Would you buy a bike that can't be derestricted ?

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
I'm sure there's plenty of experts out there but here's one I defy anyone to explain.

How does derestricting a ebike wear it out quicker ?
As most ebike motors are restricted it means they are capable of much more . I mean if not how comes you can derestrict them 🤔

Kepler

Sep 8, 2019
Australia
I would if my only purpose for the bike was just trail riding. 25kph (Australia) is just fine. I have a Trek Fuel EXe with a speed sensor mod with the only down side being the speed reading. Out on the tracks it makes no difference. However, perhaps once or twice a month I want an easy commute to work. Normally I am on my analogue road bike and average 29kph for the hour ride. I wont lie, this is a workout. However there are some days i just want to chill. Still averaging 29kph (on a bike that handle and stops much better then a road bike), the de restricted Fuel EXe is a dream. I still get overtaken by a dozen scooters on the commute so I don't really feel like too much of a rebel. Sure, I am taking a small risk in the unlikely event of having or causing an incident that is attended by the law but I am happy to accept this.

To be clear though., I am taking about commuting at a max of 32kph (20mph) not 50kph which I definitely do not agree on.

simonsmidt

Aug 8, 2023
Overijse
No, as I didn't find a need for it (yet). I have a light-eMTB with a 360Wh TQ motor, which doesn't 'brake' when passing 25km/h.
However, being curious: can that TQ be derestricted?

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Would you buy a bike that can't be derestricted ? I would not.
Is there such a thing the answer is yes and no any bike can be derestricted if you know how to do it. The thing is it's the illegal part and the warranty being void that may stop you. Anyway my bikes aren't derestricted it's the 10 tooth and me that makes them go fast. Yes i'm in the US 20 MPH and there is a class for 28 MPH. Keep in mind that's the assisted limit not the top speed. So for most people it kinda shouldn't a factor. I will add I have not had to deal with the lower 15Mph which may be a factor

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Yes I have no choice if I want to use a ebike for commuting and pleasure in the terrain. If I get cought with a derestricted ebike I get a ~$1000 fine and ebike confiscated for ever and if I'm in a accident I got no insurance and therfore have to pay for all the damage on property and humans which can in worst case be millions and ruin me.
25 km sucks I would be very happy at 32 km.

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
Yes I have no choice if I want to use a ebike for commuting and pleasure in the terrain. If I get cought with a derestricted ebike I get a ~$1000 fine and ebike confiscated for ever and if I'm in a accident I got no insurance and therfore have to pay for all the damage on property and humans which can in worst case be millions and ruin me.
25 km sucks I would be very happy at 32 km.
Who pays if you cause an accident on your restricted bike?

twistgripper

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
In Oz, you’d be riding an illegal bike. If something happened and you hurt someone, that would count against you and you could end up in jail. Not to mention that we’re allowed to ride our bike everywhere any pedal bike is. Illegal bikes could change that. They already cause enough agro with the throttle bikes racing around the cities, often on footpaths, delivering food. We have essentially no haters here on the trails. Bikes are bikes. But if we get bikes doing stupid moto like speeds we could end up like the US. No thanks.

Would I like my bike to be 32kmh? Absolutely. But I’m not breaking the law just because I feel I’m entitled. Some rules I don’t like. Some I do. I don’t pick and choose which ones I obey.

Gordon
you seem to have the mistaken idea that people want to do 50kph on the trails...no sir this is mainly for the road. its safer to keep up with traffic. don't ride like an idiot and we wont generate negative images of ebikes.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
you seem to have the mistaken idea that people want to do 50kph on the trails...no sir this is mainly for the road. its safer to keep up with traffic. don't ride like an idiot and we wont generate negative images of ebikes.
1. I’m not disagreeing that 32kmh would make more sense, especially on the road. 25kmh on the road isn’t enough if you’re in traffic. Especially on bike hating Australian roads. That doesn’t change my opinion that while I would like the limit raised here, that I don’t pick and choose which laws I abide by. I don’t subscribe to the entitled attitude that I can pick and choose which rules I abide by. That’s the compromise living in a society comes with. I used to commute by bike to work for years in Sydney before eBikes existed. I know exactly what it’s like on our roads.
2. Unfortunately I already know of a couple of unrestricted bunyips who scream past other riders on the trail at waaaaay over the legal assist limit. They’re a menace. A minority sure but a loud one. I get that most aren’t but it only takes a few. Also I have met more than a few new riders on the trail where even 25kmh is too much assistance and they’re not good enough to ride at that speed. We find them upside down in a ditch. That was me 5 years ago.
3. My Fazua gravel bike is easy to pedal above the limiter on road, because it has the right tyres on it. I regularly sit in the mid 30’s kmh on the road. It’s no more difficult than my analogue road bike when up to speed. If I ride on the road to my local on my L:evo, eZesty or Forestall, I accept that the draggy tyres are the biggest issue, not the motor. And without the motor I’d average half the speed. I can just accept that I’m out on a bike and ride to the trail at a relaxed pace.

Gordon

obiwun

Mar 22, 2021
Australia
25kph is unacceptable for an electric mountain bike, it leaves no choice but to derestrict our bikes here in Aus. My ten or so emtb buddies all have derestricted bikes. I can't comment on commuter bikes because I only ride my emtb on trails. I would not buy a bike that cannot be derestricted. emtb should have a different rules to commuters and scooters. I think emtb has been unfairly legislated because it is a new phenomenon, if they tried to restrict our cars to 110kph there would be an outcry.

TQFreak

Dec 2, 2022
USA
People care so much about restricting the speed assistance level on the electric bicycles while 99% of people drive their cars above the speed limit and get angry if somebody in front of them drive under the speed limit restriction.

Last edited:

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
People care so much about restricting the speed assistance level on the electric bicycles while 99% of people drive their cars above the speed limit and get angry if somebody in front of them drive under the speed limit restriction.
A car is a car a bicycle get to a point when it's not a bicycle anymore is part of the difference.

Mars2

May 16, 2023
La Ciotat France
This speed limit discussion is so stupide!!!
because:
- I can pedal my road bike at 45KM/h on flat road. this is LEGAL!
- I can take a road bike down a pass at 60km/h.This is LEGAL!
- I can drive down hill single track with My restricted EMTB at 60KM/h. This is Legal!
- But I can't drive a EMTB derestricted downhill above 25Km/h to get this little help on some flatter area!!! This is not Legal!

That is why I only follow rule that make at least a tiny bit of sense. Sorry I'm not brain washed main stream guy. I still know how to use that thing in between my ears.
I'm ready to assume all the consequence's. I'm not a pet I have a brain and try to use it.
I will never ever follow stupid rule.

esselite

Jan 23, 2023
Poland
It has some sense at the end.
On derestricted e-bike, any one who has no experience can go max speed, loose control and kill someone.

On Road bike, usually pro riders with big experience, who knows how to control the bike can have enough power to keep going 45km/h. They have thousands of hours spent in the saddle, to be that powerful and efficent, so they know how to behave and avoid troubles.

Newbies on e-bikes could be dengarous without support limit.

twistgripper

Aug 7, 2019
Canada
It has some sense at the end.
On derestricted e-bike, any one who has no experience can go max speed, loose control and kill someone.

On Road bike, usually pro riders with big experience, who knows how to control the bike can have enough power to keep going 45km/h. They have thousands of hours spent in the saddle, to be that powerful and efficent, so they know how to behave and avoid troubles.

Newbies on e-bikes could be dengarous without support limit.
You make riding a bike sound equally technical as flying a fighter jet - be serious.

At some point you have to stop trying to legislate stupidity;

25kph is far too fast for riding on a busy multi use trail (with pedestrians) - so we need a new law to restrict ebikes to 5kph when pedestrians are nearby, via electronic sensors, yes that will add $200 to the price of the bike but hey its all for public safety right?

Tires can go flat and cause an accident - and is very common. air filled tires should be made illegal. foam tires for everyone from now on by law.

Earbuds can prevent someone from hearing a bell - headphones must be made illegal.

why arent these laws in place!!!???

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
This speed limit discussion is so stupide!!!
because:
- I can pedal my road bike at 45KM/h on flat road. this is LEGAL!
- I can take a road bike down a pass at 60km/h.This is LEGAL!
- I can drive down hill single track with My restricted EMTB at 60KM/h. This is Legal!
- But I can't drive a EMTB derestricted downhill above 25Km/h to get this little help on some flatter area!!! This is not Legal!

That is why I only follow rule that make at least a tiny bit of sense. Sorry I'm not brain washed main stream guy. I still know how to use that thing in between my ears.
I'm ready to assume all the consequence's. I'm not a pet I have a brain and try to use it.
I will never ever follow stupid rule.
you can do the same with your ebike just the assistants shuts off at a certain speed. While there are some laws that are stupid or seem stupid who should get to determine that?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
you can do the same with your ebike just the assistants shuts off at a certain speed.
Really? :ROFLMAO:

While there are some laws that are stupid or seem stupid who should get to determine that?
I did that for myself. Easily.

Even the idea that I would first buy an expensive emtb and then ride against the 25kmh limit in the forest meanwhile in some other country the very same limitation was 32kmh. That was too much.

At the same time I can fully understand why someone else would never do it but that's their own business.

RiderOnTheStorm

Would you buy a bike that can't be derestricted ? I would not.
Where's this thread heading to? What's fhe expected outcome?

Is OP looking for the forum members' stance about law compliance regarding e-bike speed limitations? Stirring some legal debate?

In other words, it seems the OP is indirectly asking who would buy an e-bike with the intention of tempering with the speed limiter, hence rendering it illegal to use in public areas and therefore breaking country laws.

Last edited:

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023

Even the idea that I would first buy an expensive emtb and then ride against the 25kmh limit in the forest meanwhile in some other country the very same limitation was 32kmh. That was too much.

At the same time I can fully understand why someone else would never do it but that's their own business.

someone may have missed my point it may have gone over there head . Anyway perhaps the law could be changed if enough people got being that effort.

Lonski

Aug 19, 2023
Brisbane, AU
you can do the same with your ebike just the assistants shuts off at a certain speed.
I so wish this was the case on my 2023 Giant Trance X Advanced E+ 1.

I live in Australia, with the 25Km/h limit, and I can freewheel way over that. But as soon as I start pedalling over that speed, the bike will pull my speed back to 25Km/h no matter how much effort I put into the drivetrain. It's like the brakes are being applied at the least appropriate time.

25Km/h is it for me.

It's no wonder many derestrict their bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles