ABS on a bike. Would you?

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Yes the exact same thing was said when ABS started being introduced onto cars... don't need it, if you know how to pulse the brakes you're fine.......... lol

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
It's a constant source of amusement how many people compare emtb's to motorcross. Yet I'm still to find the emtb guy doing 60mph on a mud track with 100mm tyres, and I haven't met the motorcross guy doing 4mph down a wet rock slab :D

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
I chuckled when you showed the crash, glad you were okay, because I was thinking throughout the review "I bet the first time you get back on a bike with non ABS brakes you'll kill yourself" 😃

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Yes I would. I'm frankly not a very skilled mountain biker as the only decent terrain is too far away for me to ride often enough to improve my skills. And when I'm there, it's usually wet and rooty. So, yes, anything that might help me avoid losing the front wheel and landing flat on my face again would be appreciated.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Not until it looks part of the bike rather than some 'Heath Robinson' bolt on after thought, by which time I'll probably have a couple more wheels on my E motor.

the new shots on the forks with the built in mounts look a lot better.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Integrated ABS mounts on this SR Suntour

64B77544-6521-4E5D-AB67-259E8651778F.jpeg

AEB49609-806B-4BE6-97C6-3051BBCA699D.jpeg

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Definitely in favor on my slippery as snot, always wet roots/rocks. With my need for speed, front washouts are most common cause of crashes that aggravate old shoulder injuries & make sleep painful. If I would just slow down...but where's the fun in that? :p
Haven't crashed in months with the new '22 Levo geometry that finally fits my long torso, but would enjoy the descents even more with this. I predict us older gents & gals will love it. Younger chargers will have to beat their bodies up some more to feel the need.

Hugo Last

Oct 19, 2019
Effingham
Sounds like something else to go wrong. E bikes seem to have come to the market before they have proven reliability off road in a hostile environment, so this looks very iffy to me

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
The advantages of ABS are clear, no way to miss that.
But the system adds 2 speed sensors to the bike, and that's something I really don't want.

Ballantin

Oct 12, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
If it can keep my face from burying itself into the ground at speed I am up for it. I don't care if it makes me stop faster or slower. I just don't want to lose my front wheel.
I have more than 100k km on a Honda CBR that does not have ABS and have luckily saved most of my front wheel slides, but not all of them. One of the most terrifying sensations of riding a motorbike and an associated fear that I am pretty sure limits me in the trails with my mtb/embt as well.
I do shiver with all those shiny roots and rocks and is not from excitement.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
No, I want¨s keep my bikes as simple as possible, so no electronic suspension, seatposts, gears, tire pressure systems or what ever. It took some time before I allowed myself to install lights directly to the motor :D

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I would certainly pay the extra for it for my wife's bike. She doesn't ride as much as me, and I tend to drag her out on trails that challenge her abilities. Also, after a front brake incident on gravel where she broke her shoulder joint, she has a mental issue with steep gravel surfaces. So, I think it would be absolutely made for someone like her.
For me... If someone gave it to me, I'd use it! I just hate all the extra wiring, electronics, sensors etc on the bike. I tend to buy things and use them till they die rather than replacing every year or two, so it is more crap to keep working.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles