Wrong motor installed in Reaction Hybrid?

JayPee

Aug 14, 2023
Netherlands
Hello All,
I have a strange question. I recently noticed on my 2022 Reaction Hybrid Pro 625 that it says "Cargo Line"
When I look online at other bikes I always see "Performance CX". Is it possible that the wrong motor was installed.
I bought from new from an authorized cube dealer.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4775.jpg

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
That is weird, assuming this is your bike below it should have a Performance CX Gen 4:

Go back to the dealer and question them. My local dealer isn't too helpful with after sales but yours might be better.

I know Cube had some supply chain issues with the '22 bikes and were swapping components around a bit but to have a different motor would be a bit extreme.

Last edited:

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Those badges are just stuck on. Look at components in the flow app. It will tell you what drive you have.
Correct but you'd expect a new bike to have the correct motor cover on. A used bike I can understand if the wrong cover put back on because they are only stuck on with very weak double sided foam so just fall off.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Correct but you'd expect a new bike to have the correct motor cover on. A used bike I can understand if the wrong cover put back on because they are only stuck on with very weak double sided foam so just fall off.
I’ve bought bikes recently with the wrong spec brakes or drivetrain on. If this is all that’s wrong on it he’s not done bad!

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Performance wise the motors look similar but not the same. Looks like the Cargo's riding modes are ECo, Tour, Sport and Turbo whereas the Performance motor has EMTB instead of Sport, that's for '24 bikes anyway according to the link below but might be another clue as to which motor it actually is:

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Looks like the cargo line is more powerful. 400% compared to 340.

I'd walk away slowly whistling and not tell anyone.
True but has different riding modes I believe, I've it has a Sport mode but no EMTB mode. EMTB is a very popular mode for those riding off road. The extra torque won't mean much if it's being deployed at the wrong times because the motor thinks it's a Cargo bike in the city.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Plus resale value will prove affected if it's not equipped with the right motor. People will assume it's been messed with and probably move on to the next bike that doesn't have a Cargo motor and no EMTB mode.

If it was me I'd take a look in the Flow app if the bike is compatible with that and see what motor is showing up in there, if for some odd reason that shows a Performance motor and the bike has the right modes (I've EMTB mode) then I'd just order a Performance motor cover and replace that. If it shows a Cargo motor and/or doesn't have the correct riding modes then I'd be straight back the Cube dealer.

Last edited:

JayPee

Aug 14, 2023
Netherlands
Thanks for feedback,
So for my bike I don't have the ability to check with the app.
I had never considered the motor just had a badge/plate stuck on, so that's indeed where it may have gone wrong.
For the modes I do indeed have "EMTB" mode. I'm guessing the modes are strictly linked to the motor installed and are not some separate setting?

I reached out to Cube who basically refused to talk/discuss with me.
I've contacted my dealer and waiting on a reply, I'll update when I hear.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Thanks for feedback,
So for my bike I don't have the ability to check with the app.
I had never considered the motor just had a badge/plate stuck on, so that's indeed where it may have gone wrong.
For the modes I do indeed have "EMTB" mode. I'm guessing the modes are strictly linked to the motor installed and are not some separate setting?

Well that's extremely rude of Cube to not discuss it!!! The fact it has EMTB mode is probably a good sign that you have the right motor installed but the wrong cover, odd how that would even happen though on a new bike, I wouldn't think Bosch would stick the wrong cover on.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Be interested to see what your local dealer makes of it. Mines only a 10min drive from me so I usually just rock up with the bike if I have any kind of a problem.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
That's terrible service from Cube, I know they are a cheap brand but they should acknowledge you at least.

To answer your question that does look like a 2021/22 Bosch Cargo Line motor, its hard to tell with just one picture but it doesn't look like a performance line CX (as per what the specs say it should be).

The Cargo line was made for carrying loads up to 250kg on cargo bikes. (it's not built as a MTB motor although it will probably work as one) also the Cargo Line offers even more powerful support at low cadences. This makes it a lot easier to start pedaling uphill and accelerate with a heavy load on board.

I would be returning the bike ASAP and get what you actually paid for.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
The 625 isn't part of the new smart system, it uses the older system as far as I know.
Correct. I don’t know for certain with the reaction but my 22 cube stereo only came with the smart system in medium frames upwards as they couldn’t fit the 750 battery in the small frames. There’s still an app for both systems though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles