Levo Gen 3 Worth upgrading Code RS to RSC?

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
I have a Levo Expert, anyone upgraded to the RSC levers and did you notice much improvement?
I have fitted the HS2 rotors which improved a little and wondered if having bite adjust gave a better feel.
I’ve tried the latest Hopes on a mates bike and they felt more powerful to me but that’s a much lighter bike.
Love the bike, just feel I’m chasing better brakes.

Cheers

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
When they work properly, RSC are some of the best performing brakes you can buy. However, in my experience they need a higher than average level of bleeding and cleaning/lubing and in the end I gave up. I am running TRP DHR Evo, also very very good. To answer the question, will RSC perform better than RS, in my experience absolutely yes. But best to weigh up the other options too.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
I have both RS and RSC on a couple of my bikes, I think RSs work great, and I don't really use the RSC function beyond while doing a bleed.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I just pulled the RSCs off my Levo Pro, they got replaced with Hope Tech 4 V4s. I haven’t ridden them yet as I screwed up when I cut the hose so I’m waiting on a new olive/Barb. I had ordered TRP DHR Evos but after a screw up with shipping I canceled and went with my other choice.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
With RSCs you get a number of enhancements over the others in the Code range. The lever pivot runs on a sealed bearing, piston has greater fluid volume, reservoir has greater fluid volume and the calliper pistons are different material. The swinglink ( "S") is not exclusive to RSC but the contact point adjustment ( "C") is. I have RSCs on both bikes and cannot fault them ( 220/200 rotors). I dont recognise the comment a bout extra bleeding required.............I have only ever bled the brakes on an annual basis in order to refresh the fluid, and on RSCs with the bleeding edge system it is a quick and simple job. The comment a bout maintenance is, as far as I am concerned really only a need to clean and lube the rear calliper pistons about 3 times a year, so no big deal ( I accept that may depend on the trail conditions you ride in however).
RSCs need sintered pads and I use Race Ti pads which are considerably cheaper than SRAM pads and, if anything, are easier to bed in and have better bite......they seem to last just as long as well.
What I have found with sintered pads is that wiping the rotor over with IPA or brake cleaner occasionally keeps them working well, and it best to change them when they start laying down black deposits on the rotor rather than because they are well worn. A rear set of pads typically does a bout 700 miles on my bikes. The front pads last longer but I always change them at the same time as the rear pads.

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Thanks everyone, when you have given the Hopes a good blast would be interested in seeing how you get on with the extra weight of an Ebike.
Thank you MikerB, really informative and top tip with the pads I will give them a go. Running the SRAM sintered, tried the Uber bike ebike pads, but didn’t get on with them. Will try the Race Ti. Need new ones in. Cheers

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I just changed to RSC and as with the R I use the pads that came with the bike SRAM sintered. No difference at all except I adjusted bite point.

STK

Apr 23, 2019
San Diego
On my Gen 1 Kenevo I replaced the OEM Code R which had over 11k miles with RSC take offs but new and should have done it years ago. As you can see I definitely got a lot of use out of the OEMs but regret not changing from the start.. @Mikerb gives a great description of why, but especially on eMTB where the pad wear is so much faster (sometimes only 400 miles on rear) the bite point adjust is critical. The RSCs are the first positive experience I’ve had with SRAM brakes having suffered on other bikes with Guides seizing up in hot temps and has almost redeemed Sram in my eyes….Almost🤣 With the Code R, their best benefit of modulation meant nothing since the bite point would wander so much despite frequent bleeds and pad changes. Now I would even consider keeping the RSCs if they come on my next bike and if these continue to perform may stop me from badmouthing SRAM brakes. Best $300 I’ve spent on the Kenevo!

IMG_7342.jpeg IMG_7329.jpeg

RodneyH

May 28, 2023
Orange County
Just get some decent brakes. The easiest/cheapest way is go to eBay and buy a set of Magua MT thirty for around $75 each side (approx half off). 4 pots on each end with great lever feel and breaking power. I got the MT trail sports initially and then desired to have a 4 pot on the rear, so I got a set of these cheap and used the calipers. Then I needed another set for a back up bike, so I bought a couple more. Feel just as good as the MT7 on my brothers bike, but for a fraction of the cost.

Hope it’s OK to put a link in here.

rdbowden

Oct 21, 2022
Tewksbury, MA
I upgraded to RSC on my GEN 3 Levo. The bite adjustment works the opposite of how you think. You can only add free stroke, not reduce it. I did a lot of research and there are all kinds of tips on how to reduce free stroke. None of them worked for me. I bought the SRAM pro bleed kit to make sure the bleed was good on the Codes. I ended up putting on Shimano SLX (got them on sale) and I am happy with them. In my experience, SRAM requires a lot more TLC than Shimano. However, some people get along just fine with SRAM brakes.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I upgraded to RSC on my GEN 3 Levo. The bite adjustment works the opposite of how you think. You can only add free stroke, not reduce it. I did a lot of research and there are all kinds of tips on how to reduce free stroke. None of them worked for me. I bought the SRAM pro bleed kit to make sure the bleed was good on the Codes. I ended up putting on Shimano SLX (got them on sale) and I am happy with them. In my experience, SRAM requires a lot more TLC than Shimano. However, some people get along just fine with SRAM brakes.
.........??? you can adjust both free s troke and bite point................note that you have to do both in turn, to get the brakes where you want them, and also note that since the levers are the same for left and right hand side the bite adjust wheel is in the opposie direction on one lever compared to the other.
I like my levers pretty close such that my index finder wraps it without hitting the bite point, and the bite point set only about 20mm from the bars. I find that enables a more secure grip on the bars and faster brake operation, especially on fast downhill runs.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Thanks everyone, when you have given the Hopes a good blast would be interested in seeing how you get on with the extra weight of an Ebike.
Thank you MikerB, really informative and top tip with the pads I will give them a go. Running the SRAM sintered, tried the Uber bike ebike pads, but didn’t get on with them. Will try the Race Ti. Need new ones in. Cheers
I ha e been running Hope e4 on my bikes (including Fuel exe) and 2 riding friends have them on their Levos and absolutely zero issues

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
I have a Levo Expert, anyone upgraded to the RSC levers and did you notice much improvement?
I have fitted the HS2 rotors which improved a little and wondered if having bite adjust gave a better feel.
I’ve tried the latest Hopes on a mates bike and they felt more powerful to me but that’s a much lighter bike.
Love the bike, just feel I’m chasing better brakes.

Cheers
Shimano slx 7120 or xt 8120 Is the solution

Reactions: rzr

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Oh just re read.. no RS to RSC not worth it, I went from R to RSC and pretty happy but still want to upgrade to something else. Mt7 or the hopes look dope as shiot

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
If you are particular about how close your lever comes to the bars before you hit the bite point, then Code RSC brakes are great. Shimano Saints are terrible if you like the levers close to the bars as the lever adjuster will only bring the lever in so far, especially with new pads. I used to use Saints as they are great brakes but they caused hand cramps on long steep descents. All my bikes have Code RSC brakes on them and I don't hand cramps any more. YMMV.

seanallgire

Nov 21, 2022
USA
I have SRAM brakes on my bikes - CODE RS on my Levo, Guide GS on my Amish bike. I personally don't like the "modulation" of SRAMs - the levers have to move too much IMO, but the performance of the brakes has never let me down. I thought about upgrading to the RSC versions, but decided to try these - Carbon Fiber Deslackinators™ for SRAM® Guide, Code-R, Code RS, and G2-R Brakes – Matter-Replicator - before dropping the cash to add the contact point adjustment. I've got my levers so dialed now, think a couple of millimeters of pull.

Long story short, you're not gonna find a cheaper upgrade than something like this. You might still not like the CODES but you'll only be out $30ish bucks. If you get another set of brakes and find you don't like them, then you're out a lot more.

Reactions: STK

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
I have SRAM brakes on my bikes - CODE RS on my Levo, Guide GS on my Amish bike. I personally don't like the "modulation" of SRAMs - the levers have to move too much IMO, but the performance of the brakes has never let me down. I thought about upgrading to the RSC versions, but decided to try these - Carbon Fiber Deslackinators™ for SRAM® Guide, Code-R, Code RS, and G2-R Brakes – Matter-Replicator - before dropping the cash to add the contact point adjustment. I've got my levers so dialed now, think a couple of millimeters of pull.

Long story short, you're not gonna find a cheaper upgrade than something like this. You might still not like the CODES but you'll only be out $30ish bucks. If you get another set of brakes and find you don't like them, then you're out a lot more.
Cheers for the link, I will give them a go. Gave the brakes some love today. Good clean new pads etc. Bedded in and working as they should. If I can improve lever travel that would be great. Fitted the HS2 rotors which I think helped a little. See how these go and will keep people posted. If still not happy then will swap out the brakes.

tjl5709

Feb 20, 2023
Michigan
I did a number of things to my levo expert. I upgraded the front disc to 220mm, I installed MTX pads, and I found a video on how to adjust Sram brakes on youtube. I see no need to upgrade anything. The adjustment video covered everthing, and it did a world of difference to how they feel. I am now worried when I grab my front on a down hill at speed of going over the bars, they are that strong.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles