Would you be willing to pay an "e-bike fee" to ride at MTB parks?

Would you be willing to pay an "e-bike fee" to ride at MTB parks?

• 1. Yes

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • 2. No. I am fine only riding at places that allow e-bikes

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • 3. No. I just ride anywhere I want, even if they don't allow e-bikes

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • 4. Other

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Endoguru makes a fair point and pay per run is ultimately fair, but I can't see a way to implement it. Honesty box? :unsure:
Charge per bike on entry, that will get those that want to pedal up every time. Even with an emtb, how many runs will they be able to do?
Then charge a lower amount per uplift. The rider could buy tickets, one per uplift. That will stop a timewasting exchange of money at the uplift point. At the end of the day the tickets can be held over for the next visit or exchanged for a refund. Car parks cost money to maintain, so car parking charges can be made to encourage those who wish to ride in. It wouldn't take much thinking to come up with charges that are cost and usage related that also maintain the margin stream that BPW requires to maintain the trails.

EezyRider

Sep 23, 2020
Lincolnshire
Charge per bike on entry, that will get those that want to pedal up every time. Even with an emtb, how many runs will they be able to do?
Then charge a lower amount per uplift. The rider could buy tickets, one per uplift. That will stop a timewasting exchange of money at the uplift point. At the end of the day the tickets can be held over for the next visit or exchanged for a refund. Car parks cost money to maintain, so car parking charges can be made to encourage those who wish to ride in. It wouldn't take much thinking to come up with charges that are cost and usage related that also maintain the margin stream that BPW requires to maintain the trails.

BPW do charge on entry, and for your payment you receive a sticker to put around your bars. PRe Covid you could buy single uplifts if there was space on the vehicle. But you would still pay the park fee.
To apply a pay per run policy to other park users is impractical and impossible to police as almost all the trails intersect fire roads so you could session each section several times before finally arriving at the finish. Also the fact that not all the trails end at the same point.
Basically, you sign up in advance (usually) and accept the charges, you know you might get 1 or 2 or 10 or more runs.... YOU pay your money...

I had a mate crash bad on his second run, resulting in the day being cut short for 3 of us.... should we ask for a partial refund? Or it’s raining and I have had enough after 3 runs should I ask for some money back?

I pays my money...

The guy above who compared BPW with Dalby, there is no comparison, Dalby is a “trail centre” and as I understand it is on public land managed for us by the forestry commission. BPW is a “bike park” on private land owned and managed by a private entity for profit.
Not to mention the trails at each are worlds apart.
Dalby is one of my local ish trails, BPW is a 10 hour + roundtrip.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I have paid at a couple of locations but I do object and as a consequence I do not visit them as often as I might otherwise so what they gain in one way they lose in another.

Last edited:

Tedgar

Dec 29, 2019
Sebring, Florida
The haters are a dying breed and I am a damn Boomer. If they don't allow ebikes in their parks they will die and fade away just as their lack of support does.

US ebike friendly parks like Kanuga and Bentonville are light years ahead of the old places that hate like Pisgah and Tsali.

Let them beg us to join their parks!

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
FlyUp 417 near Gloucester charges £17.50 + 0.50 admin for EMTB's. I think this is excessive considering there are only a few trails and they are quite short.

MrSpoon

May 20, 2020
UK
FlyUp 417 near Gloucester charges £17.50 + 0.50 admin for EMTB's. I think this is excessive considering there are only a few trails and they are quite short.

That’s not a fair statement in my mind. They charge £15 +0.5 for analogue bikes with the assumption they will use/pay for the uplift on top of that.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Whats unfair? It's a statement of fact followed by a personal opinion. I'm not prepared to pay that much for what they are offering but I am more inclined to pay at BPW for what they offer. Longer trails and many more of them.

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Whats unfair? It's a statement of fact followed by a personal opinion. I'm not prepared to pay that much for what they are offering but I am more inclined to pay at BPW for what they offer. Longer trails and many more of them.

This thread is about premiums for EMTB's, so not stating what the price is for analogue bikes makes the post irrelevant to the dicussion. If you'd said you're not prepared to pay an additional £2.50 premium on top of the alalogue price then that would have been a different matter.

MrSpoon

May 20, 2020
UK
You stated a cost, without providing context. The delta between the two is key, not the absolute cost.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles