Cube Reaction Hybrid - Crank arm rubbing on motor case

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Hi Cube owners,

Recently had a motor replaced on my Cube Reaction Hybrid 500, and the crank arm non-drive side is ever so slightly rubbing on the plastic motor case. On my bike, there was never much clearance. A mm or two at most.
Is this usual? How much clearance do you have between crank arm and motor?
Also, wondering if it's easy enough to take apart the skid plate, case etc to tweak the motor's position, because it must be slightly misaligned for some reason...

Cheers, SR.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
My plan is to take the bash guard and outer case off to check that the motor is properly aligned in the frame. The motor was replaced due to the common Bosch CX problem with the bearing going. When I got the bike back after the repair, I had a lot of creaking when pedaling - Turns out most of the bolts that hold the case on were barely finger-tight, so it leaves me wondering whether the motor was screwed in properly...

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Does the bearing go because of jet washing or can it happen through normal use ? Sounds like you need to have a good look at your bike. Is there an online manual anywhere, for torque.settings and such ?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Does the bearing go because of jet washing or can it happen through normal use ? Sounds like you need to have a good look at your bike. Is there an online manual anywhere, for torque.settings and such ?

I probably *should not* have cleaned my bike so well! No jet wash, but i did you Muc Off and a hose all over my bike. What I didn't know was that the Bosch CX bearing cannot be serviced by the owner or even the bike shop - Bosch has to replace the motor!

In future, no hose, no Muc Off near the motor, and I plan to remove the chaining and regularly pack the seal behind with grease to minimize water getting in.

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
I probably *should not* have cleaned my bike so well! No jet wash, but i did you Muc Off and a hose all over my bike. What I didn't know was that the Bosch CX bearing cannot be serviced by the owner or even the bike shop - Bosch has to replace the motor!

In future, no hose, no Muc Off near the motor, and I plan to remove the chaining and regularly pack the seal behind with grease to minimize water getting in.

Definitely something to watch out for then.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles