Would ep801 put you off buying a bike ?

paske

Apr 2, 2021
Belgium
I have an Orbea rise M20 with the EP8 RS for almost three years now and have done 3800km with it. I was very happy with this motor until it failed a few weeks ago. My LBS was able to warranty it even if the 2 years limit has long passed! The motor was replaced and I even had nothing to pay - no work hours, nothing!
I thought I had to share this experience because when I made my first ride I didn't recognize the motor, it looks that it was more powerful than before. In fact, it appears that it had started to fade months ago but I thought that was me which was fading (age, injuries etc...). I knew that a motor can die, shit happens sometimes, but never thought it can fade little by little!
So, do I will purchase a bike with this motor? I don't know, maybe. Depends of the bike I want...

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
I have an Orbea rise M20 with the EP8 RS for almost three years now and have done 3800km with it. I was very happy with this motor until it failed a few weeks ago. My LBS was able to warranty it even if the 2 years limit has long passed! The motor was replaced and I even had nothing to pay - no work hours, nothing!
I thought I had to share this experience because when I made my first ride I didn't recognize the motor, it looks that it was more powerful than before. In fact, it appears that it had started to fade months ago but I thought that was me which was fading (age, injuries etc...). I knew that a motor can die, shit happens sometimes, but never thought it can fade little by little!
So, do I will purchase a bike with this motor? I don't know, maybe. Depends of the bike I want...
Are you sure they’ve programmed the motor with the RS firmware? Does the E-Tube app show 60Nm max, or 85 when tweaking the profiles?

Vlad

Sep 8, 2020
Prague
I'm choosing a new ebike and after testing all motors, I've eliminated bikes with the EP8...
Weak compared to everything else, inconsistent power delivery, outdated controls and super noisy...

paske

Apr 2, 2021
Belgium
Are you sure they’ve programmed the motor with the RS firmware? Does the E-Tube app show 60Nm max, or 85 when tweaking the profiles?
That was what I thought at first but they confirmed it was the right firmware. It is indeed limited to 60Nm in the app and I've got the motor report from the LBS extracted with the E-Tube PRO app that confirmes it.

michael_bc

Sep 4, 2023
Laax, Switzerland
Good evening when I look at new bikes loads of them come with ep8 they look great and are great price BUT I see all these reviews complaining about less power and the rattle ? . I've got a giant trance now with pwx 2 80nm it's all the power I need 😁 so I'm wondering is it the case that just riding in a group chilled on a Sunday it's no disadvantage unless your going flat out on a ews e power stage ? Any thoughts would be appreciated cheers
My personal opinion - I have a Bosch CX and an EP801.

The EP801 is so much smoother and more enjoyable than the Bosch. Both are fantastic but at the moment I'm happier with the Shimano. I prefer how much easier it is to climb, it's less jerky, power output seems similar.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles