got
I have to admit, the thought did cross my mind, the Shimano gear does seem better value. However, I have already spent $130 on a gold XX1 chain to strut my stuff in my the carpark, so obviously I'll have to spend thousands buying more SRAM stuff now :p

What is also surprising is that I waaay prefer the cheap Shimano 4 pot brakes I have over the SRAM Code R's too. Maybe Shimano is where it's at!

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
Out of curiosity, what is so wrong with the NX?

Have tested both NX and GX and I found that the NX works pretty well in comparison. Is the issue that the NX gets worse after some wear?
It doesn't feel as nice or shift as cleanly as the GX set-up. Both of my set-ups are <100Km old. When I did some research, it appears to be a failry well known 'thing'. It's not horrible but the GX was quick, clean and precise.

I have adjusted the mech cable tension, limits, B-tension and the cables are fine.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I think it was World Wide Cyclery who posted a pretty decent video covering the basic differences. In terms of operation, there little (if any) between GX and up but better materials, a bit lighter and in some cases a better design.

In the video there was only comparison between X01 and XX1. There was no mention on better design. I'm suspecting that there's nothing technically better available when going up from GX.

I'm running GX shifter + GX derailleur and NX cassette. It's hard to to justify buying 70 eur XD-conversion kit to be able to fit 150 eur GX cassette.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I went from the Sram NX to the Shimano Xt (cassette, derailer, freewheel, chain, shifter.)
Apparently the cassette and chain allows me to shift under load easily. I’m having a difficult time accepting this so I still shift normally. Prices were good too.

mmcaleer

Sep 30, 2022
Texas
I have the GX shifter on my Turbo Levo Comp and hate it. It is mounted on the Matchmaker mount and the shifter levers are way too long. When you line up the brake lever, the shifter levers are behind your first thumb knuckle. I cut up my thumbs all the time. The shifter levers on the GX have sharp edges and cut your fingers. The X01 levers appear to be shorter and have rounded edges. Plus the X01 levers are adjustable. I suppose one solution would be to take the GX off the Matchmaker mount and put it on its own mount so you could move the shifter towards the forks so the shift levers line up with your thumb when on the grips. I will probably be purchasing the X01 this week. The other day I hit a big root at the wrong angle and face planted. While face planting, the sharp edges of the GX shifter lever cut a huge gash in my thumb. I have always used XT and XTR and never had the issues I have with the ergonomics of the SRAM.

UPDATE: I noticed that both the dropper post remote and the shifter have two mounting holes. I unbolted them from the Matchmaker mount and used the other mounting point which moved them inwards and away from my hands. Now the levers match up to my hand position better.

Hope this helps anyone else having this issue.

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I guess your talking cable shifting not AXS!
I am running an XX1 rear derailleur & would argue it’s stronger than GX or NX when it comes to getting a branch stuck I stopped & removed derailleur was fine!! I am running mine with XTR shifter yes Sram & Shimano mix fine at 12 speed
My XT setup on analogue bike need longer chain than XX1 derailleur to shift well approx 2 links both setups on Eagle cassettes one with XX1 chain one KMC on Shimano both setups shift well but xx1 better 😂

Betadine

Jan 21, 2023
Toowoon Bay
FWIW, my experience with GX and XO1 has been that the shifting feels very similar between the two. My beef with GX is that the clutch seemed to get weak very quickly and it ended up being so noisy on the trail flapping back and forward. I have had a better run so far with X01.

Specifically to your point, I’ve found the shifting to be very similar.

seanallgire

Nov 21, 2022
USA
No difference in derailleur performance, but the XO1 shifter is much nicer than the GX IMO. They both work well, but the XO1 has a nicer feel.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I suppose one solution would be to take the GX off the Matchmaker mount and put it on its own mount so you could move the shifter towards the forks so the shift levers line up with your thumb when on the grips.

Right? I guess some people enjoy the perceived benefits of having a "cleaner" cockpit with fewer clamps. Personally, I prefer the functionality of having each control located exactly where it needs to be.

I've probably had "integrated" clamps on all my bikes at one time or another, and they always end up in the parts drawer. The exception is the dropper lever on my main bike. It's ok, so I haven't bothered to change it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles