Would I benefit from a new bike?

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
Obvious answer to the question is yes - who doesn't want a new toy! But will I notice a big difference? I have a Scott Genius 920 2022, I do trail riding on byways and bridleways on the lanes and hills of Wiltshire a few times a week, typically 25-30 miles about 95% off road. The Scott is great - solid, good brakes and the Bosch CX does all I could wish for.

Coming from a motorcycle trail riding background, I know how important suspension is - and that's where I wonder if I am missing out on the Scott Genius. I believe the suspension (Fork FOX 36 Rhythm 150 mm & Rear Shock FOX Float Performance 150 mm) is a bit compromised as far as overall performance due to internals used. I certainly feel a lot of shakes and rattles when going over uneven surfaces.

So I'm wondering if upgrading to another bike with better suspension would make much of a difference (I have no refernce point to compare with) and also if the models with a Bosch CX with 750 battery really adds a good amount of range?

Really like the Bosch motor so don't think I would change but interested if the Levo is a good reliable option.

Or is the Scott Genius fine for what I do!??!! :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I know that new stuff is very seductive, but are you certain that you are getting the best out of your current suspension?

Take a look at this:

If you are certain that you are getting the best, then consider upgrading your existing suspension first.
However, that may not be possible if your existing suspension is already the top model.
Then it's time to think about a new fork and/or shock and selling the old ones. Changing both might not be necessary, probably only the fork. Unless you are brand obsessive, there is no need to have the same brand of suspension front and rear. There are lots to choose from. Consider upping the stanchion size to 38 from your current 36.

A new stiffer and plusher fork will transform your ride without breaking the bank. And you have the old fork to sell. :)

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
38mm fork and coil shock will fix your itch. I have Rockshox Zeb A2 and Ohlins TTX22m.2 coil so when it get really bumpy/shakes and rattles I know it's not the suspension to blame, gotta be either the trail getting washed out or me. Seems to me that when there's heavy rain following a dry spell then trails get washed out leaving more protruding stones. Is what we get on the South Downs with loose chalk washed away leaving more exposed flint.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
A new fork will be a big upgrade. I personally wouldn't get a 38 mm fork for the riding you describe, or indeed for any riding by a mere mortal. The Fox 36 will be lighter, plusher, and far more compliant than any of the beefier options, and is more than stiff enough.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@kipperkendall I have just read the post by @Growmac and then I re-read your post. I have to say that I agree with Growmac. If what you do is byways and bridleways, then you sure don't need a 38. Maybe not even a 36. I would consider a top of the range Rockshox with 35mm stanchions, either a Pike Ultimate or even a Lyric. You will certainly save weight and cash too. But the best bang for your buck will be to ensure that the existing fork is as good as it can be, even if you have to upgrade it with a better damper. We are talking a few hundred pounds max vs many hundreds for a new fork and thousands for a new bike.

I rode all over the place for many years on different mtbs, first on a Pike and then later on a Pike Ultimate. I never noticed any problems with stiffness, nor lack of plushness.

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
@kipperkendall I have just read the post by @Growmac and then I re-read your post. I have to say that I agree with Growmac. If what you do is byways and bridleways, then you sure don't need a 38. Maybe not even a 36. I would consider a top of the range Rockshox with 35mm stanchions, either a Pike Ultimate or even a Lyric. You will certainly save weight and cash too. But the best bang for your buck will be to ensure that the existing fork is as good as it can be, even if you have to upgrade it with a better damper. We are talking a few hundred pounds max vs many hundreds for a new fork and thousands for a new bike.

I rode all over the place for many years on different mtbs, first on a Pike and then later on a Pike Ultimate. I never noticed any problems with stiffness, nor lack of plushness.
Thanks for the replies - I guess it's that mystery of what a really good set of forks feels like that is the alure! If I changed, I would probably buy second hand as there are some great low use bikes around at great prices. For example a Trek Rail 9.8 on this site - great reviews and ideal for my type of riding, although I may get to do more adventurous trails in Wales at some stage!

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I ride a Trek Rail 9.8 hard with a Fox 36e on it, and I just came back from 6 days riding in the Alps on a coil converted Lyric Ultimate. I've never once felt I needed a bigger fork, and we were running the reds pretty fast according to Strava.

Steve makes a good point. You've already got a good chassis, you could get a Grip2 damper for your Fox 36 and it would be lovely. Coil convert it and even more so. Full Factory Suspension coil converted my Lyric for me and it's superb. You could ring them, or TF, and see what they can do for you. Would be cheaper than a new fork.

GeordieKenevo

May 12, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks for the replies - I guess it's that mystery of what a really good set of forks feels like that is the alure! If I changed, I would probably buy second hand as there are some great low use bikes around at great prices. For example a Trek Rail 9.8 on this site - great reviews and ideal for my type of riding, although I may get to do more adventurous trails in Wales at some stage!
If you are in Wales head to a bike park like Dyfi and you will soon realise the bike you have is far more capable than you are in most cases 👍

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
I ride a Trek Rail 9.8 hard with a Fox 36e on it, and I just came back from 6 days riding in the Alps on a coil converted Lyric Ultimate. I've never once felt I needed a bigger fork, and we were running the reds pretty fast according to Strava.

Steve makes a good point. You've already got a good chassis, you could get a Grip2 damper for your Fox 36 and it would be lovely. Coil convert it and even more so. Full Factory Suspension coil converted my Lyric for me and it's superb. You could ring them, or TF, and see what they can do for you. Would be cheaper than a new fork.

That’s great advice and they are based within a bike ride to me!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I'm not sure of the level of crazy or tech that you ride. It doesn't sound like you are pushing hard on difficult terrain.
If not better suspension will be of limited use. Middle of the road suspension is perfectly fine for people just ridding along.

Unless there is something about the suspension that you dont like. eg rough riding, sore hands due to vibration etc.

If this is the case then my suggestion is to upgrade the suspension rather than buy a whole new bike. Upgrade to the highest spec damper in what ever brand you are looking at. In fox thats the "factory" forks for Rockshox thats the "ultimate"

Then next level above the standard brands is the bespoke custom tuned brands like EXT. Put an EXT coil shock tuned to your riding style on the back of that bike and will be buttery smooth!

RiderOnTheStorm

I would say, keep the Genius and upgrade only the components that you outperform, or wait until they break down and replace them with slightly higher-end parts. ;)

The Scott Genius 2022 is a great base, has a well-designed frame, and comes with the non-smart Bosch CX Gen. 4 motor. It's a keeper in my opinion!

I personnaly ride a Scott eRide Strike also for 2022. I think Scott's design, build quality and component selection are of outstanding value for trail or light mountain use. 👍

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
I would say, keep the Genius and upgrade only the components that you outperform, or wait until they break down and replace them with slightly higher-end parts. ;)

The Scott Genius 2022 is a great base, has a well-designed frame, and comes with the non-smart Bosch CX Gen. 4 motor. It's a keeper in my opinion!

I personnaly ride a Scott eRide Strike also for 2022. I think Scott's design, build quality and component selection are of outstanding value for trail or light mountain use. 👍

That’s really helpful as I’m trying to figure where the Scott sits as a unit to build on. By the sounds of it, it’s a good base - which I want sure about.

I love the motor, brakes are sound and riding position good. Suspension is set up but just feels harsh on some areas. I’m hoping to tackle more technical trails in time as I used to do quite hard motorcycle trail riding. So building the bike ready for that would be good.

I’m going to follow up on an earlier suggestion and contact Full Factory Suspension to see about upgrading Suspension.

Thanks again

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Stick a coil conversion in your current fork. The Rhythm is the same internals as the Marzocchi Z1 so that's the cheapest way to do it. The Vorsprung Smashpot has more spring weights to chose from and hydraulic bottom out (although it doesn't sound like you need that) but costs more.

Clean

Subscriber
Jul 1, 2022
West Yorkshire
I upgraded the Fox 34 Rhythm Forks and Float X Shock, on my Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 to 36 Factory Forks and Factory DPX2 Shock and it completely transformed my ride. It was not cheap but was worth every penny.

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
Thanks for all the feedback. So what I’ve learnt is that the Genius is a good e-bike with an excellent motor and good chassis. Suspension is good but can be upgraded cost effectively to create a really nice package.

So I’ve booked the bike in with Full Factory Suspension to have a Grip 2 upgrade, shock tuned and a general service.

I’ll update once done and I’ve had a chance to try it out. Cheers all

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
As I'm sure you are aware, fine tuning your current shock can make a huge difference. A friend of mine and I bought a Shock Wiz for a few hundred dollars. You screw it into your air valve, connect it to your phone via bluetooth, set how you want your suspension to feel (i.e. plush, poppy, etc.) and go ride for a few hours. It measures how your shock responds on your bike on your trails with your body weight and will make suggestions on air pressure, compression, rebound, etc. For both of us, it vastly improved our ride feel with the same suspension we were using before. May work for you to get the most out of the equipment you've got.

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
As I'm sure you are aware, fine tuning your current shock can make a huge difference. A friend of mine and I bought a Shock Wiz for a few hundred dollars. You screw it into your air valve, connect it to your phone via bluetooth, set how you want your suspension to feel (i.e. plush, poppy, etc.) and go ride for a few hours. It measures how your shock responds on your bike on your trails with your body weight and will make suggestions on air pressure, compression, rebound, etc. For both of us, it vastly improved our ride feel with the same suspension we were using before. May work for you to get the most out of the equipment you've got.

Sounds interesting tool. I think once they are upgraded something like that would be useful

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Just bear in mind that the Grip 2 can be a PITA to set up (he speaks from experience). High and low speed rebound and compression - ask for some base settings when you collect.
Once you get your head around what they do then it's actually not that bad. Compression is easy. High speed wide open, low speed a small number of clicks (FFS will advise) to keep the front end up in berms and under braking.

Rebound is slightly more complicated, so start from what FFS suggest.

Low speed rebound (the smaller knob) controls how quick the fork rebounds from small bumps like braking bumps. You need it fast enough that the fork doesn't pack down on repeated small hits. You'll notice a massive difference how plush the fork feels as you get it right, night and day. Adjust one click at a time until you hit magic carpet.

High speed rebound is used to control the fork when you smash through the travel. Landing from big jumps, gong through rocks, or hitting large exposed roots, that sort of thing. High speed rebound (the larger knob) stops the fork kicking back at you. If you feel that you're bouncing off the ground when you land, or if the bike fights you like a pogo stick when you're going through a slower rock garden, you need more damping. Again, once you figure out what you're changing, the difference is night and day. Fin can help you get the sag set for your weight, and then you can crudely sort the high speed rebound by compressing the fork hard and adjusting so that there's no bounce on rebound. What you want will likely be within a click either way of that point.

kipperkendall

Jun 23, 2023
England
UPDATE

I got the upgraded at Full Factory Suspension http://www.fullfactory.bike/

Fin did an excellent job. I did a 35 mile trail ride, including some interesting rocky trails and the suspension feels very smooth. Soaks up the small bumps and handles the big stuff really well. Very pleased.

Would recommend Fin and FFS - top guy.

Thanks for all the info and advice

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
UPDATE

I got the upgraded at Full Factory Suspension http://www.fullfactory.bike/

Fin did an excellent job. I did a 35 mile trail ride, including some interesting rocky trails and the suspension feels very smooth. Soaks up the small bumps and handles the big stuff really well. Very pleased.

Would recommend Fin and FFS - top guy.

Thanks for all the info and advice
Result!...

What ive learnt over the years is pay the $$ for the good suspension. If you can afford custom tunes.... do it.
If you suspension isnt right everything else doesn't matter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles